What's new

Best Battery Charger?

I did have a look at that again last night and didn't notice any feature that showed how much charge was going in or being held by the battery.

In the end I just bought the Nitecore i2, because it came with both wall and car plugs. And will also charge normal batteries.

By my way of thinking, I just need to know 3 things from a digital readout. Is it charging, has it finished charging, is it time I threw the battery away and bought a new one. Unless it can clearly tell me these three things, I may as well have some blinking lights and not spend the extra money.

I would have thought that if a charger is intelligent enough to know what battery you just put in it, it should be able to work out if the battery is still performing properly.

Dont think any charger will tell you if its knackered or not.
Although will show you how much charge your batteries holding and you can judge if its had it.

Have you had a look at these:
https://www.m-vapes.co.uk/store/p1/M-Vapes_Volt_Meter__Measure_Voltage_Drop.html

You connect them to the 510 of your mod and it will show you how much voltage the battery is outputting.

Never had the need for one but if your worried your battery isnt charging as well or putting out as much as it should, might be a cheap accessory for you.

The Nitecore I2 is good, been my charger for the last 10 months or so.

Dont think any charger will tell you if its knackered or not.
Although will show you how much charge your batteries holding and you can judge if its had it.

Have you had a look at these:
https://www.m-vapes.co.uk/store/p1/M-Vapes_Volt_Meter__Measure_Voltage_Drop.html

You connect them to the 510 of your mod and it will show you how much voltage the battery is outputting.

Never had the need for one but if your worried your battery isnt charging as well or putting out as much as it should, might be a cheap accessory for you.

The Nitecore I2 is good, been my charger for the last 10 months or so.

Thank you, I can plug my mod into my current ohm meter to check voltage, although i haven't tried this in a while.

I have a load of batteries which are all the same, some are older than others. I do get the "feeling" that some don't last as long as others. But without counting puffs and timing it, it would be rather hard to tell.

Do you know of any sign that I can look for on a voltage meter?

Thank you, I can plug my mod into my current ohm meter to check voltage, although i haven't tried this in a while.

I have a load of batteries which are all the same, some are older than others. I do get the "feeling" that some don't last as long as others. But without counting puffs and timing it, it would be rather hard to tell.

Do you know of any sign that I can look for on a voltage meter?

Found this on another forum:

"Without an analyzer, or running runtime test etc, the easiest way to tell that a Li-Ion cell is nearing it's EOL, is that it will not hold a charge well, will not perform as well as it used to, and will get noticeably warmer when charging.

With a means to measure cell voltage, you can tell if a cell is holding charge well, or not by measuring the cell's voltage after charging. Newer LiCo/ICR, or LiMn/IMR cells will typically charge up to 4.18-4.20 Volts when charged with a proper CC/CV charger. Newer cells will also stay at this voltage for quite some time. Older cells will loose some voltage soon after charging. If cell voltage drops to ~4.10 Volts after charging to 4.18-4.20 Volts, after a day or so, the cell is well on it's way towards EOL. In general, cells that drop to 4.00 Volts, are considered at EOL and should be replaced. Also, it is generally accepted that Li-Ion cells should be disposed of /recycled when the charged capacity has dropped to 80% of the original capacity of the cell.

Usually, when a Li-Ion cell is used up, it just doesn't work as well. It doesn't hold voltage under load as well as it did when new, exhibits a higher rate of self discharge, and warms up when charging (this is an indication of high internal resistance, which is associated with cell degradation). So, in most cases the cell simply lacks the performance it once had.

The problem with old worn out Li-Ion cells is that the chemical components within the cell tend to become unstable. Add to this the fact that these cells get much warmer when charging, and you may have a problem."

So charge one up, test the voltage is 4.18-4.2.
Come and test 24 hours later.

If the cell has dropped below 4.1v then its starting to get near the end of its life.
If it has dropped to under 4.0v then it has had it.

So you can test your batteries with the gear you have :)

Damn, this means my VTC5's are going to have to be saved for special occasions.

Cheers @Mr Mopivatr, useful to know!!

Back
Top Bottom