What's new

Measuring volt drop on a Mech?

MTB Vaper

Postman
What's the best way to measure volt drop on a mech? I've got a Fluke multi meter would connecting it to the posts on RDA be good enough?

inline volt meters are great for this, way easier than fiddling with a multimeter.

I'd be using fluke meter anyway to measure the battery, then if I use it to measure the drop using the same meter it will be a good comparison. Will be more effort though.

I'm guessing measuring the terminals across the battery first will give you the direct voltage of the battery. Then measure the 510 pin of the mech will give you the voltage across the 510 pin of the mech mod. Then measure across the posts of the RDA itself. That way you have the voltage drop/change across all 3 areas.

Without one of those inline testers, not sure how I'd measure at the 510 safely as there hybrid 510 connections.

Without one of those inline testers, not sure how I'd measure at the 510 safely as there hybrid 510 connections.
If it's a true mech then you measure the floating 510 pin to the negative casing. A hybrid doesnt have a floating 510 pin as the RDA/ RTA screws directly onto the positive terminal of the battery so you would measure across the two posts in the RDA/RTA.

Thanks, I'll stick to my original plan then. Got a old velocity I dont use, so I'll use that to measure the voltage.

Sorry to jump on this

In truth I don't have a clue what an inline voltmeter is nor a multimeter actually is (sure I know what one looks like), but what to do with one, not a scooby

But I have lots of mechs, and would like to measure voltage drop etc, partly out of maintenance/fault diagnosis if I feel a mod isn't performing as it should, rather than just stripping and cleaning, or guessing

What should I buy, that is sensitive enough to do the job, doesn't cost the earth, and doesn't give me a headache working out how to use it

Sorry to jump on this

In truth I don't have a clue what an inline voltmeter is nor a multimeter actually is (sure I know what one looks like), but what to do with one, not a scooby

But I have lots of mechs, and would like to measure voltage drop etc, partly out of maintenance/fault diagnosis if I feel a mod isn't performing as it should, rather than just stripping and cleaning, or guessing

What should I buy, that is sensitive enough to do the job, doesn't cost the earth, and doesn't give me a headache working out how to use it
I would get a cheap multimeter off Amazon for around £15-£20 as it's always handy to have for others things as well.

Set the two dial switches, 1 to DC (straight line not the wavey one) volts and the other to 20V range. Then you can check the battery voltage and volt drop across the mod.

Back
Top Bottom