What's new

How handy are you with your hands?

xibxang

Postman
No, it's not a perverted question! :)

I'm an engineer by trade and so far I've done some bits and bobs to my cloned mods and atties to make them work a little better. I've worked with different metals for years now and while I'm not a miracle worker, I've done some pretty good work on my vaping collection.

How comfortable are you guys and girls with doing work on your gear? I ask because a couple of my friends have now approached me and asked me to sort out little snags and add extra holes to their bits and pieces. I'm mulling over the idea of providing this as a service to a small number of people, mainly so that I can start to get a better understanding of mods and drippers work (with a view to eventually making my own). My "cost" for this service would be to provide a pre-paid return envelope with any work that needed to be done and for a couple of quid to be donated to CHAS (Children's Hospice Association Scotland). This is all very much pie-in-the-sky thinking for now, but it's been on my mind, which is why I write this post.

Again, I'm not a miracle worker and I'm not an advanced modder (hence why I'm posting this here) but I'm pretty good at sorting out crunchy buttons and all of the niggly things that would annoy any vaper. I can't magically repair broken atomiser posts, but 510 threads are easy to clean up. I don't have an expansive collection of taps and dies to clean up tube mod thread sizes. That said, a copper brush usually fixes most of those types of maladies. I don't have advanced polishing gear either so I can't take your brushed and pitted stainless gear and give them a mirror finish.

So this is what I'm asking. Would the good people of this sub-forum find a use for such a service? As you can see, I'm not looking for profit but raising some pennies for a noble charity is something I would be interested in. I'd be interested in some opinions.

How about drilling extra air holes or enlarging air holes ?

I've got a couple of igo l topcaps that need the airholes drilling out. I'm happy to provide a SAE for their return and could certainly make a donation to the charity of your choice. Drop me a pm if you're interested.

Also an engineer by trade (and profession) here. This is something I've thought about, but perhaps providing a full blown taylor-made mod service. I would absolutely love to do this sort of thing but I'd be completely reliant on the machines at work being free and me having enough spare time at work to do it (or the boss being sick!). I do however, have an inkling that it could be more trouble than it's worth. I imagine a lot of people don't understand how long it takes to create a quality one-off item - how many hours of your life do you think you've spent in front of a DTI trying to tease out that last 5 microns of run-out? I can picture a lot of people receiving something and requesting a "trivial" alteration.

I think the only way to do it properly would be to draw up 3D models and send them back and forward until a design was finalised. This would add even more time and for me to be willing to do that I'd need to be paid and I think I'd have to be doing it full time. Sadly not something I could do for charity, unless I could really take my time and it was 3off/year.

I have a Versa dripper that has three posts for dual coil but only 1 air hole.
I think the manufacturer forgot to drill in the extra air hole

I've got a couple of igo l topcaps that need the airholes drilling out. I'm happy to provide a SAE for their return and could certainly make a donation to the charity of your choice. Drop me a pm if you're interested.
Let me get back to you, Simon. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I'll see if I can get 5miley sorted out first then I'll PM you.

I have a Versa dripper that has three posts for dual coil but only 1 air hole.
I think the manufacturer forgot to drill in the extra air hole
I just an image search and I found this. The versa should only have two posts?

t4F2aYL.jpg

Although that's neither here nor there. Is it just another hole like this you need, only 180 degrees around?

pn0YcOV.jpg

Back
Top Bottom