What's new

Pioneer Dot RBA no vapour?

silken

Postman
Hi all,

I’m pretty new to rebuildables and am having difficulties with the Pioneer DotRBA for the dotmod Dotaio. I’ve added a coil, wicked it and… there’s virtually no vapour and a fair bit of gargle. I changed out the airflow pin for a larger size and this has made little difference.

It gets very hot when trying to use it. I’m sure it’s user error. Could it be too much cotton? Any advice would be appreciated.

I’m using a Coilology 0.26 Framed Staple 3mm.

What airflow pin are you using and what juice?
Which dotaio is it, if its the v2 what's your wattage?

The pioneer dotrba is top down juice flow so it's more likely to be not enough cotton than too much, especially if it's getting gargley.

Sounds like a hoofing great mass of a coil in such a small rba, no wonder it's getting hot, you don't mention the watts you're running it at, can't answer the no flavour bit without seeing the build.

I’m with @Phrasing and @John R . From the sound of it they are, probably, both right.
I’d not put that mass or size, in my dotRBA. And the gurgling, sure sounds like a wicking fault.
Can you pop up a few pics, of your RBA and it’s wicking, please?

I’m with @Phrasing and @John R . From the sound of it they are, probably, both right.
I’d not put that mass or size, in my dotRBA. And the gurgling, sure sounds like a wicking fault.
Can you pop up a few pics, of your RBA and it’s wicking, please?

Thank you! I decided to build myself a simple Kanthal coil and it is working really well now . Is there a wire type and size you would recommend for the dotrba?

Thank you! I decided to build myself a simple Kanthal coil and it is working really well now . Is there a wire type and size you would recommend for the dotrba?
It's all subjective, I've built the pioneer dotrba for my other half a lot. always with 2.5mm Id ni80 fused claptons or 26ga ni80 round wire.
For the boro version I use mostly round wire because it uses less liquid and with the mtl builds there is very little difference between large mass coils and round wire for flavour.

Once again, I’m with @John R and @Phrasing . I think more complex coils, of SS or Nichrome, aren’t really needed until you are heading down past .3. And even then Brochrome, flat Nichrome, is, probably, the best wire for a mech @.15 and lower.

if I were in your position I’d use round bar coils of SS or Nichrome. They’re both quit low resistance, though SS is the lowest. Or nife30, for temp control. Though your going to be much lower resistance, than even SS.

if I were you I’d use Steam Engine https://www.steam-engine.org/coil?mat=nife30stealth&r=0.25&awg=29&id=2.5. This will allow you to check and see which wire material, coil size and number of wraps will fit your needs. You can, effectively, practice without spending a penny. with a bit of practice, steam engine will let you see how to create complex coils, too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom