What's new

Darwin Mods-Squonk

fasteddie600

Mod Maker
I thought I would start a thread up for my squonker now called the Squonk3

I will post updates and pics here as they happen.

Bottom feeding SX350 100W Squonker
[email protected] LiPo battery, (4400mAh@3,7V)
15ml Juice capacity

This project has been going for a couple of months now and I think I am getting towards the stage of actually being able to produce a few of these for sale. Hopefully in the next 2-3 months.
The hardest part was finding a workshop that could machine some boxes for me as this is just too time consuming. After much searching I am now working with a friend in a CNC shop who has been fantastic. I only wanted to get a few made and most places weren't interested. I am planning to make 5-10 Squonk3's all different woods. I left the CNC shop with 9 different woods.

The final size is aprox 54mm X 110mm X 43mm. This is the smallest I can really package something of this power and still give a good battery life.
I settled on the SX350 100W chip, it is very versatile and robust. Single button operation keeps things looking minimal on the outside.
The battery is a Turnigy 2200mAh 7.4V LiPo which is the equivalent to 2 x 18650's which gives plenty of life even up at 80-100W. The battery has been made as easy to remove as I can, as on-board charging is just not a practical option and the proper balance chargers can do a much better/faster job.
15ml Juice bottle is a little overkill, but it works great and has much better quality fittings than I can find for smaller bottles.

There were some concerns with splitting of the wood grain, so, I am now stabilizing the boxes with a heat cure resin and vacuum chamber. I also have some dye's for use with the resin so hopefully I can produce some exciting finishes. Not the quickest process, but well worth it for my peace of mind!

All my boxes are hand finished and it currently takes around 1-2 days for finishing each box.

This is the first complete box #001, Delivered by Santa

This was made from Oak with aluminium back panel. It has been engraved #001 on the inside of the door. Unfortunately I couldn't get this one stabilised before xmas so it will have a regular oil/wax.

04a0e0bb02b5a301561f18564bafa721

fc35c76499478b28df926acbfb004ab3

d257b9648b8bce3540669562c3afb0aa

This is the package that went out with #001. Accessories pack included- Cordura carry case, Balance charger, Charger power supply, Spare bottle, Spare battery.

5d469811e7a0a351622bb68e61a87d9a

Here is the first box stabilised- This is a ELM which was quite rough with woodworm but has come up beautifully.

az70gx.jpg

2u7vzwj.jpg

1889696bafca8efdfb85bbadb6a9bd79

This is another very special version in the making Alumium, Brass, and Gold.

zwdwsh.jpg

I bought myself the FDV BF RDA kit from Seedy & modified my Mephisto as a Squonker RDA.All was going great until this morning when I went to rebuild the coils & straight afterwards(checked on ohm meter = 0.24)just after I'd juiced up the wicks,hit fire & got zero vapour.Pulled the cap off the RDA & could see that something was happening to heat the juice,but there was only little wisps of vapour from under a wick.Then I smelled burning,so stripped the box mod & it looked like the dual mosfets were the cause of the burnt smell so decided on a total rebuild of the mod which took me bloody hours.Soon as I'd finished the mod,I then started on the RDA & that's where I discovered the true cause of the burnt smell.The FDV centre pin had gained a tiny little fragment of wire which had welded itself to the pin+atty base causing a short which in turn had eaten the bloody insulator (again) I stripped the parts from the Mephisto & (having chopped several slices out my thumb) modified the insulator to fit the Zenith.I had to go out after this,so crossed my eyes/fingers/toes & took the squonker with me,but used the Big Dripper as I didn't trust the Zenith as an "out n about" device.Once home,I washed the Zenith,recoiled/wicks & screwed it to the squonking box,the Zeniths own centre-pin has been drilled(vice+2 mm drill bit)to work as the BF pin,and I've also discovered that the Mephisto pin just needs a couple of tiny holes drilling to become a BF pin(though the 3 mm post holes are plenty big enough unmodified to allow juice through)I just wish I'd noticed these 2 attys were easier converted to BF RDA's without the FDV kit,as the FDV kits require the insulators modifying.

All that the squonking box needs to fully complete it is the slot I cut in the Hammond box enlarging slightly as swollen thumb doesn't fit when the bottle needs a squeeze. :D

DSC_0432.jpg

I thought I would start a thread up for my squonker now called the Squonk3

I will post updates and pics here as they happen.

Bottom feeding SX350 100W Squonker
[email protected] LiPo battery, (4400mAh@3,7V)
15ml Juice capacity

This project has been going for a couple of months now and I think I am getting towards the stage of actually being able to produce a few of these for sale. Hopefully in the next 2-3 months.
The hardest part was finding a workshop that could machine some boxes for me as this is just too time consuming. After much searching I am now working with a friend in a CNC shop who has been fantastic. I only wanted to get a few made and most places weren't interested. I am planning to make 5-10 Squonk3's all different woods. I left the CNC shop with 9 different woods.

The final size is aprox 54mm X 110mm X 43mm. This is the smallest I can really package something of this power and still give a good battery life.
I settled on the SX350 100W chip, it is very versatile and robust. Single button operation keeps things looking minimal on the outside.
The battery is a Turnigy 2200mAh 7.4V LiPo which is the equivalent to 2 x 18650's which gives plenty of life even up at 80-100W. The battery has been made as easy to remove as I can, as on-board charging is just not a practical option and the proper balance chargers can do a much better/faster job.
15ml Juice bottle is a little overkill, but it works great and has much better quality fittings than I can find for smaller bottles.

There were some concerns with splitting of the wood grain, so, I am now stabilizing the boxes with a heat cure resin and vacuum chamber. I also have some dye's for use with the resin so hopefully I can produce some exciting finishes. Not the quickest process, but well worth it for my peace of mind!

All my boxes are hand finished and it currently takes around 1-2 days for finishing each box.

This is the first complete box #001, Delivered by Santa

This was made from Oak with aluminium back panel. It has been engraved #001 on the inside of the door. Unfortunately I couldn't get this one stabilised before xmas so it will have a regular oil/wax.

04a0e0bb02b5a301561f18564bafa721

fc35c76499478b28df926acbfb004ab3

d257b9648b8bce3540669562c3afb0aa

This is the package that went out with #001. Accessories pack included- Cordura carry case, Balance charger, Charger power supply, Spare bottle, Spare battery.

5d469811e7a0a351622bb68e61a87d9a

Here is the first box stabilised- This is a ELM which was quite rough with woodworm but has come up beautifully.

az70gx.jpg

2u7vzwj.jpg

1889696bafca8efdfb85bbadb6a9bd79

This is another very special version in the making Alumium, Brass, and Gold.

zwdwsh.jpg
Beautiful Eddie.

I bought myself the FDV BF RDA kit from @Seedy & modified my Mephisto as a Squonker RDA.All was going great until this morning when I went to rebuild the coils & straight afterwards(checked on ohm meter = 0.24)just after I'd juiced up the wicks,hit fire & got zero vapour.Pulled the cap off the RDA & could see that something was happening to heat the juice,but there was only little wisps of vapour from under a wick.Then I smelled burning,so stripped the box mod & it looked like the dual mosfets were the cause of the burnt smell so decided on a total rebuild of the mod which took me bloody hours.Soon as I'd finished the mod,I then started on the RDA & that's where I discovered the true cause of the burnt smell.The FDV centre pin had gained a tiny little fragment of wire which had welded itself to the pin+atty base causing a short which in turn had eaten the bloody insulator (again) I stripped the parts from the Mephisto & (having chopped several slices out my thumb) modified the insulator to fit the Zenith.I had to go out after this,so crossed my eyes/fingers/toes & took the squonker with me,but used the Big Dripper as I didn't trust the Zenith as an "out n about" device.Once home,I washed the Zenith,recoiled/wicks & screwed it to the squonking box,the Zeniths own centre-pin has been drilled(vice+2 mm drill bit)to work as the BF pin,and I've also discovered that the Mephisto pin just needs a couple of tiny holes drilling to become a BF pin(though the 3 mm post holes are plenty big enough unmodified to allow juice through)I just wish I'd noticed these 2 attys were easier converted to BF RDA's without the FDV kit,as the FDV kits require the insulators modifying.

All that the squonking box needs to fully complete it is the slot I cut in the Hammond box enlarging slightly as swollen thumb doesn't fit when the bottle needs a squeeze. :D

View attachment 39866

Totally agree about the FDV converter kit. I destroyed a MutationX trying to fit one and although my Mephisto works very well with the kit, it was a real PITA to fit. It doesn't feel particularly great either, i treat that center post with a fair bit of care.

Zenith on the other hand works a treat out of the box as does the Aventador.

+1 to signing up I need one of those nice looking boxes.

sent from a vape cloud

Where do I sign up ?

Not yet! I want to get some boxes prepared and a bit more testing done first.

I am hoping another 4/5 weeks and I will be able to start doing some orders :)

Sent from somewhere inside a huge cloud!

Not yet! I want to get some boxes prepared and a bit more testing done first.

I am hoping another 4/5 weeks and I will be able to start doing some orders :)

Sent from somewhere inside a huge cloud!

Hope I can get to be one of your orders when you get up and running could you keep me in mind please as I have a 50th birthday coming up in about 4 weeks and would Love one of those bad boys for my birthday from one of my many family members that are going to spend lots of money on me ( ps they don't know that yet lol) :eek:

sent from a vape cloud

Back
Top Bottom