• No and I do not plan to.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Yes I have but only some have replied

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Another reply:

Thank you for your email, which I received today.

The North West Labour MEPs divide the region geographically. I see you have
also written to my colleague, Brian Simpson MEP and he is the member of the
North West Labour Group of MEPs who has responsibility for your area.

I am sure he will be in touch with you soon on behalf of the North West
Labour MEPs.

Thank you for contacting me.

Yours sincerely
Arlene McCarthy MEP

Here is the Petition I set up to the UK Government. Its taken them till today to green light it, please sign it but also Go see your MEP's & Email them to voice your point, views & disgust with this proposed directive.

If you care about E-Cigs please sign this petition! even if your not an E-Cig user but you believe in being able to do what you enjoy doing sign this petition

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
STOP THE EU TELLING YOU WHAT YOU CAN AND CAN NOT DO
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/43426

the start of the petition said:
Say No To EU E-liquid Ban / 4mg limit

Responsible department: Department for Business, Innovation and Skills

It is looking increasingly likely that e-liquid sales will be banned in the forthcoming EU Tobacco Directive rewrite.
Such a ban is entirely corruption-based since it is directly opposed to the best interests of public health: it removes consumers’ rights to safer tobacco-like consumption modes that are proven successful. The only alternatives will be pharma products that are expensive and proven unsuccessful (they have a 95% failure rate when averaged out). Therefore it can be seen that a ban on e-cigarettes (or a core component such as the refill liquid) must have been obtained by bribery. This comes as no surprise as we have recently seen the financial motives that EU health committee members are driven by.

Strange I sent this to the department of health but its now going to Department for Business, Innovation and Skills HMMM

28944656.jpg

Personally I'm not comfortable with using the word bribery. That has criminal implications and I'm not sure any of US have the hard evidence. Inappropriate influence maybe. Lobbying is a murky world but we should be cautious before endorsing a statement that anyone has committed a crime. My view

I've spent the last 20 mins hemming and hawing over this and I have to agree with @Mark on this one.

I have a hard time with the word bribery being used as I am confident this is fuelled by loss of tax revenue and lack of concrete scientific evidence, not bribery. Also, I don't use a "tobacco like" product. My PV resembles nothing close to a cigarette.

I understand the underlying point you are trying to make with it, but I can't put my name to this one. :( Sorry guys!

Last edited:
I can't sign this.
The only evidence of possible bribery or corruption we have is from Swedish Match regarding the Commissioner who resigned because of these allegations.
I disagree with the wording as although nicptine can be obtained from tobacco it can also be obtained from any other member of the same plant family.
Also I think it should be addressed to the D0H as well or instead of Business.
Any petition should be based on facts as mentioned in http://www.clivebates.com/?p=739 and by ECCA in their Google Docs presentation.
I see this as a petition that would harm, not help, us.

The best petition I have seen so far is the German one. The fact that it has received over 5000 signatures in under a week reflects this. No other petition truly addresses our concerns objectively, IMO.

I wrote again to all of my MEPs today. The one who was elected for my area does not see people personally and asks for emails for a fast response. I phoned his office this morning and was asked to email him. The office seemed unaware of the EU Tobacco Directive or its relevance to vaping.

I asked for delivery and read deceipts and have had two 'out of office until Jan 7th' auto-responses, one delivery receipt (twice from the same office) and one read receipt, but no reeplies.
Tomorrow I will send a snail mail recorded delivery letter to my MP asking him to take it up with Jeremy Hunt, giving as many facts and personal circumstances, asking why a cigarette replacement is being banned (explaining why this is a ban) while cigarettes which containe more nicotine are legally available, and was unable to cut it to two pages so am still trying to shorten it.
I intend to try and see my MP and any of the SE MEPs who see people, if any do, even though some are 100 miles away from me.

Need to point out these are not my words !

see here

I just used them for the petition, it was addressed to the DOH as I stated above! This is the stripped down version of what was in the original as it can only contain a Maximum 1000 Characters. I personally don't think anyone can get all the information needed within that limit. (if you do let me know I will be there to sign it)

Yes the German petition is a great one I myself signed it the night I first heard about it. But that doesn't change the fact that if this directive is passed our own government is the only thing that can then stand in its way, so yes fighting the cause in the EU is great, but I think it is also needed in our home government seeing as how the UK loves to inforce EU polices.

ECCA have some useful pointers, and give details in their forum and Facebook Page.

www.facebook.com/groups/eccauk/doc/142948775776638/ - from the facebook group

At present this document is just a stub.

We will be working on getting a template letter ready for members to send to their MP's.

Once these are ready all you will have to do is customise it and send it.

The links below will help you find the contact information that you will need to send your letter to the relevant individual concerned

www.writetothem.com/
www.theyworkforyou.com/

docs.com/CC7O

have set up members of the ECCAUK group as viewers and editors

I've also started a presentation to serve as a step by step walk though of topics to concider to help find inspiration whilst crafting your own letters.

docs.google.com/presentation/d/1wAMqlp9t...J2lST_zj3WFJ_1A/edit

Also Clive Bates blog gives very good advice.
http://www.clivebates.com/?p=739

Watch yesterdays VTTV and follow the advice there.
Petitions can't do any harm but it needs 100,000 signatures on a UK petition to have any chance of it being raised.

The advice is to contact your MP and MEPs, write letters, not just emails and phone if possible. Best of all is to meet your representative but that seems hard to do, for mine at least.

I've sent emails seperately to all of my MEPs, I've telephoned their offices (most seem unaware of this Directive in this part of the UK), I'll follow up with snail mail, I've sent a second email to my MP and that will be followed by a registered snail-mail letter.
The more constituents make MPs and MEPs aware that this does concern them the better. The EU concluded that very few of the general public would object.
Especially in marginal seats vapers could decide if they keep their jobs!

Back
Top Bottom