What's new

Nicotine in VG or PG?

Xinte

Postman
Hi all,
I aplogise in advance if my question seems daft, but although I have been DIY mixing for a while, I decided to change my VG/PG ratio to 70/30 due to a possible sensitivity to PG, I have some Drakes longfills which are 70/30 VG/PG and I use the "higher" strength nicotine in PG normally in DIY . If I want to keep the Drakes overall liquid ratio at 70/30 VG/PG should I use nicotine in PG or nicotine in VG, as I don't want to mess up the ratios by using the wrong nicotine base, thank you

Not sure I really understand what you’re asking, but to keep it at 70/30 you need to add additional VG/PG at a ratio of 70/30.

If the stock of Nic you are using is PG based then you need to add VG to the nic to make the nic solution 70/30. Essentially you need to add 2 and a third ml of VG to every ml of PG based nic to make the nic solution a 70/30 mix.

If, for example you were to add 2ml of PG based nic to a 50ml 70/30 shortfill, just add 4.5 to 5ml of VG to it. If it ends up being 69/31 or 71/29 the world won't end as it will be close enough.

Last edited:
If the stock of Nic you are using is PG based then you need to add VG to the nic to make the nic solution 70/30. Essentially you need to add 2 and a third ml of VG to every ml of PG based nic to make the nic solution a 70/30 mix.

If, for example you were to add 2ml of PG based nic to a 50ml 70/30 shortfill, just add 4.5 to 5ml of VG to it. If it ends up being 69/31 or 71/29 the world won't end as it will be close enough.

Thank you for your replies, I apologise for not making it clearer, I'm assuming the bottles of Drake's I have are shortfills, as they say 70/30 on the label and ingredients are 70% VG, 30% PG and flavour concentrate, I only have to add nicotine to make up to 60ml, what I was asking was does it matter if I add nic in VG or nic in PG, I have both, but don't want to mess up the 70/30 base making it higher VG/PG depending on the nic I use. It seems easier to mix from scratch as I just input all of the ingredients into the calculator including the nic base (Vg or PG) and it's worked out for me, but adding nic to a shortfill does it matter if its in VG or PG base?

Thank you for your replies, I apologise for not making it clearer, I'm assuming the bottles of Drake's I have are shortfills, as they say 70/30 on the label and ingredients are 70% VG, 30% PG and flavour concentrate, I only have to add nicotine to make up to 60ml, what I was asking was does it matter if I add nic in VG or nic in PG, I have both, but don't want to mess up the 70/30 base making it higher VG/PG depending on the nic I use. It seems easier to mix from scratch as I just input all of the ingredients into the calculator including the nic base (Vg or PG) and it's worked out for me, but adding nic to a shortfill does it matter if its in VG or PG base?

What you haven’t told us is what nic strength you are mixing to, so the only thing I can tell you is that to keep it 70/30 you would need to add 7ml of VG and 3 ml of PG.

If you are mixing to 3mg, then add 2.5ml of nic. Makes absolutely no difference where the nic comes from. Just add the other 7.5 ml (of VG/PG) to make up the 7ml and 3ml respectively.

That was a the gist of my original answer.

What you haven’t told us is what nic strength you are mixing to, so the only thing I can tell you is that to keep it 70/30 you would need to add 7ml of VG and 3 ml of PG.

If you are mixing to 3mg, then add 2.5ml of nic. Makes absolutely no difference where the nic comes from. Just add the other 7.5 ml (of VG/PG) to make up the 7ml and 3ml respectively.

That was a the gist of my original answer.
My apologies Hack for the late reply, unfortunately life got in the way . I'm mixing to 18mg, one of the DIY mixing community has since informed me that I should use VG Nicotine to keep my ratio and not PG Nicotine, so I will give that a try, but I really appreciate your replies, thank you

My apologies Hack for the late reply, unfortunately life got in the way . I'm mixing to 18mg, one of the DIY mixing community has since informed me that I should use VG Nicotine to keep my ratio and not PG Nicotine, so I will give that a try, but I really appreciate your replies, thank you

You won’t be able to mix a 50ml shortfills to 18mg and fit it in a 60ml bottle. Technically, the max you can get a shortfill to is 12mg.

You need 15ml of nic, which will not only not fit but will also weaken the strength of the juice (although not by much).

You could add 10.5ml of VG nic and 4.5ml of pg nic and keep the 70/30 ratio, if it fits…

Last edited:
You won’t be able to mix a 50ml shortfills to 18mg and fit it in a 60ml bottle. Technically, the max you can get a shortfill to is 12mg.

You need 15ml of nic, which will not only not fit but will also weaken the strength of the juice (although not by much).

You could add 10.5ml of VG nic and 4.5ml of pg nic and keep the 70/30 ratio, if it fits…
Thanks Hack, I always mix or transfer into 100ml bottles as it gives more room to shake and mix thoroughly and good call on using both PG and VG based nics

Back
Top Bottom