What's new

We're to sell vape gear

eBay and Paypal fees are the killer but also protect you and seller

Paypal has become far more biased to the buyer & fuck the seller
(restricting the seller's paypal account)

a buyer just starts a claim and the seller has to fight their own corner completely on their own
if no joy - boom paypal awards the buyer a refund

I know this coz a few years ago a scammer tried his luck and I had a real uphill battle
hence I rarely bother to sell stuff on there like I used to

don't get me wrong this buyer protection is a good thing but easy to abuse
& spoke to many trusted legit sellers with 101% integrity, who have faced similar attempted scammer claims

What are the eBay fees? Is it something like 20%? I seem to remember looking into putting some bits on there, and the fees put me right off :eek:

In general if you do a buy it now it is about 10%
then paypal creams off about 4%

eg: item sells for £50 - ebay wants £5 next month
£50 is paid to you paypal but you only get say 96% = £48
(50 x 0.96 = 48)
So £48 & then stump up a fiver next month = £43 to paypal/ebay

So between then they nick 14% or 50 x 0.86 = £43 in your pocket

best thing is a buy it now with immediate payment
that way you don't get people pissballing you about for late payment
(can't do this if listing an auction btw)

you can also enter settings for detering/refusing low/negative feedback
and other stuff in settings for approved buyers etc.....

the type of scam crap was on higher end goods of say £100
s/hand vape crap is not really going to be a big issue for scammers coz the value is much lower
it was coz certain items were worth a bit & fair amount of money some scammer or two tried their luck

it is still a good place to buy from and sell some stuff - just I came close to being scammed
and left a bad taste in my mouth

Paypal has become far more biased to the buyer & fuck the seller
(restricting the seller's paypal account)

a buyer just starts a claim and the seller has to fight their own corner completely on their own
if no joy - boom paypal awards the buyer a refund

I know this coz a few years ago a scammer tried his luck and I had a real uphill battle
hence I rarely bother to sell stuff on there like I used to

don't get me wrong this buyer protection is a good thing but easy to abuse
& spoke to many trusted legit sellers with 101% integrity, who have faced similar attempted scammer claims

I only ever sell with insured, tracked and signed post.

That way, if a scammer tries it on (had one put in a claim for about 15 quid) there's a reasonable trail and a backup of a postage claim.

I only ever sell with insured, tracked and signed post.

That way, if a scammer tries it on (had one put in a claim for about 15 quid) there's a reasonable trail and a backup of a postage claim.

oh yes always send via a track/trace postage
I used UK Mail - Parcel Pete as depot was opposite work
(brilliant service with 95% next day delivery tracked online to the nearest hour on route etc....)

alas some people buying legit products & attempting to send back broken/fake products is not covered

Will give that a go on eBay and see wat happens and I always send first class signed insured so if people do try to scam they hopefully don't get paypal on there side

Half the issue to my mind is the unrealistic prices people think their stuff is worth. Sales were swift on here because people asked 50% or less for their kit. Sensible prices. These days everybody seems to think they can get RRP for stuff. Tag in the fact that bottom end kit is all identical and abundant, no wonder the secondhand market has died a death.

Then there’s the esoteric stuff. Again, people think this is worth a mint - but it isn’t. It was all overpriced as new and is highly reliant on fashion.

If anybody has a genuine Xeta, I’ll give you a fiver for it, and I’m doing myself. :p

Half the issue to my mind is the unrealistic prices people think their stuff is worth. Sales were swift on here because people asked 50% or less for their kit. Sensible prices. These days everybody seems to think they can get RRP for stuff. Tag in the fact that bottom end kit is all identical and abundant, no wonder the secondhand market has died a death.

Then there’s the esoteric stuff. Again, people think this is worth a mint - but it isn’t. It was all overpriced as new and is highly reliant on fashion.

If anybody has a genuine Xeta, I’ll give you a fiver for it, and I’m doing myself. :p
I'll give you a fiver for your Xeta :D

Back
Top Bottom