What's new

Oh how Stephen Hawking has the world sorted!

Bessie Braddock to Winston Churchill "Winston, your drunk!"
Churchill: "Bessie, you're ugly, and tomorrow morning I shall be sober"

"The fundamental cause of trouble in the world is that the stupid people are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt - think it was said by Bertrand Russell

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender."
there was abit on radio 2 about this quote the other week and it was really surprising as we all think that this so each was a great rallying call to the country. We all know this bit and its become a speech of legendary proportions. History,it seems, has tricked us all though, as at the time it was hugely unpopular. It was actually saying that we will fight until we can fight no more but if the enemy pushes us back then we will fight by the sides of the Americans and Canadians to defend their lands. It was actually a pledge to support them rather than the battle cry that we've been led to believe it was. Personally I prefer to stick to the bit of the speech we all know but it goes to show that history is just the hand picked highlights.

What about this one then it's awesome and girl power at its very best. Queen Elizabeth the 1st talking about the Spanish Armada when they attacked us - I saw it on a poster a few months ago when I was in Gibraltar.

''I know I have the body of a weak, feeble woman; but I have the heart and stomach of a king, and of a king of England too, and think foul scorn that Parma or Spain, or any prince of Europe, should dare to invade the borders of my realm.''

My favourite Churchill quote apart from "Oh Yeessss"!!!! is "The best argument against Democracy is a Five minute conversation with the average voter"!!!:yahoo:

I'm proud and patriotic (not racist) and this is my all time favourite :

''We must be mad, literally mad, as a nation to be permitting the annual inflow of some 50,000 dependants, who are for the most part the material of the future growth of the immigrant descended population. It is like watching a nation busily engaged in heaping up its own funeral pyre. So insane are we that we actually permit unmarried persons to immigrate for the purpose of founding a family with spouses and fiancées whom they have never seen.''

Back
Top Bottom