What's new

How To Make the best cotton wick/coil set up for your dripper!

My First attempt on IGO-L :D View attachment 12260 Coil wound on a 3mm machine screw then attached to the head with screw still in place.

Used one end off a cotton bud rolled into a little worm and feed into coil.

Positive end wrapped around the post and feed under coil, negative end around the outside :D

Nice clean taste and plumes of vaper

:goodjob:

need lower ohm tho grrrrrr

so thicker wire required then ??

Ah, glad my tip-off has been going well. I hadn't been alerted to any replies (as usual).

First off, Midnight - DO NOT be re-wicking/re-coiling stuff without a device that checks resistance! Secondly, cotton wool balls whittle down to something ridiculous like 0.01mm in thickness so there shouldn't be any reason you can't thread that through a coil with ease. The only issue I get is when that fine point tapers out and when you push it through the coil, it stops threading through by the time the taper gets thick. But usually the little fine point has juuuust made it to the other side and then you just pull with tweezers.

I then find you have to pull on both ends of the cotton wool, either side of the coil, to get it taught and then twist-and-pull to thread without causing the coil to lean over and get forced out of shape by the pulling/threading process.

Finally, you may find that using more than a small amount of cotton is counter-productive because the flavour/juice will dissipate and disperse though the wool and won't necessarily gather at the coil like with silica. I have mine just about dangle into the well where it meets a little puddle of juice to wick up. Or just keep dripping more frequently.

Anyone else find this? I basically started out with a tiny amount of wool, the thought, eff this! and put in a load. But then flavour dropped significantly.

I just put a coil onto my IGO-L for the first time. Well chuffed. Is 1.6ohms OK?

Now for the hard part. Threading the cotton wool :D

Threading cotton wool is a piece of piss, don't worry. If the end is too fine and curls as it touches the sides, just fold it over itself and then the tip is rounded. A coil is like 5mm wide? You only need about 1-2mm of protruding cotton out the other end to be able to pinch it with tweezers and tug through. Easy!

Threading cotton wool is a piece of piss, don't worry. If the end is too fine and curls as it touches the sides, just fold it over itself and then the tip is rounded. A coil is like 5mm wide? You only need about 1-2mm of protruding cotton out the other end to be able to pinch it with tweezers and tug through. Easy!
Thanks. I tried a couple of times last night but I was using 0.2 wire or something, the thicker wire which I bought espcially for the gig and forgot to use until this morning makes for a much more stable platform. As you say, it's much easier than I thought. I'm not sure i'm getting the right taste though, it seems a bit off. The package says i'm using 100% natural cotton wool. Is that the right stuff?

yep. I boil mine and then oven dry it. Make sure you've wound the coil around something nice and sturdy to create a smooth series of rings. Also make sure the cotton is fluffy and light and doesn't drag the coil when being threaded through.

If you're micro-coiling and doing all the above, and STILL getting an off flavour, then try making a regular 4-5 turns coil with spaces in it. I actually found the flavour to be a little harsh when micro-coiling (if we can define that as all the coil/turns touching.

yep. I boil mine and then oven dry it. Make sure you've wound the coil around something nice and sturdy to create a smooth series of rings. Also make sure the cotton is fluffy and light and doesn't drag the coil when being threaded through.

If you're micro-coiling and doing all the above, and STILL getting an off flavour, then try making a regular 4-5 turns coil with spaces in it. I actually found the flavour to be a little harsh when micro-coiling (if we can define that as all the coil/turns touching.
Thanks again. I used a screw to wrap the coil (which does make it very very easy to do) but didn't go through the process of heating it up and compressing it with tweezers. I'll give a batch of cotton wool a boil. That'll please Mrs Crusader :D Thanks for the tips!

OK so my first microcoil, i tested it on the vamo, 3.8 ohms, i think i am going to have to try this again, the coil heats up and glows uniformly but i think the resistance will be too high?
I am using 0.2 kanthal, should i opt for some thicker wire?

Back
Top Bottom