What's new

Smok xpro m80 plus updated review ( with smok gimlet sub ohm tank )

Phantom Diablo

Achiever
Just a short updated review of the smok xpro m80 plus purchased from myepack ( SMOK XPRO M80 PLUS - Mods )

after the initial problems with the first unit i had which turned out to be a broken wire inside i received my second unit and purchased at the same time the Smok Gimet ( Smok GCT ) tank which comes as standard with ni200 0.2 ohm pure nickel coil and holds 4ml juice.

first off the mod
the first thing that strikes you is the weight and quality. this things heavy but not uncormfortably so. the matt black finish has a slight orange peel effect in that its not a smooth matt fingerprint magnet but rather a pleasing almost satin finish. one side is grooved (opposite side to the display and buttons ) which makes it a pleasure to hold. ) the top and bottom plate are shiny stainless steel and very much finger print magnets and the bottom plate has the micro usb port and a plethora of small vent holes.
the button and display side of things is slightly recessed meaning the buttons are actually flush from the main body rather than stick out but because the side itself is recessed it means the buttons are still raised ( if that makes sense ). the fire button is a nice size and very tactile. and the + and - buttons again the same but slightly smaller. there is a tiny amount of button rattle if you shake it but tbh its hardly noticeble and isnt an issue of any kind.
the Display is bright and clear displaying the usual wattage voltage and battery indicator. but also a couple of other things are displayed too which i will get to.
when usb is plugged in the battery indicator shows it charging and also gives percentage in number form too which is a nice touch so you can clearly see how much charge it has and how far to go.
and talking of batteries.. dual 18650 built in gicing 4400mah of power. now ive been vaping this for past 24 hours and still on 50% battery so you can easily expect to get a good 2 days vaping from it.

to switch on its 5 clicks and you get the welcome and smok name appear though to turn off its slightly different rather than just do 5 clicks.

so the menu now.. 3 clicks brings up the first menu level . wattage, temp mode and mech mode!
yup you heard right. theres no voltage mode first. instead with have the standard wattage mode which goes from 6 watts to a massive 80 watts
mech mode is exactly that.. no wattage or voltage just pure mech . ive not tried this yet to be honest but pressing the fire button in mech mode it just powers up like a proverbial beast
in wattage mode you can cycle up and down and its very quick to go from 6 to 80 watts ( about 5 seconds in 0.1 watt incriments.
temp mode: now this ones tricky as its supposed to be temp sensing but its more like temp limiting. you set your temp ( between 200 and 900 degrees ) by first choosing temp in menu 1. then 3 clicks again and go to menu 4 which then allows you to adjust the temp in 10 degree incriments.
you can still change wattage when in temp mode and i can only guess this speeds up or slows down the ramp time to get upto temperature.
People have reported that it can take around 5 seconds to hit your set temp but ive set mine to 500 degrees 40 watts and it takes about 2 seconds to ramp up to the 400 then it flattens out. have to say the vape liek this is smooth and clean with no hot mouth hits or dry hits and its the same each time , nice and even.
smok are releasing a firmware update in a few weeks too to improve this feature and speed up the process but ive got no real complaints on it so far ( maybe due to the tank im using which i will get to ).

so back to the display . 3 clicks gets you into the menu then click the fire button again to go through the 1 to 5 menu settings
as mentioned above number 1 is the power control
menu number 2 is a puff counter and limiter. this displays your puffs but you can also set a daily limit. 0 being unlimited . i guess if you ware someone wanting to cut down it could be useful but its of course easy to just override.
once you hit the limit you then cant fire it up again within the 24 hour period.
menu 3 is the clock. this displays time and date which at first i thought was kind of pointless but then i realised that if you 5 click the device it locks the unit and the time and date displays when you press the fire button in lock mode. ( its a shame they didnt add alarm clock to the clock mode that would be great! )

menu 4 is the temp up and down. when in temp mode you just go to menu 4 then use the plus and minus buttons to alter temp
and finally menu 5 is power on/ off.
this is how you switch the device completely off. pretty straight forward all in all.

so now onto the Tank. the SMOK GCT Gimlet sub ohm tank
wow what a beauty. stainless steel and pyrex glass with gold accents.
4 position airflow adjuster which is a joy to use. simply turn the flush dial for small, medium, large or extra large air holes and the dial is silky smooth and flush and clicks into place for each air hole. simple and easy.

the tank itself being pyrex is a lovely generous 4ml size and is so simple to fill. just unscrew the bottom, turn upside down and fill. plenty of room for snub nosed bottles and only takes a few seconds to do.

The coil.. ahhhh the wonderful coil. its a pure nickely ni200. the latest 0.2 ohm ( yup thats right 0.2! ) temp sensing coil... no mess no fuss. soak the coil with a bit of juice and the 4 generous sized wick holes, fill up the tank. leave for 10 mins and your good to go.
nos i have no idea how this temp sensing business works. but this tank is designed for this mod and in temp mode it just works flawlessly.
at 500 degrees and 40 watts you may think its going to blow you head off but each pull on it is the same as before be it a long deep lung pull or a mouth to lung one. no burn, no heat , just a warmth plentiiful , flavourful vape each and every single time. it just doesnt miss a single beat!
it doesnt end there though. this tank which is an upgrade to the SMOK VCT tank can take the VCT coils! so you can fit your 1.2 ohm vct coil and use it on pretty much any device .. fantastic... oh and the tank costs £20 and comes with 1 spare coil and spare glass tank too... bargain!

So now onto the last thing not mentioned. the xpro m80 plus centre pin. this is listed as adjustable and is spring loaded.
reports have stated that adjusting it ( clockwise or anticlockwise turns ) the wire connected can become twisted. get suck inside against the fire button or in my case snap.
I see no reason for the pin to be adjusted. its spung loaded and should essentailly take pretty much any atty ( the GIMLET tank sits completely flush and so far not a single misfire on it ).
so word of caution if you do need to adjust the pin i would suggest no more than a quarter turn.

so that about sums it all up.. despite very poor initial start when the first one broke it has redeemed itself in its entirety especially when combined with the gimlet tank. all in for the mod and tank is £65.. really what more could you ask for , for that money.

so to finish off.. some pics with an eleaf 20 watt, mvp 2 and hana mod dna 30 next to the smok xpro for size comparison.

16724989151_c6b4e0ef07_b.jpg

16538820400_d018349999_b.jpg

16724991681_6c426ff9b7_b.jpg

16725003721_8de5f5afa3_b.jpg

firmware now updated to 0005 and now fre with the Gimlet subohm SMOK tank at 500 degrees in about half a second or less ).. happy days

Phantom Diablo what's the lowest you've fired on yours?

I have a 0.08 on my dna40 which I thought I'd give a go on the m80 but it keeps coming up with check atomiser, I'm guessing it's too low

The prebuilt coils ar 0.2 though have read it can go to 0.1. However it does have mech mode so im guessing in mech mode you could in theory go lower. though its beyond me as to why you would want to!
0.2 is in itself ridiculous really. was probably only a year ago when anything below 0.5 ohm was getting into realms of madness.

DNA 40 specs state the following
Atomizer Resistance, standard wire .16 Ohm
Atomizer Resistance, temperature sensing wire, cold .10 Ohm

so 0.1 is lowest you can go

The prebuilt coils ar 0.2 though have read it can go to 0.1. However it does have mech mode so im guessing in mech mode you could in theory go lower. though its beyond me as to why you would want to!
0.2 is in itself ridiculous really. was probably only a year ago when anything below 0.5 ohm was getting into realms of madness.

DNA 40 specs state the following
Atomizer Resistance, standard wire .16 Ohm
Atomizer Resistance, temperature sensing wire, cold .10 Ohm

so 0.1 is lowest you can go

Got mine to 0.15 with a kenthal duel build. but I don't think it will go much lower.

Attachments

• 1425756380466.jpg
    1425756380466.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 58
Back
Top Bottom