What's new

A tale of woe, caution & a word of warning.

That's a rather sweeping statement and not sure I've come across any modder in a long time that operates like that and I use more than your average bear :)
I get that Todd. And covered it. Though I should have made it clear it’s was FB sales as a whole, I was referring to.
But; if you are making and selling gear, and aren’t a registered company
Haven’t the reverent public liability cover.
I’m sorry, but however nice they may be, they are evading retail law and tax.

to be clear.
If you are not a proper company, you are not bound by retail law. You’ll be viewed as a private citizen. And the normal protections will not apply, to those buying from you.
Lack of public liability. Means, in the unfortunate case of someone being hurt, by something made by such a company. That person will need to chase a private individual. Who can simple declarer themselves bankrupt, and potter away Scot free.
As for tax. Not registering a business, is one of the biggest tax evasion tactic used.

This sounds like it was an absolute nightmare @Astral. I'm glad the banks finally came to the decision to reimburse you, although I would have been pretty despondent after their initial answer.

Thanks for sharing this, it was a shitty experience but it is useful to know that some scumbags clone individual identities as well as the usual bogus bank and large company scams. I must admit I wasn't aware of this type of scam and it's definitely something I'll bear in mind if I'm tempted to dip a toe into the Facebook/high end world.

Mate don’t beat yourself up - scammers wouldn’t do it at all if they weren’t successful and many clever people have been caught out.

my son has autism and the mere fact you had to overcome a number of barriers is something to celebrate - I for one am proud of you!
Keep building confidence and strength - and learn to pat yourself on the back a little more

I get that Todd. And covered it. Though I should have made it clear it’s was FB sales as a whole, I was referring to.
But; if you are making and selling gear, and aren’t a registered company
Haven’t the reverent public liability cover.
I’m sorry, but however nice they may be, they are evading retail law and tax.

to be clear.
If you are not a proper company, you are not bound by retail law. You’ll be viewed as a private citizen. And the normal protections will not apply, to those buying from you.
Lack of public liability. Means, in the unfortunate case of someone being hurt, by something made by such a company. That person will need to chase a private individual. Who can simple declarer themselves bankrupt, and potter away Scot free.
As for tax. Not registering a business, is one of the biggest tax evasion tactic used.

Thanks for the breakdown but as a self employed vat registered business myself, I know the laws.

I'm not disagreeing with your point on tax evasion, just that modders on FB are mostly tax evaders, this is not my experience at all.

Many are very poor businessmen and think that online selling rules don't apply, that one I can not deny ;)

Thanks for the breakdown but as a self employed vat registered business myself, I know the laws.

I'm not disagreeing with your point on tax evasion, just that modders on FB are mostly tax evaders, this is not my experience at all.

Many are very poor businessmen and think that online selling rules don't apply, that one I can not deny ;)
Have a look around this forum. We have individual member who are retailers, and manufacturers here. Each one pays business rates, along with staff wages and a myriad of other indirect taxes. As well as comply with retail law. And, if they work hard enough, they may actually pay tax too.

I will not apologise for expecting all businesses to be as I’ve outlined.

reasons not to be so are excuses, not real reasons.

Crossed wires here I think my friend, I'm simply saying that my experience of FB modders is different from those that were put forward.

Have a lovely day

IME there are many decent honest and talented people who haven't taken the plunge to become an official business. Not to say you shouldn't be wary, but it's not black and white.

Glad you resolved the situation @Astral and got yourself some lovely mods :thumbup:

I am glad that it turned out ok.

I think you did an outstanding effort when not giving up and keept on trying to talk to your bank and paypal.

Dont beat yourself up in any way shape or form
I used to think I was the savviest out there and I fell for a hacked message from my 'BiL'
Luckily I got my money back with a LOT of kicking off to Paypal although my bank were worse than useless. My Sil lost nearly £300 through the same message and wasnt reimbursed.

It ended well, and thats all that matters.
And theres a Puppy coming!

facebook groups are great but if you buy from a group of a business that sells items then it's tricky vape products are not allowed to be sold on facebook....full stop.

I use Facebook of course but any customer that comes to me from Facebook gets pointed to my website to fill out a form about what they want. then an invoice is raised with my business address tax reference and trading address and contact details with terms and conditions and a warranty, the item is made, sent insured, saying what it is using my EORI registration number and the correct HSC code for export orders.

if you can't do the above you are not a business you are on the Facebook marketplace with broken cars, wardrobes and kid's toys

glad you got it sorted in the end.

Back
Top Bottom