What's new

FreeMax Maxus Solo 100 Kit

Tazz

Legend
Hi to all. I would firstly like to thank Joyi and Sourcemore for sending me this kit for review.

The following are my personal views and thoughts on this device.

I am not payed to do so but do get to keep the kit.

maxus-solo-100w-kit-bg-p-03.jpg

THE FREEMAX MAXUS 100 SOLO KIT

Ok. As usual with all kits these days the Maxus Solo comes with the typical inclusions of, along of course with the Mod and Tank, a spare tank glass, two coils, a packet of spare seals, a charge lead, info cards and, if they support the use of a variety of battery sizes as does the Maxus and a number of others, an 18650 battery sleeve.
IMG_20230118_113537_483~2.jpg

The supplied coils are a single FL1 DD mesh coil of .15ohm rated 50 to 80w and an FL2 Double Mesh of .2 ohm rated the same 50 to 80w. Both are of the push in to fit style and said to be best at 80w.

THE MOD
Alright, this mod I'll have to admit is a bit different to those I typically would use.
Why? Well it is a bit gimmicky with its mood lighting and visible chip giving the user the options to change the colours, colour effects and screen colour theme with the doing of all this turning it into a mini mobile disco light. Gimmicky, good or bad?
Well, the way things are these days getting all doom, gloom and political correct overboard I think having anything that can, could put a smile on one's dial then I'm going to go with a "why not" answer!
And hey, you can turn all the lighting effects off if you like.
IMG_20230214_233133_915~2.jpg

OK SO WHAT'S IT GOT?

The Freemax Solo comes with enough options to keep just about anyone happy. Power Mode (Normal, Sport and Eco), VPC (curve mode), Bypass, TC and TCR. Its powered by Freemax's FM 3.0 chip and has a plethora (don't ya love that word!?) of saftey features. These being, Reverse Battery, Battery Low, Overheat, Open Circuit, Short Circuit, Overcharge, Over Time and Over Discharge.

The screen is an ample size for the size of the mod being a 1.06 inch OLED with the option to change the colour of it in the menu.

Selectable coulours are, a light kind of aqau blu/green, blue, purple, green and orange. That's for the screen, for the mod itself there are nine colour options!
IMG_20230214_233801_638~2.jpg

Shown on it, the screen, in working Power mode for example are battery level, coil ohms, puffs and voltage etc.

To change modes 3 clicks of the fire button will see the present selected mode name illuminate and flash, say your in Power mode the word Power will flash. Single press whilst this is happening, it will stop flashing and remain illuminated. You can now scroll through the options of Power, Vpc etc using the up/down plus minus buttons.
IMG_20230214_234204_132.jpg

Ok, to enter the Settings menu where you can Test the Coil, set Timeout, Theme Colour, Led on/off, Led Control, select Celcius or Farenheit, Puff Reset, Time Reset, Main Reset and of course exit, then do the following. Again do the three taps or quick pushes of the Fire button and then scroll down with either up/down buttons to the word Settings then press the fire button. Your now in settings and can change the overall colour of the mods illumination, the screen colour, whether you want the colours of the mod to stay on, breathe (on off whilst in use) or show all the various colours with each pulsing flash.
I'll admit it is a pretty cool little mod and as much fun as it is seeing it flash its full spectrum of colours my personal choice was dark green main with a blue screen staying on, no flashing.
IMG_20230214_233919_096~2.jpg

Overall its a good performer with just 1 single picky point. The power/fire button is a bit stiff requiring a dirrect push/hit in its middle to activate. It wont respond, or at least mine doesn't, from a partial touch or push from connecting with the button partially say from the side (finger half on the button). It has to be a dead centre push.
It has admittedly softened a touch but is still quite firm. Otherwise this thing is very hard to fault and really is a nicely designed little mod, even the lock button is well done.
IMG_20230223_111653_020~2.jpg

A slide up or down shows an animated lock/unlock visual. Hey, even turning the whole thing off says "Goodbye" to you on the screen. Nice touch! The battery door is a full slide open one which forms the majority of the base, but it sits nicely, doesn't rock about on it and doesn't seem to present any problems.
Battery wise the Solo can be used with an 18650 utilitising the supplied battery sleeve or either 20100 or 21700 batteries.

FIRELUKE SOLO TANK

Now this tank did surprise me, especially being a bottom air flow. Im a huge fan of top air flow tanks for the obvious reason, I hate leaks from bottom air flows. I have had a few mods over the years ruined by big leaks overnight. I guess the obvious answer to that is "hey take your tank off each night". But lets be honest, we don't always remember to do things and this day and age after vapes being around for so long either make top air flow tanks or coils that don't leak and juice proof mods.
IMG_20230119_105323_671~3.jpg

Anyway, to this tank and coil match up.

I'll start with the FL1 .15ohm coil.
The FL coils use a cotton and tea fibre mix which it is said to give improved flavour and long coil life. The FL1 is a single mesh coil utilitising the DD mesh design. This gives the fibre a near full coverage using 2 D shaped mesh structures.
IMG_20230119_105617_100~3.jpg

Stated tank capacity is 5ml. Measured tank capacity, 4.5 ml by me. Not too bad.

Bottom line are they any good!?
I loaded up the tank with a double Raspberry mix that is virtually clear, contained 3mg of nic and 3 drops of sweetener per 60ml.

I have to say the taste was full on and the vape right down my alley being a wide open DTL style. I tried raising the wattage from 50 upwards to see how it went and settled on 60 for my taste and preference. Its rated 50 to 80 but felt a bit warm getting above 60 to me. I don't like an overly warm vape. Ok, so 60 ml later and no sign of a leak whatsoever, I then switched to a Licorice mix. Again taste was great, after 50 ml of this I still could not see a hint of a leak so emptied the tank and pulled it apart. I was surprised to see after all that just 4 tiny drops of the ejuice on the contact base of the tank. It has to be the best outcome I have seen from a bottom air flow tank to date. Taste was still pretty ok too and there was still life in it.
IMG_20230205_215109_978~2.jpg

Time for the double, FL2.

This I loaded with a Chocolate Hazelnut mix which in hindsight was a mistake, containing 3mg of nic and zero sweetener. Its rated the same, 50 to 80w and I found myself settling on the same wattage as the single after playing around with levels. Unfortunately the lifespan for me with this coil was below what I expected seeing it give bad hits after 40 to 50ml was put through it. They started at 40 and it was done at 50 as far as I was concerned. I know dark juices are known to be coil killers but to taste it start at 40 ml was a bit disappointing. I don't know how much longer it may have lasted using a clear mix and again in hindsight I regret not using the exact same mixes to try it.

But, the Single mesh was exceptional in lifespan with no leakage and one that can be highly recommended.
If there is 1 niggle with this tank its the fill port. If you are like me and use Chubby Gorilla bottles you will find the nozzle wont go into the filler and just the very tip by a mm or two will. Filling this way is very slow and squeezing like normal will see overflows. The lift and slide back top works pretty well but it just needs a bit wider fill port.

Final Thoughts

Well the entire setup was a pleasure to use, the mod is a great well made one with all the options there that one could ask for. The ability to use it with an 18650, 20100 or 21700 battery is great to see. The lighting is fun to use and the whole thing looks really good. It's all quite cleverly made really from the light selections, the options, right down to the little touch of Goodbye when you turn it off and animated lock/unlock.
IMG_20230214_233303_756~2.jpg

The tank I have no complaints apart from the too narrow fill port, it vapes good and the FL1 coil is fantastic.

All up it really was a real little surprise package which I'm sure will put a smile on just about any user's face. Two thumbs up.
IMG_20230214_233401_999~2.jpg

Many thanks again to Joyi from Sourcemore for giving me the opportunity to review this device.

https://www.sourcemore.com/kits/mod-kits/freemax-maxus-solo-100w-kit.html

Last edited:
Nice review Tazz mate. The freemax coils are always pretty good imo. I don't even mind the lights on their latest gear, it's clarly marketed at 20 somethings that go out a lot.

Great review. I am 54 and have the solo and the Maxus 2 but I prefer the Maxus 2. The lights are more streamlined and you can alter the brightness but still both great

Great review. I am 54 and have the solo and the Maxus 2 but I prefer the Maxus 2. The lights are more streamlined and you can alter the brightness but still both great
Thanks, all it needs is an led torch I reckon. :)2
Is a decent little unit!

Back
Top Bottom