What's new

Lavabox

philTBA

Achiever
This is another review that isn't a review. :)
(Usual T&Cs, own spendies yady yada)

When I seen @LordLava 's post on the blood red/black Lavabox, my interest was well and truly pricked. With the info from Volcano & @Huggett (cheers Ash :D ) the decision was made. :D
My new blood red/black Lavabox arrived today. First impressions ?
It's a LiPo powered DNA200 mod. There's nothing more needs said !
There is more though. The first good sign was, it arrived with a LiPo the HADN'T partially vented ! :) It's smaller than I expected, around 3mm shorter and 10mm narrower than a VTBox200. Personally, I think Volcano have got this right. Fit & finish is lovely, and it just feels like it's been designed round the cell, rather than designing the mod, then half asseing the job by trying to find a cell that fits. (VTBox200) proof of this has to be the 1300mAh cell 'upgrade' that comes with an extended cover to allow for the bigger cell. If you run higher watts, you'll want this. Even with that fitted, the Lavabox would only be 15mm wider than a VT, so shouldn't feel like a big lump in your hand. It's nicely packaged, has some spare screws, and a small black box. It's a 'fold flat' 2 pin (shaver plug) USB charge outlet. There's also a user guide, a proper one, not a folded, flimsy sheet of paper with minimal info.
And it's a DNA200. :D

Why do evolve set the default low volt cut off at 3.09v. Yer nice new 3s LiPo won't last long at that. :)

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Few more pics for size comparison, and the fit of the case cover. :)
Oh, and the inverted 'L' on one side. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Why do evolve set the default low volt cut off at 3.09v. Yer nice new 3s LiPo won't last long at that. :)

I agree, from my RC days it was always drummed into me never let a cell drop below 3.2v.... therefore all mine are set accordingly.

I agree, from my RC days it was always drummed into me never let a cell drop below 3.2v.... therefore all mine are set accordingly.

Yeah, rock bottom cut off 3.2v. I set my DNAs at 3.3v, just as an added 'cushion'. :)

Lavabox Extender Pack.

This is what's in the pack.
1300mAh 3s LiPo
Extended case cover
Extended grip
2x extended case screws
4x grip screws
2x battery pads

It's nice to see Volcano keeping with tradition, and including the much loved small blue screwdriver. lol (you'll notice I used my own screwdriver :D)
The first thing I noticed when I stripped it down, this is a few steps up from a strip of yellow electronic cellophane.

Body, stock cell & case, extender pack.

1300mAh in place and battery pads.

The shut lines are bang on. It looks like there's a 'kink' at the join, but it's perfectly flat. :)

Grip fitted, chunky Lavabox.

This is how it compares to the VTbox200 with the extender pack fitted.

Even with the extra bulk, the Lavabox is still lighter than the VT.
After using it for a week the Lavabox looks 'odd' now, almost square, but it'll probably look 'right' again in a couple of days. :)
The extender pack all fits together, and to the mod body perfectly. With hands the work, it's a 15 minute job to strip down & rebuild.
There's just one thing I find odd. The 900mAh 3s is rated @ 30c constant 60c burst. The 1300mAh 3s is rated @ 20c constant 40c burst.

Last edited:
Phil, I'm going to shoot you!

I now need another Lavabox, I can't justify de-wrapping the one I have.

@Huggett, oops ! :D @LordLava, I'm really impressed with it. :)

While I'm here, I'll update this as I've been using it for a while.
It's a DNA200, so it goes without sayin it's been a rock solid vape. In 900mAh spec, it's a nice 'fit in your pocket, out an about' size, with an all day use time, up to around 55-60w range. In 1300mAh spec, there's quite a hop up in use time, it looked a bit 'square' with the extender fitted, but after a couple of days it looked 'right' again. :)

@Huggett, oops ! :D @LordLava, I'm really impressed with it. :)

While I'm here, I'll update this as I've been using it for a while.
It's a DNA200, so it goes without sayin it's been a rock solid vape. In 900mAh spec, it's a nice 'fit in your pocket, out an about' size, with an all day use time, up to around 55-60w range. In 1300mAh spec, there's quite a hop up in use time, it looked a bit 'square' with the extender fitted, but after a couple of days it looked 'right' again. :)
Nice review philtba. Will do a review of my smy DNA 200 when I finally get round to learning to post pictures. Really impressed and it seems to get overlooked.

Nice review philtba. Will do a review of my smy DNA 200 when I finally get round to learning to post pictures. Really impressed and it seems to get overlooked.

Cheers. :) photos are easy mate, either photobucket/img hosting site, or just use the 'upload file' button below the message box. :)

Back
Top Bottom