What's new

Vaper Sues Sony Over Exploding Battery

Smut

Veteran
Another fucking tool

http://vaping360.com/sony-vape-battery-lawsuit/

"A South Carolina man is suing Sony, claiming their batteries are dangerous, after an 18650 cell exploded in his pocket and burned his right leg.

The battery was being carried loose in Thomas Masters’ pocket, and he admits it may have made contact with change or keys. Such incidents are probably the most common reason for vaping battery explosions.

The lawsuit was filed in June against Sony Electronics Inc. and the Sony Corporation of America. It specifically identifies the battery as a Sony VTC5. The suit contends that the batteries were dangerous because they had no internal temperature control or protective circuitry.

The suit alleges that Sony “sold the batteries knowing that they had manufacturing defects and did not comply with safety standards.” According to Chris Moore, Masters’ attorney, Chinese distributors resell 18650 cells to American vape shops, even though Sony doesn’t sell the batteries for that purpose.

Chris Moore said that he knows of “at least a dozen” similar suits in South Carolina
But according to Moore, it’s Sony’s responsibility to know where their products ultimately are sold and how they might be misused. “If it is foreseeable to Sony that the individual cells might be taken out and used in an application like this, where it could have a potential for short circuiting, then they should take precautions,” he said.

The injury occurred in December 2016. Since then, Masters has had several surgeries and skin grafts. Masters’ attorney told the Beaufort Gazette that they haven’t decided on an exact damage figure they will ask for. Masters is a construction worker, and Moore told the paper that “It would be hard for him to go out and work on houses.”

Chris Moore said that he knows of “at least a dozen” similar suits in South Carolina, including four initiated by his law firm. Sony told the Gazette they wouldn’t comment on ongoing litigation.

Battery safety is becoming one of the biggest issues in vaping. New legislation that may be part of the 2018 federal budget would give the FDA responsibility to regulate the batteries in vaping devices."

So if I douse myself in petrol and set myself on fire, can I sue Shell and Swan ?

Was watching The Ideal Ohm Show last night and this case was mentioned. Sony's lawyers will be laughing their bollocks off.

carolina.jpg

Sadly these are the kind of lawsuits that a company certainly does not want to get involved in. And sadly that means that finally it will hit us, as consumers.

The idiot is at fault and he cant just go around suing people because he was dumb

When lithium was first used in a battery, it was claimed it would be far to dangerous for consumers to use.
Then it became the most used rechargeable for high power applications.
Then idiots did stupid crap that wouldn't even be entertained in courts if not for lack of warning, and the original doubters fears became justified

So the battery manufacturers should take precautions in case their product is misused and causes injury?

It's a pity they don't apply the same argument to their gun laws.

Batteries don't maim people. People maim people.

Wow... people really will try to get a pay out for anything.

I cut my finger other day of a particularly sharp piece of metal on one of my mechs, does this mean I can now sue FooToon?

Or... I could not be such a clumsy git next time I clean it up and avoid cutting myself.

We seem to have a section of society where personnel responsability is none existent.

Back
Top Bottom