What's new

Review Wismec Predator 228 box mod.

crustyfolker

Veteran
Hi Apes Tonights review is for the Wismec Predator 228 box mod which was sent to me for review by the lovely Anny @gearbest.com . Thanks Anny once again for your kindness.
This review will as always a Frank review of the device.

So whats in the box.

1 Wismec Predator 228 box mod
1 USB cable for charging and firmware upgrades
1 user manual
1 battery safety warning card.

specs.

Material: Zinc Alloy
Mod: Temperature Control Mod,VV/VW Mod
APV Mod Wattage Range: Over 200W
Adjustable voltage range: 0.5 - 9V
Temperature Control Range: 200 - 600 Deg.F / 100 - 315 Deg.C
Battery Form Factor: 18650
Battery Quantity: 2pcs ( not included )

Dimension and Weight

Product weight: 0.1650 kg
Package weight: 0.3530 kg
Product size (L x W x H): 8.70 x 4.40 x 2.90 cm / 3.43 x 1.73 x 1.14 inches
Package size (L x W x H): 13.00 x 8.80 x 6.50 cm / 5.12 x 3.46 x 2.56 inches

Right lets talk about this mod. I have been really suprised how good this device is and some of its features. For a £31.48 mod its well worth it. The Predator has the same chipset as the RX300 but only goes upto 228 watts due to it being a duel battery mod.
2 amp balance charging is just that, works perfect and just like a DNA 250 device, batteries charge balanced. The battery contacts are gold plated for this very reason.
The size is perfect and is similar to the IPV8 or the Smok Alien.
The device can be used as a power bank with the purchase of a reverse charging adaptor costs £3.99 in UK.
Gearbest sells them in 5's. They screw onto the 510 of the mod which is a spring loaded 510
Full suport for Ni200, titanium and ss316 wires as well as 3 manual tc settings of your choice.
The screen is a nice size like the rx 2/3 or rx 200s and you can customize it yourself or download a screen from here
www.shadeyslogoshack.com
The screen displays power, voltage, ohms, puffs and amps as well as both batteries power levels in power mode in tc you get temp instead of watts and watts replaces volts.
Wismec have decided to use a new much better 510 on the device than those on the rx series I have seen people have had an issue with the 510 and will speak about that later in the cons. The battery door is on the bottom of the mod and is similar but imo far superior to the door on the IPV6X and IPV8 by P4U. It has a latch and 2 vent ports, the latch prevents the door from opening by accident. The battery contacts inside the mod are also spring loaded.
Up and down buttons and usb port are below the screen which keeps the buttons away from getting pressed during firing the mod. The fire button is a side firebar and there is absolutely no rattling with the mod and will suit both handed users no matter which way they hold the device.
Atomizers upto 28mm will fit with no overhang and all atomizer sit flush on top.
temp control on the device is very good but you may have problems with fancy wires jumping back to power mode wattage mode is really good in the sense it gives the watts it says until your batteries start to get close to cut off.

5 clicks of the fire button turns the mod on or off

3 clicks of the firebar will get you into the menu where you use the up button to change your settings. wire types use the left button to enter the sub menu followed by the right button to alter those settings then fire the mod to confirm.

While the mod is switched on pressing the fire bar and down button will put you in or out of stealth mode. the up and down buttons pressed together when the mod is switched on lock or unlock the up down buttons. the up and down buttons pressed together while the mod is switched off will rotate the screen 180 degrees.

switch the mod off then press the firebar and right or down button to enter manual tcr.
in tc mode press the firebar 3 times then the down button to change your wattage then fire to confirm.

Preheat setting hold the firebar and up button down for a short while, then the up button to enter the preheat settingsthe firebar then switches between preheat power and preheat timeuse up and down to alter these settings and press fire to confirm.

This menu system may sound confusing but it soon becomes easy to remember and if not the user manual explains it in very good English

USB charging of phones and other devices need the Avatar adapter which screws onto the 510 then while the mod is switched on press the fire button to start charging a phone. other devices will require you to keep pressin the fire button and up simultaniously to enter the menu then press the up button twice to start charging.

The mod has 5 colour schemes available all black or black with silver, with gold, with red or with white.
I have the black and gold one.

Pro's

1. its 2 amp charging that actually works exactly as it should
2. excellent battery door
3. size and comfortable to use
4. nice fairly bright screen
5. functions really well in tc
6. Accurate power output

Cons.

I only have 2
1 i think the mod should come with the Avatar reverse charge adapter
2. I did say i would mention the 510 p[roblem some users have had. and it seems it is a big con. Although Wismec have used a much better 510 than in any of their previous devices some users have had the outer or negative of the 510 come loose and come totally away from the device. This is fixable with a bit of glue but i feel it needed to be mentioned even though i have had no issue what so ever. Its a press fitted 510 that could be sorted by Wismec on future runs of the Predator.

Conclusion.

For me this device has been a real pleasure to use and the creators sinuous have designed a really nice mod that functions really well. I will use this a lot.
I like the style the colours look cool and the 2 amp charging is a really great thing to have especially when it works as well as that on a DNA mod.
I would have to advize against using this mod with an RDA, purely because of the 510 issue. Wiggling the cap about to remove it to redrip will loosen the 510.
Apart from the 510 issue some users have encountered i would recommend this device. For what they cost and the fact they look and work so well.
The powerbank possibility will be welcome by some users and something i forgot to mention earlier is the device does not stop charging should you use it while on charge, this is something i would try to avoid doing none the less but it is something else thats different. The Predator also can be purchased as a kit which includes the Wismec Elabo tank.

Thanks for reading my review and i hope you find it helpful.
upload_2017-5-4_2-26-58.jpeg
images

images
images

Back
Top Bottom