What's new

Early/earliest 3rd party adoption of the boro

John R Phillips

Postman
With the recent number of new boro devices either released or announced, it got me thinking about which was the first device to adopt the boro tank (apart from the BBV BB, obviously), and other early adopters.

I can’t find anything that predates the SXK BB - that seems to have been around in early 2019 and was certainly gaining a lot of traction from around March. I’ve personally not come across any SXK BBs with a 2018 date, but they may well be out there. BBV started dating their BBs from February 2018.

I was looking at Todd’s review of the Limelight Fifty-50 (v1) which was in March 2019. In that review, he said it used the boro and whilst he didn’t say that it was a first, he certainly didn’t use the “yet another boro device” phrase ;) He also said that Limelight were looking to develop their own tank (and that was reiterated in his v2 review in July 2019) - not something that would lead me to think that the boro was being used extensively elsewhere and becoming the de facto “standard”.

And the SXK/ProVapes Bantam Box was around in May 2019.

Can anyone throw any light on the boro usage timeline? Thanks

i ordered an sxk bb from fasttech in feb 2019 and they were about a good while before that so definitely 2018.

have a look on the search function here.

i think sxk only started to clone the branding and dates more recently. certainly mine was all plain black with nothing printed on it.

The SXK BB Rev4 (18650) first appeared in early 2017, like Jan or Feb. The Genuine article was around in late 2016.
I believe the the Rev 2 and 3 were about from around 2013/14? May have been a tad earlier. I'm not sure, so could be wrong, but I "think" the earliest BBs were the first to introduce The Boro, but perhaps @todd can "shed" (Muwahahaha) more light on this?

The SXK BB Rev4 (18650) first appeared in early 2017, like Jan or Feb. The Genuine article was around in late 2016.
I believe the the Rev 2 and 3 were about from around 2013/14? May have been a tad earlier. I'm not sure, so could be wrong, but I "think" the earliest BBs were the first to introduce The Boro, but perhaps @todd can "shed" (Muwahahaha) more light on this?
Those dates for the OG are about right - the history is reasonably well documented.
So, quite a hiatus from early ‘17 to ‘19. Let’s see what comes up to fill that hole

i think sxk only started to clone the branding and dates more recently. certainly mine was all plain black with nothing printed on it.
That would explain why I’ve not seen any pictures of a pre ‘19 SXK - But I can’t recall an undated one either. All good stuff to know.

there are surely a load of
folk on here with pre-2019 unbranded ones, i would think.
It would certainly sound like it - but I’d not seen one.
And as it was Feb 2018 before the OG started to carry the brand/year, and SXK were producing them from as early as 2017, it’s highly lightly that quite a number of bodies were plain until subsequent production runs. My two SXKs are dated 2022 but their panels carry the 2021 date.

The early SXK BB didn't carry much in the way of dates.

Back
Top Bottom