What's new

New TPD ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muttydog

Postman
reading in the Mirror today online

there is a ban coming to menthol flavoured cigarettes and filter tips for tobacco
Also any other 'technical feature' that modifies the flavour
This law kicks in on the 20th May 2020

I cant post a link here, but how long before it becomes a flavour ban on vapes just like across the pond?

I think this was included in the original tpd legislation in 2016 whereby all flavoured tobacco products were to be outlawed in the EU from May 2020.
Even though UK is leaving EU, the tpd legislation was adopted into UK legislation in 2016 so unless the UK decides to change the law at a future date, the ban will stand.

As an optimist, I'll say unlikely.

The removal of menthol cigarettes and flavoured tobacco actually came in with all things TPD in 2016, the difference being the vape industry got a 1 year grace period to get compliant whereas big T got 4 years. Remember, this all came down from the EU while we were obliged to implement their laws for all member states. Here we are some 5-6 years after some folks round a table in Brussels had a terrible idea, but this isn't some new hard stance on flavoured things.

On the plus side (whatever your Brexit views may be), once the above no longer applies, anything could happen. As far as Europe goes, the UK has one of the more forward thinking attitudes to vaping and a government that at least says they want to cut red tape. Will they rework the TRPR? Probably not, but I think they'd be very cautious about tightening it up in any way.

On the negative, if anything does change for the worse it could happen a lot faster through only our parliament than through the EU first. But as I say, I'm an optimist :D

As an optimist, I'll say unlikely.

The removal of menthol cigarettes and flavoured tobacco actually came in with all things TPD in 2016, the difference being the vape industry got a 1 year grace period to get compliant whereas big T got 4 years. Remember, this all came down from the EU while we were obliged to implement their laws for all member states. Here we are some 5-6 years after some folks round a table in Brussels had a terrible idea, but this isn't some new hard stance on flavoured things.

On the plus side (whatever your Brexit views may be), once the above no longer applies, anything could happen. As far as Europe goes, the UK has one of the more forward thinking attitudes to vaping and a government that at least says they want to cut red tape. Will they rework the TRPR? Probably not, but I think they'd be very cautious about tightening it up in any way.

On the negative, if anything does change for the worse it could happen a lot faster through only our parliament than through the EU first. But as I say, I'm an optimist :D

TPD3 is already lining up an attack on squonking, marketing and flavours. Any company relying on cross-border sales will be hit and, all indications are, we will adopt TPD3 into legislation despite being isolated from its development thanks to Brexit.

We’ve lost a number of key figures from the government committees which bodes ill, we’ll have to see how they are made up over the next month or so as to how they’ll influence policy moving forward.

There’s also a strong undercurrent objecting to PMI/BATs influence through groups related to Tufton Street/FSFW.

I think this could be a really tough couple of years for the independent sector.

@Mawsley i mentioned this in another thread but I reckon you’d be the man who’d have a considered view on it. Do you think a post brexit USA trade deal might require us ditching tpd and aligning tobacco and related regulations to america’s? I think it’s something that could potentially have negative consequences (although from your post above the next phase of tpd doesn’t sound very positive either).

@Mawsley i mentioned this in another thread but I reckon you’d be the man who’d have a considered view on it. Do you think a post brexit USA trade deal might require us ditching tpd and aligning tobacco and related regulations to america’s? I think it’s something that could potentially have negative consequences (although from your post above the next phase of tpd doesn’t sound very positive either).

Can't see it tbh mate. Totally my own view as it's not anything that's been discussed, but the US is only interested in changing regulations that benefit its own businesses & exports ... and by the end of the year it won't have any vape businesses to speak of outside of the Big T and Pharma. Vaping is a dead man walking in America. It only bothers about tobacco when it comes to TMSA declining revenue; nothing we do here impacts that.

reading in the Mirror today online

there is a ban coming to menthol flavoured cigarettes and filter tips for tobacco
Also any other 'technical feature' that modifies the flavour
This law kicks in on the 20th May 2020

I cant post a link here, but how long before it becomes a flavour ban on vapes just like across the pond?
Pretty happy about it to be honest, my Mrs smokes a ton of cigs a day, she decided to give vaping Menthol Juice a try, she's vaping now and is much healthier so really can't complain.

If you look at the statistics of registering a vape business, you will not notice any decline)) This business is in demand, even such services confirm this - A small shop opened even on my street. And about online stores, I can generally keep silent. What they banned there if I can still buy everything I want))

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom