What's new

A tale of woe, caution & a word of warning.

Astral

Achiever
Firstly I'd like to start by saying I don't want to be making this post at all, mostly because of the sheer embarrassment, humiliation and shame of it and secondly because of its length and 'woe is me' nature.

But regardless of this I'm going to do it anyway to provide you with a tale of caution and offer a word of warning to you about buying things from unorthodox sources.

My tale of woe all starts fairly recently when I decided I was going to treat myself to some nice new gear for once after having had such a rough time over the last few years with my autism and co-morbid mental health issues.

I've never felt worthy of having nice things and ordinarily can't afford them anyway, but as things have finally become so bad, I've just started to think 'sod it, everyday is practically my last, so I might as well indulge while I'm still here'.

I'm beginning to think of this as palliative carelessness.

But funds being what they are I'm not possibly in the position to do such things so I had to get creative and set about raising some cash by selling some stuff off, so off went some unused vape gear, old toys and some other loft-based items, plus I switched bank accounts a couple of times for the signing on bonuses and conveniently had a small windfall and a small gift from my Dad, and with that I was finally in a position to go ahead.

At this point all was going relatively well, and I had something to look forward to for once - apart from the crippling bouts of indecision I go though when buying things.

But then it all went pear shaped.

As you might have read, my parents sadly lost their dog after Christmas and it all went wrong from there.

Well, what's that got to do with it, I hear you ask?

Well, let me tell you.

Me being me, I took it all upon myself to find them a new one and begrudgingly signed up to Facebook - something I swore I'd never do as I loathe that platform - to find them a reputable breeder, but inevitably ended up elsewhere too...

Against my better judgement I ended up in some high-end vape groups and had my head turned by all the exotica.

This was a huge mistake.

It's a completely different world to anything I've encountered before, and buying directly from modders is quite different to buying from shops.

In some ways it's better because you have that personal contact with the modder themselves, but in other ways it's worse because of randomisers, odd payment methods and the extra organisation involved.

All of these things are not well suited to me at all, particularly in my current mental state, but I still went ahead anyway and started participating in some events, even though I'm in no fit state to be making proper decisions and my behaviour is still incredibly erratic, impulsive and out of character.

Anyway, it all got off to a good start when Valentin Lopez Gomez of Mod Corporation tipped me off that he was going to be putting a Viking Hoko-E on his site imminently and I'd be able to procure it if I moved quickly, so that was exactly what I did - as it was one of the models I wanted - and everything went well, albeit slightly uncomfortably, and as a trickier experience than normal because of having to verify 'Wise' in the process.

But here's where things took a turn for the worse.

I decided I wanted an APEX too and watched for the drops patiently, and when one came and they dropped some beautiful mods one evening I entered but unfortunately missed out.

The next day I then posted how disappointed I was to miss out and just had to hope they produced another batch like it. And with that, I thought that was the end of it, but it wasn't...

A short while afterwards, I received a PM from 'L'Atelier's Raphael Real' informing me that there was one left and I could have it if I wanted.

Excitedly I started thinking about it immediately and within half an hour I had decided to go for it.

Unfortunately, I was extremely confused and impulsive at the time and shouldn't have been anywhere near my computer let alone my finances.

Now, I'm not completely naive about how these things work, and even in my confused states, I still know there are scammers at play, so I tried to be cautious and closed messenger and re-contacted 'Raphael' through his 'official' link to try and protect myself.

However, all the 'official link' did was to take me back to the original conversation I'd been having and reassure me it was genuine.

So now thinking everything was okay I proceeded with the transaction and followed his instructions to make the purchase.

I only became suspicious that things weren't right when he said the payment had been put on hold and asked me to make it again, and said he would then reimburse me a couple of days later.

Naturally this set alarm bells ringing, and when he suggested I paid by credit card instead, it only heightened my suspicions, as he was pretty persistent in trying to get my details out of me.

Fortunately I was still lucid enough at this point not to give them to him or make any more payments, but that didn't help me much with the one I'd already made. In fact nothing did.

After panickily then doing a bit of investigating it turns out the official link wasn't an official link at all and it was that of a cloner who had cloned Raphael's account and impersonated him so well, I couldn't tell the difference.

By this point I was in abject despair, frantic and in tears.

I contacted PayPal but they didn't want to know and neither did my bank, so for several days I thought I'd lost all my money and I wasn't getting an APEX.

But then on Tuesday night I decided to contact my bank one last time and finally spoke to the right person. She was sympathetic, listened to my story again and decided that I had indeed been scammed and they would reimburse me for their part of the transaction, which accounted for almost 90%.

Feeling emboldened by this I contacted PayPal again the next day, and after getting cut-off several times from their Indian call center, I explained the situation to the gentleman again, and that my bank had now changed their tune, and wondered if they would do the same.

And to my surprise they did - sort of.

Whilst they said they couldn't reimburse me the money directly, they said they would give me a PayPal credit for the remaining part of the loss and effectively make me whole again.

So in effect I've now been completely compensated for my loss and got away with it.

Whether I deserve to is another matter, and that's for you to decide, but I now have my money back and all that's left is me feeling like a prize chump, beating myself up, and having lost the little confidence in myself I had.

Without doubt, this is something that's going to scar me for the rest of my life and something I'm never going to get over, but it's something I'm going to have to live with.

However, the story doesn't quite end there.

The real Raphael Real and Mac Cim at APEX couldn't have been nicer or more apologetic to me about the whole thing, and even though none of this was their fault, they offered to let me que jump and have a mod the very next day, despite this meaning I would effectively be buying two APEX's.

But as I liked this one even more and still needed to get it out of my system, I bit the bullet and went for it.

So, for a time not only had I bought one APEX, I'd actually bought two....

That was stupid you might say. And well, you'd probably be right, but that's what I am - stupid.

I also didn't want my experience or dream of owning an APEX to be tainted, or let the scammer win and ruin one of the moments of my life, so I did also feel I'd salvaged a little something too.

So, after all that, I did actually get away with it and escaped with only the humiliation and wounded pride.

I was very fortunate to be reimbursed for the scam, and after much toing and froing can only be relieved that there was a least one person at my bank willing to listen.

The guys at APEX were nothing but professional throughout too and neither Raphael Real, Mac Cim or anyone else at L'Atelier APEX Project bear any responsibility for any of this - the fault is entirely mine and that of the scammer.

In fact, they were so nice, communicative and supportive of me and my situation, I can only commended them for their humanity, understanding and generosity of spirit.

I'd happily buy from them again (if ever I'm lucky enough to be in that position) and would have no hesitation in recommending them and their mods to others.

However, if I am ever lucky enough to buy some more of their finery I'll be far more cautious next time, and make sure I do it through the correct channels, and only when calm and clear headed enough to make such decisions.

I hope I haven't bored you too much with this long ramble, but I've learned a harsh lesson in the last ten days and I just wanted to share it, even though I'm highly embarrassed to do so, because I wouldn't want to see any of you make the same mistakes as me.

So now there's just that small matter of the new puppy...

She arrives on Sunday, so that's something else to look forward to - and it means my Facebook experience wasn't a complete disaster... but I don't think I'll be staying.

Peace, love and blessings all.

IMG_20230301_163814.jpg

Last edited:
A cautionary tale indeed. :( Glad you got yourself sorted financially and sincerely hope that you have learned a very difficult lesson when it comes to certain unsavoury facebook profiles and clones thereof.

Thanks @Rob. I think the biggest lesson I've learned is to keep my parents closer when I'm not thinking clearly and have them take my internet access away from me. :)

So glad that you got it all sorted @Astral a reminder to us all to be careful on the internet.
We don’t do Facebook, but you must be careful and only order things when you’re in the right frame of mind. You take care mate and be lucky.

I'm so glad it all worked out Astral mate. This kind of thing is the last thing you need when you're vunerable. Nice to see the APEX guys being so compassionate as well. It's so hard to tell scammers from real vendors these days and I'm sorry that you had to go through that.

I'm pleased you got it sorted Astral, pees me off that everything seems to have to be done online. Certain things I will buy from Ebay, but I wouldn't sell on there. Facebook I wont buy anything from, been looking at records via vinyl record groups, wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, despite the seemingly cheaper prices.

A sorry tale but thankfully it had a good outcome. It does seem a trend these days that a lot of high end stuff is on FB groups.

p.s. don't forget to post some pics of the puppy.

Phew, what a relief. Close call that @Astral .

most of these people useFB to evade retail law but more importantly, TAX.

don’t use them unless they can supply valid business credentials. And, considering what they are selling. Public liability insurance must be in place too.

if they can’t show these. It doesn’t matter how beautiful, the gear looks. They are, at best, Tax evaders. And you have experience of the worst, already, sadly.

@Astral, I think you would be wise to ask regular facebook users for some pointers on how to avoid a repetition of your unfortunate experience? I know many here on POTV don't use it, but there are plenty that do and I know that most would be happy to share tips etc for a safer passage through the Shark Infested Waters. ;)

@Astral, I think you would be wise to ask regular facebook users for some pointers on how to avoid a repetition of your unfortunate experience? I know many here on POTV don't use it, but there are plenty that do and I know that most would be happy to share tips etc for a safer passage through the Shark Infested Waters. ;)
Just like any other situation where you are purchasing anything. Basic checks save £’s. Be it FB, eBay, Amazon or the hight street.

Back
Top Bottom