What's new

e cig lights up an elderly lady at a hospital - the sun (tomorrow)

Is there only me thinking "ecig, hospital bed?" Its not obvious to people just how flammable pure oxygen is. I know because I work with oxy acetylene and oxy propane. I highly doubt the coil in a looky likey could ignite oxygen though, I may be wrong about that but I just dont see it.

The nurses and doctors must of also been aware of her using it and they didn't appear to have advised against its use either.

I hope she's going to be ok, I'm more angry that this media enduced shit storm is being whipped up and she's an unfortunate casualty in it all.

uploadfromtaptalk1397477808744.jpg

When my mum got admitted into hospital last year late at night,we asked the ward nurse if she could use her ecig.She was abit adamant at first but then said as long as my mum pulled the curtain around her bed then it wouldnt be a problem..Im just wondering if something similar happened with this lady and the nurses knew she was vaping on the ward..

gords1001
Is there only me thinking "ecig, hospital bed?"
Nope, I am amazed how few people have picked up on this; besides the fact that the use of both tobacco cigarettes and e-cigs are now banned from nearly all NHS hospitals and signage is everywhere.

- one earlier poster (sorry, using flaky computer, does not like lots of tabs open) did put forward the theory that the person in question had, in a somewhat dozy state attempted to light an e-cig with a cigarette lighter that was also apparently by the bedside ... The mind boggles that it was even there. Maybe someone thinking they could have a crafty puff/stealth vape with disastrous consequences? It could actually have been neither the the e-cig, nor the lighter that caused the fire in this case, as at least one media source reports that both were by the patient's bedside.

Its not obvious to people just how flammable pure oxygen is
(whispers) please don't shout at me gords! :( - it's the propane and acetylene that are flammable in welding gases, oxygen simply supports combustion - making a little bit of something flammable go a long way, in a big, very, very hot way - or a source of combustion go bang in a big way as happened in this case.

I am sorry they are so badly injured, however there are clear warning signs on the oxygen cylinders, in the wards and on the equipment. The cynic in me says I'm sure that now their family will be after compensation from the NHS with the help of the parasite solicitors who deal with this sort of thing, and the parasites in the media will be whipping up yet more anti e-cig feelings based solely on the fact that one was in the vicinity of this accident.

This makes me a little mad. Not because some one got hurt or our beloved ecigs are to blame again. Now dont get me wrong. What has happened is horrible, and I do hope she is OK. But what the hell was the nurses allowing her to vape whilst she was using pure oxygen I don't know. I think this could show a potential for this to happen again. As lack of knowledge was to blame here. Not the ecig. We all know that the most important part of any ecig or cigalike is a HEATING COIL. That works around 300c. Correct me if I'm wrong.

A quick trip to YouTube will show any body that can use a computer. Why putting any source of heat near or in oxygen is a bad idea. Eg. put a stinkie inside a bell jar with a pure oxygen environment and you will probably be surprised, or not with the results.

This seems like a tragic accident that could of been so easily avoided if some one took the time to speak to the lady and explain why this was a dangerous act. Sadly now the government and anti's now have another bullet to put in their ban Vaping machine.

Edited coz of my bad spelling

Last edited:
Reminds me of my Pa's 80th birthday when he was in the HD ward after a major operation. My Ma took in a birthday cake & lit the candles on it. The speed of the nurses running over as we sang the happy birthday song was quite impressive.

Sent from my Xperia Z using the POTV app

If you think about it an e-cig and use of an oxygen cylinder was an accident waiting to happen. Since common sense is not required for Health and Safety any longer - you have to wait for the laminate and box ticking folder to hold your hand, NHS staff are probably unaware of dry burning coils. I'm not saying that is what happened in this case - The Sun and DM are the masters of speculatory spinshite.

Phew, glad i'm not the only one. I'm thinking, hospital - cigarette - e cigarette ! What ? You're allowed to use such devises in hospitals ? If i was recovering from something i wouldn't expect in the slightest to be allowed. Gas bottle danger aside even, what the ? It's just asking for a public outcry, begging for it.

If you think about it an e-cig and use of an oxygen cylinder was an accident waiting to happen. Since common sense is not required for Health and Safety any longer - you have to wait for the laminate and box ticking folder to hold your hand, NHS staff are probably unaware of dry burning coils. I'm not saying that is what happened in this case - The Sun and DM are the masters of speculatory spinshite.

Errm, common sense is fundamental in H&S, trouble is a lot of the numpties who are now working as H&S officers/ managers etc (but not all!) are too oung, poorly paid and poorly trained with very little experience of the real world, by numpties who are also poorly trained and have very little experience of the real world ... and they are managing an awful lot of numpties who have no common sense too and frustrating the staff who do.

The box ticking originates mostly from the bean counters in finance and the lovely people (NOT!) at IOSH (who are box-ticking numpties, have dealt with too many of them and their regs when temping and the partner of a senior H&S bod, who I do some of his paperwork :( )

and if I say anymore, I'll write a very long diatribe o the state of the nation's H&S, so I won't ....

Sadly most British papers whether national or local are mostly speculatory spinshite, even the grauniad and the indy :(

gords1001
Nope, I am amazed how few people have picked up on this; besides the fact that the use of both tobacco cigarettes and e-cigs are now banned from nearly all NHS hospitals and signage is everywhere.

- one earlier poster (sorry, using flaky computer, does not like lots of tabs open) did put forward the theory that the person in question had, in a somewhat dozy state attempted to light an e-cig with a cigarette lighter that was also apparently by the bedside ... The mind boggles that it was even there. Maybe someone thinking they could have a crafty puff/stealth vape with disastrous consequences? It could actually have been neither the the e-cig, nor the lighter that caused the fire in this case, as at least one media source reports that both were by the patient's bedside.

(whispers) please don't shout at me gords! :( - it's the propane and acetylene that are flammable in welding gases, oxygen simply supports combustion - making a little bit of something flammable go a long way, in a big, very, very hot way - or a source of combustion go bang in a big way as happened in this case.

I am sorry they are so badly injured, however there are clear warning signs on the oxygen cylinders, in the wards and on the equipment. The cynic in me says I'm sure that now their family will be after compensation from the NHS with the help of the parasite solicitors who deal with this sort of thing, and the parasites in the media will be whipping up yet more anti e-cig feelings based solely on the fact that one was in the vicinity of this accident.

The pure oxygen in oxy acetylene is to give a cleaner hotter flame true. But trust me, pure oxygen is quite capable of making interesting and upsetting things happen when a source of ignition is added, there's more than a few accidents happened do to engineers smoking in overalls that have become impregnated with oxygen due to leaking regulators/pipework in an enclosed area.

As I say though, I highly doubt that an ecig coil ignited that oxygen, if that is indeed what happened, unless the regulator/pipe work had saturated all her bedding with pure oxygen - no fuel. And a fire needs oxygen, ignition source and FUEL to burn.

Back
Top Bottom