What's new

Smok Mag Solo Kit

Tazz

Legend
Hello all. Many thanks goes to Joyi from Sourcemore for sending me this kit for review.
This is not a payed review, though I do get to keep the product.

SMOK MAG SOLO & T AIR TANK KIT
SMOK_Mag_Solo_Kit_Full_Colors_New.jpg

Hi to all.

The Smok Mag Solo kit consists of a single battery mod, a T Air sub ohm tank and the usual typical inclusions.
These being two coils, a .2 ohm and .4 ohm mesh coil, spare seals, a spare tank glass, a C type charging lead and battery safety card and warranty card.
IMG_20230811_145245_418~2.jpg

IMG_20230811_144913_691~2.jpg

We'll start with the mod.

SMOK SOLO 100W MOD
IMG_20230811_161439_717~2.jpg

The first thing one will notice is the striking resemblance the Mag Solo has to the Geek Vape solo mods. It's undeniable, from side on view to the stitched back section, that the general shape has been, lets say "adopted" by Smok. To be fair, if that's the best way to put it, this is a common theme these days with everything from vape gear to cars and many many other consumer goods. I may have said this before but I truly can't tell the difference nowadays between most SUV's on the road until I see the badging or logos when I get up close enough to see them!
Anyway, the Smok is a 21700,20700 or 18650 battery mod (18650 using the supplied adaptor sleeve).....
IMG_20230811_152235_566~2.jpg

.... but is smaller somewhat than the Geek Max 100 which also uses a 21700 battery as you can see in the comparison photo here. Its lighter too!
IMG_20230919_162722_049~2.jpg

Ok, it's a simple one trick pony the Mag Solo in that it is a straight out power mode one. No bells and whistles, no curves or temp modes etc. Turn on and go simplicity. Smok went this way with the previous bigger brother version of this one, the dual 18650, which too is a straight up power mod only.

Good or bad? It could be thought bad if one purchased it not knowing it was just a power mode mod, but not if one did knowing that it was. So beware, there are the odd vape shops online that I have seen advertise these as having other modes. Im not sure whether they are purposely out to deceive or just lazily cut and paste info. Knowing people these days im going the latter.
Personally, knowing what it is, a straight up Power mode mod, I have no issue with it.

Ok, this is real simple.
Upon putting the batteries in you will see the Smok logo illuminate on the screen for a couple of seconds letting you know the battery is in correctly.
Five taps on the power button fires it up.
Top on screen is a battery icon level indicator next to a battery % level indicator.
Below this your Power level with a tiny Locked/Unlocked symbol just above it to the right.
Under this is Wattage, Volts, Puffs and Puff timer.
IMG_20230811_161253_460~2.jpg

Power is locked by quickly pressing the Power/Fire button three times and to unlock simply repeat that process.
To clear the Puff counter press the Power or Fire button and Down button at the same time where you will then see clear puffs Yes or No. Puffs go up to 999 then reset automatically otherwise.
To set the theme colour or screen colour, of which there are 6 of, simply press the Power/Fire button and the Up button at the same time, each subsequent dual press will scroll you through them.

For those interested the specs are…5 to 100w, it supports a C type charge system, height is 95.2 mm, width 32.2 and charging is 1.5 amp.
IMG_20230811_161526_651~2.jpg

It has short circuit protection, overheat protection and low battery warning. Oh, and passes the credit card test on the battery door with flying colours.
IMG_20230811_161718_645~2.jpg

That's it, as simple and easy as!

T AIR TANK
IMG_20230811_145454_788~3 (1).jpg

Ok this the best part of the kit, not to say the mod isn't good, but this tank is in my opinion very good.

The T Air is a top air flow, my favourite type, utilising the ever popular push in pull out style mesh coils. These are Smoks TA coils.
IMG_20230811_145656_074~2.jpg

The tank has, my version, a bubble glass which is a fatter more squat type giving the tank an overall lower profile. I think thats good as it sits lower making it less top heavy than some others out there. And for those wondering it sits at 32mm wide and 51.7mm high. Nearly forgot, its rated 5ml, fully saturated coil and using a syringe a tad over 4ml.
It has dual honeycomb air flows with stops to keep it from free turning with a fully twist off top that fits on nice and firmly. It should never come undone without wanting it to. Up top is an 810 drip tip.
IMG_20230811_145546_765~2.jpg

IMG_20230811_161653_797~2.jpg

The honeycomb style air flows at first had me wondering wether this would be a somewhat restricted vape. Now whilst there are more wide open air flow tanks out there, like its big brothers the TFV 16 and 18, it is still an ample vape for those wanting big air.

First up for try was the .2ohm.
No funky wierd start up taste was even noticeable. For those who remember, weren't the coils of the past a pain during the break in period where you got a myriad of wierd off flavours and tastes until a tank of juice went through them! I used to hate that. Thankfully just about every manufacturer these days have made that a thing of the past, thank goodness for that.
My first choice was to run 60 ml of Cap Black Licorice through it at 65vg 35pg ratio.
This coil is rated 50 to 70 watts and after some trial I settled on 55.
Flavour was great from the start with it, in my opinion, gaining a bit after the first tank went through it. Clouds and flavour were spot on and compared very favorably with my Voopoo Uforce L tank. I went through the Licorice then did a switch to a Flavour Art Citrus mix at the same Vg/Pg ratio. It only took half a tank full to fully cross over the flavours and to be honest at no time during the transition did anything taste bad. 60 ml of that gone I did another switch, this time to a Flavorah Raspberry, same ratio. Same experience during the transition, all good.
I was up to 150ml now going through it and would say I lost maybe ⅓ of the flavour, not bad really, and was really wanting to take this coil right to the end of its lifespan. Unfortunately I wasn't paying attention whilst watching and cheering on a game of AFL and vaped it dry, dry hitting bad. I had inadvertently wiped it out bad enough that there was no recovery. I was dirty on that, oh and the team I was cheering on lost too.

So onto the .4 ohm coil. This one is rated 20 to 45 watts with me finding 40 to be to my liking.
Admittedly the entire experience with this one isn't as intense as the .2 ohm but its very much acceptable giving good flavour and decent clouds considering its lower wattage.
So far this has been in for 60ml and going strong, im hoping to see it last as good as the .2 and can't see why not.
I did push this coil for 30 ml, several refills, at 50 watts just to see how it went and it hung in there fine and tasted good. Is the rating of 20 to 45 underdone a little?

All up this is a great little kit. The mod may be just power mode but it hits fast and works just fine.
Its small size for a 21700 mod is great as you can carry it anywhere without the fuss of feeling like its getting in the way weight and size wise.
The T Air is a winner. Top air flow, zero chance of leaks, no filling of the tank base with excess fluid, great flavour and clouds and id dare to say above average coil life. Yep, from a Smok.
I have no negatives in regards to this kit even though the mod is simply power mode and not IP rated. With the T Air it doesn't need to be. If it came with a bottom air flow tank id give that a small negative point but as it is I don't.

The kit works well and the T Air tank is a well worthwhile tank to consider.
Right now the kit is on sale at Sourcemore at a pretty decent price.
https://www.sourcemore.com/smok-mag-solo-mod-kit.html
Many thanks again to Joyi and Sourcemore for sending this to me and their patience.

Take care everyone wherever you may be, cheers.

Last edited:
Nice one, @Tazz :worship:

Brilliant pics and informative review. Top review, meh product. Is the tank any better than the 20 iterations before it? Wasn’t it around 2020 when we reached peak Smok? :18:

Hope you didn’t have too big a punt on your team :17:

giphy.gif

Nice review Tazz mate. Quite like the shape of this mod, not overly gun shaped, like the other mags and not too much branding on it either. Liking the look of the tank as well. I always find when SMOK step away from the TFV tanks they do quite well.

Nice one, @Tazz :worship:

Brilliant pics and informative review. Top review, meh product. Is the tank any better than the 20 iterations before it? Wasn’t it around 2020 when we reached peak Smok? :18:

Hope you didn’t have too big a punt on your team :17:

giphy.gif
Thanks mate.
Mate Smok used to be tank coil wise atrocious as you obviously know, the benchmark for bad! Im getting serious use out of them these days, the coils in the TFVs now, especially the doubles, are beasts.
But I get the Smok apprehension these days due to past experiences. They were shockingly bad.
Nah I don't sports bet, too much dodgy things go on at times to trust an honest outcome.
I like watching it though with a brew or two...

Nice review Tazz mate. Quite like the shape of this mod, not overly gun shaped, like the other mags and not too much branding on it either. Liking the look of the tank as well. I always find when SMOK step away from the TFV tanks they do quite well.
Thanks Gitchy. Iv decided to run the .4 over power to see how long it lasts on 50w. Its handling it no probs so far.
Id love to see the TFV 18 with top air flow with a double coil, but imagine the size it would have to be o_O
Yep that's Judge Judy in the background :18:
IMG_20230921_090521_236~2.jpg

.4 still going on 50w third time around on the puff count. Above the rated setting.
Using Raspberry, Strawberry, Marshmallow.
These coils last.
IMG_20231007_215512_862~2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom