What's new

Regulated Mods & Amp Draw - someone teach me something

That would only give you the current it's firing through your atty not the current it's pulling from your battery, they are two different things.

Indeed they are but since the two are related knowing the output current you can calculate the input current, but really the best thing to do is just to look in the manual...

Nope - he wasn't. Just making me find the answers, (which I've tried haha). Rather than giving a good confirmation.

I do hope my DNA 35, does not draw 4.2 Volts when set @ 35W firing a .3 coil...

I use that site, the main point I wanted to get at was if it's firing @ 4.5 V is it drawing that from my battery, or does the circuitry step it up?

If firing at 4.5v it will be being stepped up as the batteries max voltage is 4.2 when freshly charged

I do hope my DNA 35, does not draw 4.2 Volts when set @ 35W firing a .3 coil...

I'd suspect that is exactly whats happening. One of the limitations of all DNA boards (I would think including the clones of them too) before the new DNA40 as far as I know. The only way to check for sure would be to put it on a meter. I'd guess it's hitting between about 40 and 55W depending on your battery's state of charge.

I use that site, the main point I wanted to get at was if it's firing @ 4.5 V is it drawing that from my battery, or does the circuitry step it up?

As Tubby said your battery only holds 4.2V max. The mod can't draw what's not there so steps it up to 4.5V via witchcraft.

I'd suspect that is exactly whats happening. One of the limitations of all DNA boards (I would think including the clones of them too) before the new DNA40 as far as I know. The only way to check for sure would be to put it on a meter. I'd guess it's hitting between about 40 and 55W depending on your battery's state of charge.

As Tubby said your battery only holds 4.2V max. The mod can't draw what's not there so steps it up to 4.5V via witchcraft.

I'm sorry, but that doesn't make sense. Why on earth would you buy a regulated mod if it couldn't step down the voltage?

I have a .7 ohm micro coil in there atm; 24awg. If I fire it at a low wattage setting on the Hana clone, it will take longer for the heat of the coil to ramp up.

Surely that shows the chip can reduce the voltage being put out? It's using a digital synchronous DC/DC converter. These are capable of stepping up or down the output voltage. DC-to-DC converter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Think I'm good guys, thanks for the input. I'll rock her upto 35W :) the batteries are fine in my Mech. Won't be building below .3 anyhow for now, as I run the one dripper on both.

Time to check out today's Zample box arrival!

I'm sorry, but that doesn't make sense. Why on earth would you buy a regulated mod if it couldn't step down the voltage?

I have a .7 ohm micro coil in there atm; 24awg. If I fire it at a low wattage setting on the Hana clone, it will take longer for the heat of the coil to ramp up.

Surely that shows the chip can reduce the voltage being put out? It's using a digital synchronous DC/DC converter. These are capable of stepping up or down the output voltage. DC-to-DC converter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Think I'm good guys, thanks for the input. I'll rock her upto 35W :) the batteries are fine in my Mech. Won't be building below .3 anyhow for now, as I run the one dripper on both.

Put a meter on it and find out then. I have to say I don't have one, just going on what I've researched.

Hope there are some nice juices in that box, I quite fancy a subscription myself but haven't decided on which one yet. Let us know what you think of it.

Yep before the DNA40 none of the DNA boards or clones had step down, they would just flash the resistance and dump the batteries voltage directly into the atty...

Back
Top Bottom