What's new

First time dripper, RDA advice

@Chris_vapehead Yeah yeah, play the humble card so I feel obliged to get you to understand my appreciation by showering you with new vape goodies, haha. Nice try :D

Anyway I rewicked coz had far too much cotton in there. Also took out the top piece of cotton. Vapour is better. The flavour is kinda strange, not what I'm used to, it's there, just different. The coil is close to the airhole. Do you guys (or are you all girls, I dunno, lol) find a difference in flavour from Tanks/RBA's to RDA's. Not just more flavour, but it is a different type of flavour? Maybe I've just not set it up right yet, or maybe I'm just not used to such strong flavour. I'll try some different flavours tomorrow, see how it goes.

I thought it was worth a try but honestly I'm not really that mercenary. :D To be honest more relieved that the Veritas has worked out for you. Not one I would have suggested to someone new to rda's.

Depends what type of wicking you use. I always use the Japanese cotton which tends to give me the best flavour. Weirdly with some juices the undertones of flavour come through more for me in the Veritas. Red Astaire as an example I get less cherry and more of the berry/menthol but the cherry is still there its just the other stuff seems more in balance with it. If I run the same juice in say my Quasar I tend to get more cherry. If you aren't used to an RDA you are going to find flavour is much stronger than you realised. But for me that's a good thing. Happy vaping.

Stronger flavour when you get the build right and different aspects of the juice at different ohms. Took me a while to get the build right in my tobh, I tend to stick a coil in, vape it for a few days or a week and then try some slight adjustments to see how the flavour changes. I think I have just mastered my work build about 20mins ago. 9wraps 0.34mm kanthal on a 3mm bit. Nice and close to the airholes and fairly high off the deck, comes out at 0.8ohms :D and the 0.34mm wasn't a pita to coil with like the 0.3mm is. Its taken me a while to get here, I think I own some of every thickness of kanthal just about. I now have builds I am happy with at 0.15, 0.4 and 0.8ohms. Now I just have to await the arrival of my magma to start the process all over again :D

I build my dripper @ .15 ohms nice and warm and flavor is amazing on a 1/16th bit with 24 gauge wire ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412763158.674544.jpg

@Chris_vapehead No ones more suprised than me that have picked it up so quickly. I actually find it quite easy to build the coils. I understand you giving warning though, it wouldn't be for everyone. Irish cream is my favourite, got some steeping now, but I find the cream is lost a bit, so hopefully with the dripper the cream flavour will show more.

@Diche I rebuilt my coil, higher off the deck and closer to the airhole as you have done it, and it does seem better. Glad you're having a nice vape.

@Poisontail 0.15, wow, that must be warm. Don't think my MVP2 could handle that, lol.

Actually that brings up a question for you guys. I built a coil, 6 wraps aiming for 1ohm, but it came out at 1.4. I built another one, 28kanthal, 4 wraps, would come out at 0.8, but as mine seemed to be coming out higher I thought I'd aim for 0.8 to get 1ohm, if that makes sense. I think I wasn't factoring in the tail length with these horizontal coils.

Anyway the new coil came out at 0.8ohms. I've never built a sub ohm coil because I didn't think my MVP 2 could handle that, but it fires so I guess it is ok? I'm a bit unsure really. Can anyone give advice on this, is it safe?

Another question. Considering the ohms is 0.8, I don't get a great deal of vapour. I have checked many times to make sure the airhole isn't blocked. When I fire the device without the top cap on, lots of vapour comes off the wick. When I put the top cap and/or the drip tip on and when I drag on it, not a great deal of vapour. Is this because I am only using 4 wraps? i notice a lot of people here say they use 7 - 9 wraps, but that would make my ohms too high using 28kanthal.

I guess I should get myself some 26kanthal, or something inbetween?

Thanks!

@Chris_vapehead No ones more suprised than me that have picked it up so quickly. I actually find it quite easy to build the coils. I understand you giving warning though, it wouldn't be for everyone. Irish cream is my favourite, got some steeping now, but I find the cream is lost a bit, so hopefully with the dripper the cream flavour will show more.

@Diche I rebuilt my coil, higher off the deck and closer to the airhole as you have done it, and it does seem better. Glad you're having a nice vape.

@Poisontail 0.15, wow, that must be warm. Don't think my MVP2 could handle that, lol.

Actually that brings up a question for you guys. I built a coil, 6 wraps aiming for 1ohm, but it came out at 1.4. I built another one, 28kanthal, 4 wraps, would come out at 0.8, but as mine seemed to be coming out higher I thought I'd aim for 0.8 to get 1ohm, if that makes sense. I think I wasn't factoring in the tail length with these horizontal coils.

Anyway the new coil came out at 0.8ohms. I've never built a sub ohm coil because I didn't think my MVP 2 could handle that, but it fires so I guess it is ok? I'm a bit unsure really. Can anyone give advice on this, is it safe?

Another question. Considering the ohms is 0.8, I don't get a great deal of vapour. I have checked many times to make sure the airhole isn't blocked. When I fire the device without the top cap on, lots of vapour comes off the wick. When I put the top cap and/or the drip tip on and when I drag on it, not a great deal of vapour. Is this because I am only using 4 wraps? i notice a lot of people here say they use 7 - 9 wraps, but that would make my ohms too high using 28kanthal.

Thanks!

It's safe and it is firing, 0.8 is the lowest an MVP will fire. The reason you are not getting much vapour off it is that despite what it is telling you on the settings the MVP is reducing the output going to the coil to stay within the amp limits of the device. I believe 1.2ohms is the lowest you can go without triggering this effect.

lemon80. You'll find that drip tip that comes with the Veritas doesn't really chuck a lot of vapour. Stick a wide bore drip tip on there and you'll see the difference. Only problem with wide bore tips is more air flow which gives more vapour but has the knock on effect of sometimes reducing the flavour. Juice with higher VG will give you more vapour too. Quite possibly the juice you are using is higher in PG. You also get a lot more vapour doing direct lung inhales with this rda rather than mouth to lung. Advantage of course with this rda is the juice tastes nice for both methods. At least I think so but I'm a Veritas fanboy. :D

@Diche Thanks for that. I've got my kayfun coil at 1.1ohms and it works well with decent vapour, so I decided to build a 1.1ohm coil for the dripper. Wow it works so much better! I'm really happy because the coil looked lovely (at least to my eyes lol). No honestly I think you guys would be proud of my effort, or perhaps pleasantly surprised at least! :D

@Chris_vapehead Yeah I realised just after I'd ordered that I shouldda ordered a wide bore drip tip. I wasn't sure if that was just for dripping from the top, but I thought it might have something to do with vapour production as well. Now I know it does. I'm happy though coz flavour is important, but clouds are fun too. Thanks for the tip about direct lung inhale. I've never really done that with vaping, so I just had a go and it does produce better clouds *fun*.

Btw I only use high VG juices, I don't react well to high PG juices. I do have some high PG juices that I might drip a bit at a time. A little session on high PG doesn't mess me up too much.

I'm really glad I bought the Veritas. I love how it doesn't leak, has a deep juice well and while there may be easier RDA's out there, I like! building on it. I aint messing with this coil for a while though, lol. @Chris_vapehead How's your Magma doing mate?

Cheers,

lemon.

Last edited:
@lemon80. Regarding the Magma I truly hate the thing and ideally would like to replace it with another Veritas or possibly an Origen V2. Someone I know in the local vape shop expressed an interest in it along with some other stuff I have kicking about. If he doesn't end up buying it then most likely I will stick it in the classifieds.

@Chris_vapehead Yeah aint worth the waste of life dealing with flawed things. I'm not getting decent flavour from my Veritas single horizontal build. I've moved the coil down and further away from the air hole, up and closer to airhole, down and closer to airhole, lower and closer to the airhole. It's all the same.

I get better flavour from my kayfun using the same cotton and same ohm coil, 1.1ohm, but even that isn't the flavour I'm after. I just don't get it. Sometimes I wonder if I'm just wasting my life with vaping, yet for some reason I persist. I'm not down or anything, I'm perfectly relaxed, but I've spent a year on vaping chasing the best setup and flavour, learning so much stuff, spending a lot of money and TIME! (had big fall outs with my gf about that!), and the end results are pitiful. I might as well smoke cigarettes. At least I enjoyed that and they work.

Last edited:
@Chris_vapehead Yeah aint worth the waste of life dealing with flawed things. I'm not getting decent flavour from my Veritas single horizontal build. I've moved the coil down and further away from the air hole, up and closer to airhole, down and closer to airhole, lower and closer to the airhole. It's all the same.

I get better flavour from my kayfun using the same cotton and same ohm coil, 1.1ohm, but even that isn't the flavour I'm after. I just don't get it. Sometimes I wonder if I'm just wasting my life with vaping, yet for some reason I persist. I'm not down or anything, I'm perfectly relaxed, but I've spent a year on vaping chasing the best setup and flavour, learning so much stuff, spending a lot of money and TIME! (had big fall outs with my gf about that!), and the end results are pitiful. I might as well smoke cigarettes. At least I enjoyed that and they work.

Oh well that's a shame since you said the other day you were enjoying it. Coil should be level with the airhole in the Veritas. But if it's not for you I'm surprised. You could try dual vertical coils and see if that makes any difference for you. Possibly you are also putting too much wick in there. If you're using organic cotton then try Rayon or try Japanese Cotton it might give you what you are looking for.

On the other hand have you tried anything so far that gave you the flavour you were looking for? That's not to say a tank or rda isn't out there that suits you but maybe the problem is your choice of juice, maybe its your wicking. There are ton of possible reasons why its different for everybody. It took me almost two years to find juice that I really loved and wanted to vape all the time and while I did stay cigarette free there were a few times when I felt vaping was doing nothing for me.

I can see why some people like the Kayfun its often a warm vape and flavours tend to blend better but for me it's not a favourite. Too tight a draw, leaks often, can't fiddle with the deck without draining the tank, not enough vapour either but that's not to say the thing has bad flavour, far from it.

Personally this never ending quest for perfect flavour seems like the Holy Grail of vaping for me and as such has become pointless. What you ideally want is something you are happy enough with that you enjoy doing it and it keeps you wanting to do it and away from cigarettes or it helps you to ween yourself off nicotine to quit entirely. If a person is not enjoying their vape experience then sure they should upgrade and see if it helps. But spending even more money on the latest new rda or tank that promises to be so much better in flavour is something I personally now avoid. Because at the end of the day how much better is it? 5%, 10%, 50%. I think sometimes a new shiny is hyped beyond belief that it just makes people feel better (placebo effect) and the truth is it probably isn't that much better anyway. But why even bother if you are happy with your vaping. That's not to say that their isn't innovation in designs compare last years rdas with this years. There will also be more innovation in the future but it only seems worth it if you're unsatisfied in some way or your current equipment has given up the ghost.

I'll tell you right now there isn't massive difference to me between my Veritas, my leaky Magma, my Vulcan, Tobh, Plumeveil, Quasar. The only difference is really how easy they are to build or the amount of juice capacity or their build options dual/single etc. Although it's true that the Veritas and Magma might seem to me to be slightly more flavoursome that doesn't mean I get a bad vape from the others. Manabush, Snake Oil, Red Astaire, Digby's, Colonel Boom's. It tastes pretty much the same to me whichever rda I put it in and I enjoy vaping it. The only real variation between my rda's is airflow options and mainly how much vapour they put out. I rank the Veritas highest because it has good flavour, has a decent juice well, fairly good vapour at sub ohms, it never leaks and I can carry it around with me when I go out. That's it. I have to say though I don't like building it but I can do it.

Obviously I don't want you to go back to smoking for the obvious health risks it presents. I would much prefer that you got a satisfactory vape than going out and buying the deathsticks again. I also know how hard it is when you are unsatisfied but seriously don't spend more money. Go into a shop and ask to try their tanks, drippers etc so you can maybe find something you are comfortable with. Buy samples of juices instead of complete bottles that you end up having to sell.

Beyond that I can't really suggest anything else. On the plus side of things though you do have an Rda now that you can take out and about without it leaking inside your pocket and if nothing else you've at least got an idea of the comparison between that and your Kayfun.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom