What's new

Some history, newbie questions about watts and volts...and maybe some more...

Hi everyone,
first of all thanks to all you kind people who will read this post without screaming "oh no, again?".

I'm new to vaping, quit smoking all of a sudden almost two months ago and quite curious about this nice substitute.

My first device, the one I'll be always grateful to, has been an Aspire K2. I love it, I still use it, it's totally straightforward. No doubts there.

Then a friend gave me as a gift a small iLeaf 40w mod with a Cubis tank. With that I started to try some sub-Ohm fun, still loving the comfort of all-in-one coils just to be replaced once in a while. I love the size of the iLeaf, I hate the Cubis when it spits back...but all considered, it's a nice and easy setup.

Still wanting to stay away (for how long? don't really know) from the rebuildable world, which I bet is super fun, I bought a bigger mod and a way bigger tank: a Kangertech Kbox which goes up to 200w and a Uwell Crown tank.

I used the Crown straight away with its default 0.25 coil, at around 50w and I liked it. Today I wanted to mount the 0.50 coil and give it a try....so the question came to my mind: how do I decide a wattage for a coil? Is it just something related to the temperature and comfort/discomfort I'll feel when vaping? I tried some research around but I got results with people using said coil at 40w while others using it at 90w. Confusing uh?

Plus a last minute doubt: a colleague told me "never vape at more than 4v (yes, 4 volts) or it will be carcinogenic as well".

I thanking you all in advance and I hope this post will keep me busy from buying an RDA online :-)

Tampano
OK - Forget all the scare stories and pretty much forget about voltages when vaping, If using a Variable wattage device then you need to be sure that your device and it's batteries can handle the resistance of your atomiser, after that it's just a case of starting low and working up through the wattage until you find what suits you - if it starts to taste burnt you've got it too high or have run out of juice...
If you do start to do coil building then you should brush up on Ohm's law, and probably use an Ohm's law calculator like the one on Steam Engine - which pretty much all of us use...
http://www.steam-engine.org/

.so the question came to my mind: how do I decide a wattage for a coil? Is it just something related to the temperature and comfort/discomfort I'll feel when vaping? I tried some research around but I got results with people using said coil at 40w while others using it at 90w. Confusing uh?
Watts and volts ... totally confusing and along with the resistance of the wire, this terminology makes vaping really difficult for newbs. It's much more intuitive to talk about heat and airflow much as you've done yourself ... your gut feel is right, it's essentially about the temperature and vaping comfort.

If using a Variable wattage device then you need to be sure that your device and it's batteries can handle the resistance of your atomiser

This is interesting, as it most probably widens up the size of my ignorance. So you're telling me that ALSO batteries can affect performance? I mean, I was taking for granted that choosing 18650 batteries was a matter of mah for duration, of branding for overall quality, etc....but you're saying it's not just that, right?

I bought these as my first:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KYRH1JM/

Thanks again for all the answers, it's being very interesting

This is interesting, as it most probably widens up the size of my ignorance. So you're telling me that ALSO batteries can affect performance? I mean, I was taking for granted that choosing 18650 batteries was a matter of mah for duration, of branding for overall quality, etc....but you're saying it's not just that, right?

If they're genuine they're fine, you'll be OK as long as you use them only in a regulated mod as it will cut out if you're pushing them.

Ask on here before you buy batteries again.

The 25R's are good batteries, you need to make sure that the CDR (Continuous Discharge Rating) is high enough for your device - as a rule of thumb Higher mah means lower CDR...
Mooch Battery Chart.jpg

You have some good batteries there, the 25R is a highly regarded battery, and to many the battery that all others are compared too.

They are perfect for your needs, and in the Kbox 200, plenty for up to around 110W safely with, which with your chosen tank and coils is more than enough, overkill in fact. (EDIT:I am basing this at a 6.2V cutoff, which is fairly average for a dual battery device).
If you want to build, learning Ohms law is a very good thing, but with a regulated mod it is not the be all and end all. Wattage and battery voltage is the main thing in regards to calculations, I always aim for the surface area I want and resistance comes in second as it does not change amp load on your batteries. (With a mech this is different).

As already suggested, the wattage on the side of the coil is only a guideline. You can use them lower than this if you like. I would just try adjusting through the wattage range, and seeing where you personally like things, and not worry too much what wattage other people use, vaping is a very personal thing and what I may like, you may hate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom