What's new

New Zealand Smoking Ban Reversal

Interesting analysis of the New Zealand smoke-free proposals and the U-turn, from Clive Bates -
New Zealand’s tobacco endgame U-turn – a reversal or an advance?
https://clivebates.com/new-zealands-tobacco-endgame-u-turn-a-reversal-or-an-advance/

I didn't realise for example that the New Zealand model would have combined both incremental tobacco prohibition and denicotinisation...
we know that the tobacco industry was opposed, and i am sure corporate lobbying is afoot.
He covers that point here -
I have no idea if the tobacco companies are behind this reversal in some way. It certainly is possible. However, it’s also possible that these are political choices of the coalition parties: would it really be a surprise if a party of the right was concerned about lawlessness and the impact on small retailers, a populist party supported smokers, and a libertarian party saw these measures as state overreach? It is quite possible, therefore, that these are legitimate political choices made by parties in forming their coalition. Tobacco control colleagues might not like it, but tobacco industry influence is not necessary to explain this reversal. The coalition is not doing anything out of the ordinary for an election-winning, right-wing, populist, libertarian alliance. And remember, the endgame measures are a policy of the coalition’s defeated predecessors deliberately designed to take an outlying position relative to all other countries in the world.

One of the more pernicious trends in tobacco control is to see every doubt or opposition to extreme and outlier policies as support for the tobacco industry or resulting from tobacco industry influence. As I discussed above, it is possible to object to such measures on pragmatic or principled grounds. No one has a monopoly on righteousness.

Interesting analysis of the New Zealand smoke-free proposals and the U-turn, from Clive Bates -
New Zealand’s tobacco endgame U-turn – a reversal or an advance?
https://clivebates.com/new-zealands-tobacco-endgame-u-turn-a-reversal-or-an-advance/

I didn't realise for example that the New Zealand model would have combined both incremental tobacco prohibition and denicotinisation...

He covers that point here -

aye, he could be right about that but it is the case that big tobacco have been lobbying heavily against the repealed ban, and would no doubt have ramped it up once the populists got in.

Back
Top Bottom