What's new

Advice for a partially sighted vaper (part 2)

Hi @Blazing Atoms

I just spotted this.

Like you I am also partially sighted.

I've always found that taste is king. Once the flavour starts tasting too manky then I know there is too much gunk and my tank needs rebuilding. I just use my mod to heat up the coil and once it's red hot I pulse it a few times until I'm sure it's burned off all the gunk before I dip it in water. After that I use an ultra sonic cleaner and a wire brush as well as also running a rod through the middle of the coil to remove as much muck as possible.

I actually find that very often a newly cleaned coil will give a better flavour than a brand new one.

As for wattage recommendations, every setup is unique and different to the next one so again just go by the taste. With any new coil start off well below what you think you need and then bring the watts up until you're happy with the taste.

Hi @Blazing Atoms

I just spotted this.

Like you I am also partially sighted.

I've always found that taste is king. Once the flavour starts tasting too manky then I know there is too much gunk and my tank needs rebuilding. I just use my mod to heat up the coil and once it's red hot I pulse it a few times until I'm sure it's burned off all the gunk before I dip it in water. After that I use an ultra sonic cleaner and a wire brush as well as also running a rod through the middle of the coil to remove as much muck as possible.

I actually find that very often a newly cleaned coil will give a better flavour than a brand new one.

As for wattage recommendations, every setup is unique and different to the next one so again just go by the taste. With any new coil start off well below what you think you need and then bring the watts up until you're happy with the taste.

very informative, thank you.

That atty looks bomb proof, how would it be if I sent you one of my dead rabbit drippers, built and ready to go, and you send me your tank to have a look at? If you fancy the dripper you can keep it. We can carry on by pm if you like.

Thats a very kind offer sir/ There is nothing wrong with the rta just my vision not good for wicking.

However i have changed coils as i mangled the others and now its not flooding and is performing a lot better than my first build!

I am however thinking of getting a dripper for ease of use.

I think you're doing great building your own decks.

I was actually born blind because my corneas were fogged up but fortunately they cleared up and I got a decent amount of sight back so although I'm partially sighted for life I don't come in the severe category. Provided I can get my eyes within 3 or 4 inches of what I'm looking at I'm normally OK.

People sometimes ask me how far I can see. I tell them well you know that big yellow thing in the sky. Well that's called the sun and it's a million miles away. Is that far enough?

I don't have issues with my sight, apart from now needing glasses to see the tank deck properly, but I do have a lot of experience wicking different tanks so I hope you don't mind me chipping in a wee bit.

My first thought for the flooding is not enough cotton. I find that the laces type cotton can sometimes be a wee bit off with the thickness you need. You could try getting some normal cotton and cutting your own wicks. I like cotton gods, or dat white stuff cotton personally. It does increase the risk of not wicking properly and burning but a wee muck around should see you get the amount right eventually. Also making sure the tails of the wicks are touching the bottom of the juice well is a good way to fix the wicking issues. It's easy to cut them too short sometimes.

There's also the possibility you're not trimming the cotton enough when it's in the deck. Leaving wee bits to touch the sides of the chimney and getting juice up in your mouth. I'm very anal about trimming the cotton once it's in due to this.

I am however thinking of getting a dripper for ease of use.
For most, en rda is less convenient than an rta, but in regards to your challenges, I would say that’s an excellent idea ;) Wicking a rta is often difficult for those of us with normal eyesight. My own frustration with a certain Aromamizer and repetitive tanks dumps a few years ago means I can confirm this :56::18:

On the other hand, rdas are much more forgiving when wicking. It’s pretty much a question of having enough cotton and getting the length approximately correct, and Bob’s your uncle.And if you get a rda with side airflow f ex, it won’t be easy to overdrip either :D

There are single coil rdas available that take some beefy coils, in case you want to halve your problems. And if dripping proves a bit of a pain, you can change the positive pin to bottom feed and squonk :2thumbsup:

Just trying to help :)

I think an rda would be ideal, and if you get one with the afc at coil height (like the dead rabbit v3) they can only leak out what you`ve dripped in, and they`re very forgiving when it comes to wicking coz you can set it up with the coils right under the drip tip, if you pair that up with your scotts coils @ 55 watts that would be very similar to what I have in my hand now, plus if you were feeling adventurous you could take that up to 80-85 watts if you like a warmer vape.

Scotts coils are quite expensive and until you get more proficient at building I would look for something a bit cheaper, Wotofo do a 0.45 fused clapton @ less than a tenner for 10 coils ( that`s about 0.22 paired)

Last edited:
I think an rda would be ideal, and if you get one with the afc at coil height (like the dead rabbit v3) they can only leak out what you`ve dripped in, and they`re very forgiving when it comes to wicking coz you can set it up with the coils right under the drip tip, if you pair that up with your scotts coils @ 55 watts that would be very similar to what I have in my hand now, plus if you were feeling adventurous you could take that up to 80-85 watts if you like a warmer vape.

Scotts coils are quite expensive and until you get more proficient at building I would look for something a bit cheaper, Wotofo do a 0.45 fused clapton @ less than a tenner for 10 coils ( that`s about 0.22 paired)

The Scotts maybe expensive, but i put those in last night with the new brand of cotton. And damn it blew my zeus se out of the water. The setup with the hellvape cotton and coils was hot and harsh. This is now totally different to the first build. Im now running at 60 watts (reached out to Scott and he advised they are good from 50w to about 80-90w)

If you wish to part with your dripper, i could arrange some form of payment to you. DM is fine.

I don't have issues with my sight, apart from now needing glasses to see the tank deck properly, but I do have a lot of experience wicking different tanks so I hope you don't mind me chipping in a wee bit.

My first thought for the flooding is not enough cotton. I find that the laces type cotton can sometimes be a wee bit off with the thickness you need. You could try getting some normal cotton and cutting your own wicks. I like cotton gods, or dat white stuff cotton personally. It does increase the risk of not wicking properly and burning but a wee muck around should see you get the amount right eventually. Also making sure the tails of the wicks are touching the bottom of the juice well is a good way to fix the wicking issues. It's easy to cut them too short sometimes.

There's also the possibility you're not trimming the cotton enough when it's in the deck. Leaving wee bits to touch the sides of the chimney and getting juice up in your mouth. I'm very anal about trimming the cotton once it's in due to this.

It's the tails that are driving me mad. But im Investing in a desk magnifier, then it will be in trouble and beg for mercy.

If you dm me your address I build one and send it on, I dont want anything for it, we`re out shortly so it will be later when I get back to you.
When you have the cotton through the coils, bend the tails down on the outside of the deck and use a craft knife or something to crease them level with the bottom of the deck, that should give you a cutting guide for the length, then it`s just fine tuning.

Back
Top Bottom