What's new

Innokin MVP Pod - Disposables killer

I was sent this little beauty by @Innokin to review last week and I have been hammering it for days:
https://www.innokin.com/mvp-pod-kit

Innokin_MVP_Pod-2.jpg

Innokin have gone 'Back to the basics' according to their official page which pretty much sums up what the MVP is about, in this case 'basic' is a good thing as the MVP gives you quite a remarkable MTL vape, so far Innokin have avoided the disposables market, instead they have come up with a simpler device that offers much more than throw-away jobbies and ideal for novice vapers.

The specs are on the official page but the main things you need to know are:
  • 107.9mm x 22.7mm x 13.4mm
  • 500mAh battery
  • Pod capacity 2.7ml (2ml TPD)
They don't mention the weight but it comes in at just under 50g with a full pod which is pretty light and ideal for a lanyard, the height is a little taller than a lot of pods but the width and depth have been kept small and makes it feel compact in your hand.

Unboxing
Innokin are leading the way in recyclable packaging and the MVP's packaging is 100% paper based including the top tray, it might not be as secure as blown plastic and rattles a bit in the box but still keeps the device secure and I much prefer this more planet friendly approach.

Innokin_MVP_Pod-3.jpg

The contents are as you would expect from a pod kit; the MVP device with a pre-installed pod, a spare pod (in a sealed paper bag), a USB-C cable (paper wrap), the multi-language user manual and a safety warning card.

Innokin_MVP_Pod-4.jpg

I admire Innokin's approach to their packaging but I think the manual could be eliminated for basic kits like the MVP as it is brief and could be printed on the box perhaps? It would also be good to start seeing versions without a USB cable but this could be tricky; especially on starter devices like the MVP, what are your thoughts?

Innokin_MVP_Pod-1.jpg

Anyways.... The MVP is a 2 piece device that has the main battery section and replaceable pods, it is either draw activated or fire button operated with 2 variable power settings, they have kept it as simple as possible but with a couple of functions to make it safer in my opinion; such as being able to turn the device On/Off which a lot of pods omit.

Innokin_MVP_Pod-7.jpg

The pod fits into the battery easily and sits in place firmly due to some tiny magnets which are surprisingly strong, it seems to be a near airtight fit which helps with tightening the airflow which is directed through pin-prick holes on either side.

Innokin_MVP_Pod-5.jpg

Although Innokin have kept it simplistic the MVP still has some nice styling features; the main all metal chassis is well rounded and feels comfortable to hold, the main styling is in the front and rear panels, I was sent the 'Liquid Amber' version which has an oil on water effect and looks pretty good, the resolution is excellent and really adds the style to the kit.
(I have seen a Union Jack one and that looks superb!)

Innokin_MVP_Pod-11.jpg

The USB-C port is positioned on one side so you can charge it stood up or on its side, I find on it's side easier as it can topple over otherwise.

There's one subtle feature that isn't obvious until you use it; the fire button is ever so slightly inset which might not sound much but it adds to the feel of it and better still; this makes it harder to pocket fire, yet you can still easily find the fire button in your hand without looking.

Innokin_MVP_Pod-6.jpg

Keeping with the 'Back to the basics' theme Innokin have gone with just one pod option: 0.65Ω coil which I found a bit of an odd MTL coil choice but Innokin have limited the power of the device accordingly, when I read the ohms on the box I wrongly assumed it was going to be RDL or a loose MTL but it turned out to be a rather decent MTL draw.

I can see why Innokin have gone for only one pod option as it makes it far simpler for novices to simply choose this device and make it simpler to replace pods, however; this might put off more experienced vapers that are used to higher ohm MTL coils (1.0ohm etc.).

Innokin_MVP_Pod-8.jpg

The pod is all in one so you cannot change the coil which is a bit wasteful, but this does suit many new vapers looking for pure simplicity and has to be a far better option than 'disposable vape bars', the actual waste of the pod isn't as much as I've seen in other throw-away pods as the plastic is thin and a simple construction, likewise with the coil inside as it uses very little metal.

The pod is side filling via a little silicone bung you prise out with your fingernail, I found it simple enough to do and filling it up was mess free, but there was one glaring problem with the 2ml TPD version; Innokin had to limit the 2.7ml pod with a top restriction seal so juice cannot go into the hollow mouthpiece, this does the job but at the cost of being able to see your juice level when vaping as you cannot see a single drop, the only way to check is to keep removing the pod to look, I don't know how big the TPD market is but I wish Innokin had made a 2ml version of the pod, perhaps they will in the future?

Controls
As you can expect; the MVP is simple to use; here's the manual:

MVP-Instructions.jpg

Ironically they don't tell you how to turn it On/Off but that's simply 3 x FIRE, to vape the device I would suggest you simply use the draw activation as it works flawlessly, simply draw as you would a cigarette without pressing the fire button.

Performance
There was a couple of surprises here; firstly and most pleasingly was the airflow as it was a well balanced tight-ish MTL draw which I wasn't expecting due to it being fixed, you can tell Innokin have worked on this and the result should suit most MTL vapers, secondly was the vape itself; I had been expecting an overpowering and warmer vape due to the 0.65ohm coil but it felt more like 1.0-1.2ohm coil to me which is a good thing for a MTL device and the output power matched that at 11watts to 12.5watts max, changing the power level was simply done by double clicking the fire button (repeat to cycle back and forth) I found 11watts to be absolutely fine but the extra 1.5watts are there if you prefer a bit warmer.

The auto-draw performed flawlessly and the vape was instant, I simply didn't need the fire button other than to turn it On/Off but I am glad it's there (I don't like devices that you cannot turn off), there's one little quirk with the vape and that's a slight buzzing sound when you vape, this is normal for the MVP (as it was for the Sceptre), it isn't loud but noticeable in a silent room.

Battery life was reasonable but only 500mAh and didn't last me a full day of regular use, it would last me a full pod of 2ml juice though and I found top-up charging useful during downtime, unless I have missed something; there's no battery status indicator other than when it's too low to vape and blinks Red? charging time wasn't that quick as it's only 0.65amp and can take up to an hour from flat, on average it was around 45 minutes.

My first thoughts were to compare the MVP to the Sceptre but I did find they were different animals, the Sceptre wasn't complicated but does suit more experienced vapers due to the interchangeable coils, larger battery, adjustable airflow and 3 power levels, however; the MVP will appeal to novice vapers more and a sensible upgrade from disposables, the MVP is also much nicer in the hand with its narrower body and rounded off edges, surprisingly the MVP became a replacement to the Sceptre as I found the coil performance better in flavour and coil lifespan.

Innokin_MVP_Pod-9.jpg

Conclusion
You have to bear in mind Innokin's aim with the MVP pod kit; 'BACK TO THE BASIC'S' and they certainly have achieved that as the MVP is simplicity in everyway, if an ex-smoker or disposables user cannot use this then there's no hope for them, pleasingly there's also something for existing vapers due to the quality of the vape and compact comfortable size.

Innokin_MVP_Pod-10.jpg

Final Thoughts
The MVP pod kit is one of those devices I would happily pass onto a smoke looking to quit, there's nothing other than filling the pod that they need to learn to get going, Innokin have balanced the airflow, warmth and flavour that should please most MTL vapers also. Would I buy one? Though I have pods coming out of my ears I'm eyeing up buying a Union Jack version.

There's a few areas I would have preferred to see changed (TPD pod, battery level, quicker charging) but I think Innokin have achieved their Simplicity mission overall.

**GIVEAWAY**
If I get the Union Jack version I will be passing this onto someone via a giveaway, Comment below if you are interested or are sure you can convert a smoker or better still; a disposables user with this device.
(big end of year giveaway coming soon)

Thank you @Innokin for letting me test this device :)

Back
Top Bottom