What's new

A vape hardware history...

jims

Initiate
OK so I recently passed the one year marker on my vaping journey and I thought I’d share my hardware experiences. Apologies in advance for the epically long post.

Some History…

Tried an ego pen stile setup back in 2014 but it just didn’t cut it for me, resigned myself to my 30 year, 30 a day Marlboro habit.

2015 comes around and with it a major health scare, consultant reliably informs me that smoking is to blame and I must stop immediately. My reaction is ‘sod you I’ll be the judge of that’ but in the ensuing months of convalescence, with plenty of time on my hands, I started to research vape options.

My first set up was a coolfire 4 along with an Aspire Atlantis tank… It worked… I stopped smoking on the spot, and I haven’t looked back. I’ll always have a soft spot for that setup and I still recommend the coolfire 4 (or later versions) to people who ask me about a good first mod.

So I’ve established that I like DTL, I prefer high VG and I’m happy at the 6mg nic level. I won’t go into detail on my juice preferences, because as we all know, taste is subjective. But it’s fair to say that my all-time favourite is Dark Stars apple pie and custard. We’ll leave it at that.

So… to the hardware…

Second setup is an original Eleaf iStick 100w topped with a crown 1 tank. A year on its still going strong, still in daily use, and the crown is my number two all-time favourite tank.
upload_2016-12-14_13-21-58.png

Next I was smitten by the cloud chasing capability of the TFV4, quad coil you say, I’ll have some of that, and I’ll sit it atop a SMOK XCube II, cos I’m a sucker for flashing disco lights.

I enjoyed this for a while but the tank was kinda leaky and the mod was kinda rattley, and I found myself reverting to the old faithful iStick and crown. Put me off Smok products ever since.
upload_2016-12-14_13-22-38.png

I decided I needed something smaller for out and about, at this point in time the you tube reviewers were suggesting that SMY had got over their quality control issues and the 60TC mini is not only… well… mini…, but it has a ‘vape speedometer’! What’s not to love?

So I need a relatively stealthy tank to go with the new mod and I plump for the Tobeco supertank mini. This is a revelation! It’s small, cheap and simple, holds 4ml of juice, and can take atlantis coils (which you can pick up anywhere), but more importantly the flavour is outstanding! In my humble opinion this is an unsung hero of a tank. There’s good reason it’s the number one bestselling tank in the U.S. of A. My favourite tank to this day.

upload_2016-12-14_13-23-46.png

So I’m happy with these setups, but new tanks hit the market and I try a few.

The Cubis: Like the ‘pour it in’ fill method and no leakness, but it doesn’t really do it for me, maybe more for the DTLers.

The Clieto: (As shown in the above SMY photo) Not bad at all, but the coils are expensive and the flavours not as good as the Tobeco so… Meh!

So I rub along with my two setups for a while, then Shinyitis hits.

Shiny, shiny, shiny. OK a bit of a marmite setup I’ll give you that, but it works well. 4500 mah mod and the tried and tested crown… It’s at this point that I come to the realisation that I just don’t need temperature control. Which is just as well because that’s the one thing the Telsa nano isn’t very good at! It comes out when I feel the need for some bling. Oh and it hasn’t exploded yet.

upload_2016-12-14_13-24-17.png

So three setups in use and happy with them all, but I get fed up with the poor battery life on the SMY (maybe the vape speedo isn’t such a good idea after all) and start the hunt for new a dual 18650 mod, eventually settling on the Cuboid.

upload_2016-12-14_13-24-51.png

I’ve had four of these, smashed one, lost one still got two. I like the weight, the screen and the performance. The much loved tobeco tanks sit nicely on top too… My preferred daily driver to this day.

Several months pass and I start to get the itch for something new, I consider a DNA200 device and I’m not put off by the slightly clumsy escribe software, but in the end decide its overkill, it’s not like I even use temperature control. Whilst researching DNA 200’s I come across Wismec Reuleaux, I’m liking the three batteries and the RX200s has just hit the market with its better screen so I ship one in, the snazzy red and black version!

upload_2016-12-14_13-25-16.png

Obviously I needed a new tank for this and the obvious choice was a crown II. The pros and cons of the crown II have been discussed ad nauseam all over the internet but suffice to say, my one leaked like a motherfucker and the flavour isn’t as good as the crown 1. Rapidly consigned to my vaping history.

To replace it, the Freemax starre pure peeked my interest, I liked the leak proofness and the alleged great flavour and the semi ceramic coil life. (The flavour is up there with the tobeco and I’m still on the same coil after two months, so far so good!)

So there you have it. If you’ve read this far I salute you. In fact I salute all the members of this most excellent and informative forum!

P.S. If I’m good, I’m hoping Santa will being me an Asmodus minikin 2 and the new 25mm Supertank mini for Christmas, and so the journey continues…

Interesting read and good to see your journey been successful, been some good set up's there! i agree with the ce4 pens! felt like you was sucking a golf ball through a straw and achieve nothing at all!

Working at a vape shop had it pro and cons my set up list is mental! but the 2 favourites I've had was

Cube 2 with V1 crown
and
Alien with a vengeance from royal council of vapour!

The tfv4 was the most shocking one that i owned and can see you wasn't a huge fan either tfv4 as you changed tanks again, the Xcube i had also rattled but performance with the Crown V1 was spot on for me!

The tubeco tanks I've never tried but i think i will be trying one seeming your speak highly of them

fantastic little read and nice see some devices that have now been forgotten about already

Congrats on the year. I love hearing about other peoples vaping timelines. My journey began the same as yours. I tried a CE4 ego thing for about 2 weeks then went back to smoking. After months I decided to give vaping another go so went for a Sigelei 75W TC with the elite II tank. I'm type 1 diabetic so smoking was affecting me pretty badly. Absolutely loved it and that was the mod that made me realise vaping could be more than a stop smoking aid and was becoming a hobby. Joined this forum and saw the variety of hardware available so decided to try a new mod to see if it was any different to the sigelei.

Decided to pick up a Smok X-cube Ultra as I too was a sucker for flashy lights and also got the limitless plus RDTA to go with it as I was getting a bit fed up with paying for pre- built coils. I loved the rebuildable aspect so this peaked my interest with drippers and now I have tons of those both clones and authentic. Used drippers exclusively for a long time then went for the hype of the TFV8. Didn't get on with it at all the flavour just didn't seem as good as drippers and I couldn't get the wicking right. Came to take it off the one day and it unscrewed with X-cubes 510 attached.

Needing something quickly I went for the the alien which I love. This is pretty much me set at the moment in terms of regulated. I just use my Alien as my regulated and have a rotation of drippers. The only tank I use is the CoilArt Mage as this is the closest tank I'e found that is like dripping. I'e made the mistake of getting into mechs so that now is a major cause of shinyitis and my collection is beginning to grow pretty quickly.

Well done on the 1 year anniversary @jims :D.

I too began with a CE4/5 pen nearly 4 years ago, my saving grace was a few weeks later the first VV/VW VAMO mods came on the market, as did some better atties and tanks, so I'm coming up on 4 years without lighting up once since I began, WOOP :). (Well, not ordinary tobacco anyway, SSHHH ;)).

Now have a HUGE collection of mods, tanks and drippers, and invariably I'm still using older favourites that I continue to revert to despite trying many new tanks, etc lol ;).

Enjoy the journey and vape on bud :D.

Back
Top Bottom