What's new

Any pod mods that have a boost circuit?

conanthewarrior

Achiever
Hi everyone, the other day I bought myself a Voopoo Drag X, my first pod mod, and now am interested in getting some more.

There is only one small issue with the Drag X- as the battery drains, there is no boost circuit so at around 75% the voltage starts dropping as the cell does. I am using it at around 23W, which with a 0.6 coil and a full battery is correctly putting out 3.72 Volts.

As the battery drops, so does the voltage going to the coil, down to 3.6 then lower as the battery drains. I would have thought it would have had a boost circuit so it could at least sustain the voltage going to the coil for a consistent vape.

I have my eyes on the Freemax Marvos S as it reminds me of an Istick Pico, but do not know if this has a boost. I remember boards with a single 18650 being able to put out more than the battery voltage as standard.

So, can anyone clarify if this mod does have a boost circuit for a consistent vape? Or if not are you aware of any pod devices that have this feature? I know it is more mod than pod but would be nice for the board to do this.

Voopoo do a range of pod style tanks that sit inside a catch cup with a standard 510 type connection. If the same 0.60 ohm coil can be used in one of these tanks maybe that would be a better option as you would be able to use it on any mod.

I'm not exactly up to date on any of the latest pod mods but I suspect most of them have very basic chipsets and will start to struggle as the battery discharges.

Voopoo do a range of pod style tanks that sit inside a catch cup with a standard 510 type connection. If the same 0.60 ohm coil can be used in one of these tanks maybe that would be a better option as you would be able to use it on any mod.

I'm not exactly up to date on any of the latest pod mods but I suspect most of them have very basic chipsets and will start to struggle as the battery discharges.
I do exactly that. I have a Marvos pod on a Mirage DNA100c.

I do exactly that. I have a Marvos pod on a Mirage DNA100c.
I see, the attraction of a pod device is its size-taking a single 18650 whilst not being massive. I might be better off looking for a new single 18650 mod- I know I have a large collection but a lot are starting to go tits up with little annoying bugs.

I haven't bought a DNA device in quite a while, I wonder if there is a small DNA75 device. I have a SMY DNA 75 but I need to solder a wire back in place to the 510.

I see, the attraction of a pod device is its size-taking a single 18650 whilst not being massive. I might be better off looking for a new single 18650 mod- I know I have a large collection but a lot are starting to go tits up with little annoying bugs.

I haven't bought a DNA device in quite a while, I wonder if there is a small DNA75 device. I have a SMY DNA 75 but I need to solder a wire back in place to the 510.
I see the attraction is not having an external battery, but an all in one set up like the Voopoo Argus P1. It gets confusing when small 18650 mods get called pods! :)

I see the attraction is not having an external battery, but an all in one set up like the Voopoo Argus P1. It gets confusing when small 18650 mods get called pods! :)
Haha, well my only pod device is the Drag X, which takes an 18650, and definitely doesn't have a 510 in sight. It is by far my smallest device so it just about fits into the pod definition for me.

The only reason I haven't gone for an internal battery device is the charging, I like being able to swap out a battery. It would be a bit annoying if I wanted to vape and the device is on charge.

Saying that, do most of the "genuine" pods with built in battery have pass thru charging?

Haha, well my only pod device is the Drag X, which takes an 18650, and definitely doesn't have a 510 in sight. It is by far my smallest device so it just about fits into the pod definition for me.

The only reason I haven't gone for an internal battery device is the charging, I like being able to swap out a battery. It would be a bit annoying if I wanted to vape and the device is on charge.

Saying that, do most of the "genuine" pods with built in battery have pass thru charging?
I wouldn't have a pod as my main vaping device. I use it for out and about when dual batt mods are overkill.
As long as it has a couple of hours of use, and i can stick it in a shirt pocket, i'm happy.

I wouldn't have a pod as my main vaping device. I use it for out and about when dual batt mods are overkill.
As long as it has a couple of hours of use, and i can stick it in a shirt pocket, i'm happy.
I see, that makes sense as well using it for out and about. I don't get out much now in all honesty, but the other week when I tried 4 different RTA's that I used to be able to use just leak on me made me flip out a bit, and think "I just need something that works for now". Thats the reason I wanted a pod style device, when my head is in a better place I can get back to building and using my other gear.

Another annoying thing- at least half of my regulated mods wouldn't turn on. They was fine, and they sit on top of a wooden ottoman I bought. When around 15 to 20 mods that did work just decide "Nope, I am not working today" it does piss you off lol. I will have to try and revive them, although I am not sure that lack of use is a reason for them to stop working in different ways.

My IPV8 switches on, but just hangs at the IPV 8 screen, dissapears, then I press fire 5 times to get the same screen. It is things like that that have started to happen and I just want something simple that works, but I do not trust myself to use a mech safely at the moment. I would have simply done that in the past.

I see, that makes sense as well using it for out and about. I don't get out much now in all honesty, but the other week when I tried 4 different RTA's that I used to be able to use just leak on me made me flip out a bit, and think "I just need something that works for now". Thats the reason I wanted a pod style device, when my head is in a better place I can get back to building and using my other gear.

Another annoying thing- at least half of my regulated mods wouldn't turn on. They was fine, and they sit on top of a wooden ottoman I bought. When around 15 to 20 mods that did work just decide "Nope, I am not working today" it does piss you off lol. I will have to try and revive them, although I am not sure that lack of use is a reason for them to stop working in different ways.

My IPV8 switches on, but just hangs at the IPV 8 screen, dissapears, then I press fire 5 times to get the same screen. It is things like that that have started to happen and I just want something simple that works, but I do not trust myself to use a mech safely at the moment. I would have simply done that in the past.

Sometimes a mod not turning on is because the battery contacts have got a coating of old juice/cack/corrosion. Although it sounds dumb the same thing can happen with batteries. Sometimes cleaning the battery and mod contacts with scotchbrite (if you can't get to the contacts inside the mod a rubber on the end of a pencil can be used to give them a quick clean).

I doubt this is what has happened to all of them but you may resurrect a couple with a quick clean.

Sometimes a mod not turning on is because the battery contacts have got a coating of old juice/cack/corrosion. Although it sounds dumb the same thing can happen with batteries. Sometimes cleaning the battery and mod contacts with scotchbrite (if you can't get to the contacts inside the mod a rubber on the end of a pencil can be used to give them a quick clean).

I doubt this is what has happened to all of them but you may resurrect a couple with a quick clean.
Thank you for the advice, I think that may have happened with a few of them, the contacts may have a layer of corrosion I can't see but that is stopping a connection. My batteries are OK which is good to know, currently all Molicel P26A's and P28A's bought this year. I did have a battery clear out, some of my 25R's were rewrapped by myself and when I checked the date coming up 5 years old.
Obviously when I got a batch of Molicels I was amazed at the battery life I got lol

Back
Top Bottom