What's new

Banned From Vaping?

Only not alowed in one coffee shop locally, but I do get some funny looks when I am using AGA T2 on a Lambo or on my Vamo. The answer is I just say there is a star wars convention in town and this is my light sabre :)

I've had no problems vaping anywhere (apart from the strange looks) but I can understand why some places might not like it.. someone told me that a pub they regularly vape in was starting to take a dislike to it simply because other drunken revellers were mistaking the clouds of vapour for clouds of smoke and thinking it was ok to just light up, which as you can imagine causes no end of problems for the owner/manager of the establishment! Obviously this shouldn't really be a problem in other places where people are not drunk but I can see the logic behind it and people see what they think is smoke and just assume it must be smoke, it should start to get better as awareness grows though.. in the 9 months I've been vaping I've noticed that a lot more people are finding out about vaping and starting to consider it, whether it be through a friend, a stranger or even those naff ecigs they sell at the petrol garage it's all good awareness!

I haven't exactly been 'banned' from anywhere yet, but have had a few angry passers by...
Most people find it a great idea, and I have had a few questions about itbut there are the odd few who have a go.
The main example, is one that occurred a couple of weeks back. Stood on the train platform (after asking the rail staff about using it, they said it was fine) -VERY important part of the story that.
I'd been using it for about 2 minutes, whilst two people stood next to me, both with lit rollies. Bare in mind, they were stood RIGHT next to the no smoking sign. So, i continue with the vaping...
Then, once they'd both got onto a train, a guy walks up and says "Oi, you're not meant to be smoking here!"... He was stood watching the two with rollies, and didn't approach them! (Also, I am only 18 and not a 'menacing' looking chap! so could explain it!)
I then did the usual reply "I have asked the rail staff, as well as the rail police. All it is, is an electronic nicotine inhaler"
He then went off on one, explaining how I was still exhaling 'harmful toxins' into the air.
So, I turned into defensive mode (I hate to say), and asked how good his chemistry was, and through trying to big himself up, he said he was great.
I then explained the basic components of e-liquid. <acronym title="Propylene Glycol">PG</acronym>, <acronym title="Vegetable Glycerine/Glycerin/Glycerol">VG</acronym>, Nicotine liquid, and flavouring. I then explained how when I inhale, It's around 0.18mg... If that (Was using a cheap '10 puff to cig')
Nope, he wouldn't have it, saying that I was still exhaling Nicotine into the enviroment.
At this point, I was getting kind of annoyed. He had come over, whilst I was on my own instead of when there were two people OBVIOUSLY smoking, and had a go at me for doing something that I had permission to do.
At this point, a member of the rail staff came into view. So, I said politely "I don't mind moving somewhere else sir if it angers you, however, I will make it present that the member of rail staff over there *I glanced over at this point*, has been there for some time. If you would like to ask him, feel free"
At this point, he just walked off without saying a word.

the only place ive found that had a prob with it yet is costa coffee who for some reason told me "you cant use them here, they set off the fire alarm" i havent got that much of a prob if they decide theyd rather not have my business and go elsewhere thats fine, but i wasnt too thrilled at being regarded as being stupid enough to believe that a vape could set off a smoke alarm

Try to steer clear of 'lookalikes', ask if it's ok to vape first and if they won't allow vaping either put up with it or take your custom elsewhere.

If you're in a situation where you're not able to take your custom elsewhere and IF you want to risk it, then try stealth vaping (use 100% PG juice and hold the vapour in your lungs for a good few seconds before exhaling... little or no visible vapour will be produced).

the only place ive found that had a prob with it yet is costa coffee who for some reason told me "you cant use them here, they set off the fire alarm" i havent got that much of a prob if they decide theyd rather not have my business and go elsewhere thats fine, but i wasnt too thrilled at being regarded as being stupid enough to believe that a vape could set off a smoke alarm

Apparently, some smoke alarms can be set off by vapour if they rely on visible elements for detection.... although I've never come across one that I've managed to set off..... yet. ;)

Apparently, some smoke alarms can be set off by vapour if they rely on visible elements for detection.... although I've never come across one that I've managed to set off..... yet. ;)

that may indeed be true, but not likely in a place that has steaming coffee machines in!

I am in spain and am proud to say, at the airport the other day my mates flight was delayed, so went and asked the Guardia Civil if it was ok and they said yes, so I sat infront of their office vapin for an hour. It was so funny a couple of english people sat behind me commented "god that woman is smoking do you think we should report it", (twats) so I vaped all the more so there were clouds of vape flowing up into the air, then everyone started looking, enjoyed every minute of it!!!:yahoo:You think they would have been able to smell the vanilla!!!

all good comments so far,
from a personal point of view, I judge each situation as it comes...I try not to vape where it *would* cause offence...maybe a busy pub..somebody is sure to have a loud mouth etc...but a quiet place at lunchtime, where it is plainly visible I am NOT smoking (and have some big mod to show it is no way near a cigarette) always seems to work out ok. Just be happy, smile, dont blow it around like you own the place etc.

That said, Standsted airport..I did stealth vape there, out of respect to the people around me while waiting for an outbound flight. Easily done..I suppose it looked suspicious but I wasnt challenged or anything...coming back, cleared passport control and the taxi was delayed and it was snowing, so I stood in the foyer and vaped (I was massively p1ssed off about something so didnt care too much)...a few people gave a thumbs up, most just looked, and then looked away without a second thought. It was 1am though :-)

We should consider ourselves early adopters, as well as ambassadors for this hobby.

Last edited:
Only place I've been flat out refused was an Irish pub chain in Northampton (don't know where we stand with brand names... but it may not surprise you it begins with O' ;)) I asked at the bar, which surprised them, as most people just crack on apparently.

I never vape in a bar/pub/club without checking, and I don't bother in shops/shopping centres due to rent-a-nazis with too much time on their hands and a power trip (not all, I feel i should add, but certainly most :D)

Long story short, more places I've been to allow it than don't, but it never hurts to ask to be on the safe side.

Like others who have replied, I smoke a large mod with a bright orange tank, not much fear of mistaking it for an analogue :)

Back
Top Bottom