What's new

Vaping Policy at Work

Fleabag

Achiever
I work as a manager in a community mental health service, providing one-to-one and group support. Not only have a number of staff, including myself, started using e-cigs, but their use has significantly increased amongst service users over recent months and we now have sizeable groups of Vapers in social sessions and groups.

After a rather frustrating meeting with my staff, in which they flagged up the lack of policy on e-cigs within the organisation and questioned the safety of “passive vaping”, one of the senior management team rushed together an email quoting the smoking policy and inserting “including the use of e-cigarettes” whenever “smoking” appeared (“smoking, including the use of e-cigarettes, is not permitted in any [organisation] building or on any [organisation] property” etc).

They have not only excluded it from inside the buildings, but also ban staff from using them in car parks or in their cars while travelling on organisation business.

Immediately, I raised this with my staff rep to bring up in staff council, citing the benefits not only to staff and organisation, but even more importantly, the service users (who are traditionally a group who smoke significantly more than the general population – up to 70% of people with schizophrenia self-medicate with tobacco). Any action on the organisation’s part that supports and encourages smoking reduction and cessation is a positive one, and driving service users and staff outside to vape simply increases the use of tobacco (if I go outside, I smoke). Many service users have adopted the e-cigs to avoid standing outside, so being forced out there will result in them smoking.

I raised the fundamental issue that “smoking, including the use of e-cigarettes” is as logical as saying “smoking, including the drinking of coffee”. After my request for further debate, numerous other staff reps came forward with objections from those they represent. The staff were told in advance of the meeting that all objections would not be heard, only mine as the first one (and therefore did not consider the weight of argument from the many).

The senior manager went into the meeting with a flat refusal to modify the policy (so much for the council contributing to decision making). Their justification for the policy is that they are following (copying) NHS policy.

However, this is not generic NHS policy, and those that have not written an e-cig policy have clearly not banned them (generic policy has to be that they are permitted unless specifically stated otherwise).

I am currently trying to put together some facts to challenge their argument that this is generic NHS policy. So far I’ve found about 3 trusts with some vaping restrictions, though the general approach amongst these seems to be to permit them in car parks (as opposed to smoking which is banned on all trust premises). I have also found anecdotal evidence of other trusts where individuals have been permitted to use e-cigs. After failing to find any policy for trusts in my region, I have to assume none exist, therefore vaping is not banned in any of them.

Even Cambridgeshire police are allowed to use them in offices, providing they are not in a front-facing role.

Any details about other NHS trust attitudes or ways in which staff have managed to educate ignorant employers?

Mind you, with the recent ENVI/MHRA bs in the EU, Ecigs are going to be (hopefully not) regulated as medicine, so they wouldnt be able to deny you use of them in the work place ;)

Thanks for the PDF - that could prove useful. The medicinal issue is one I've considered (in fact, used the concept already by asking if they are also going to instruct people to remove NRT patches before starting work!) - Though I'm not happy about regulating as a medicine, surely workplaces, NHS etc can't bsn it (bit of a struggle for the policy-makers who use the "normality of smoking" argument to ban vaping). It does make you wonder why they choose to take such a harsh line over vaping when they must KNOW they'll have to backtrack in a couple of years.

The problem is that we’re up against irrational argument that is regarded as fact by the ill informed masses because it’s coming from trusted sources. The underlying argument against e-cigs by some health organisations is that allowing e-cigs reinforces the “normalisation” of smoking. Perhaps a more logical argument is that it simply normalises the act of vaping, which is no worse than drinking coffee. The organisation has obviously googled policy on vaping and think that a handful of trusts that have banned it represent them all – they don’t. How on earth have we moved so quickly from acceptance of smoking in public places to banning a legal and positive shift from a damaging habit to a safe and healthy alternative?

What really riles me is the inconsistency – when I was a child, there was never any suggestion we should be permitted in pubs. Now you can’t move for children. This is the same system that wants to ban flavoured e-juice in case children might be attracted, despite all evidence to the contrary. What about the example being set for children in pubs? I’ll bet more damage is done promoting the normality of drinking alcohol to children than promoting the normality of smoking (or rather vaping) in the adult work environment.

Who exactly am I affecting by demonstrating that I am choosing a healthy alternative to smoking? Apart from possibly increasing the chance of other smokers shifting to this safer option.

I’m completely baffled by the whole approach. Smoking was banned in public places because of the perceived risk of passive smoking. How can they possibly include e-cigs in the policies? Where’s the logic? Fife NHS Trust was amongst the first to ban them, and used the rather pathetic excuse that the e-cigs may ignite bedding – hardly an argument that stands up in an office (not that it stands up well in a hospital).

Even worse than the staff ban is the ban on service users using them. This is the one realistic chance of them reducing their cigarette consumption, and many of them are unable to take Champix because of the impact on their mental health & contraindications of medication. How can a mental health organisation ban something that will enable them to dramatically improve their physical wellbeing.

Back
Top Bottom