What's new

Gona get us?

Jim

Postman
"In light of the above, can the Council state what action it intends to take to address the differences in tax revenue materialising in State coffers following the proliferation of electronic cigarettes, which currently appear to be free from any form of duty?"

Seen this elsewhere as a direct quote from some MEP. They don't give a sh*t about health only the public purse and what will we do if e-cigs overtake the real evils.
I'll leave this for all to discuss as I would probably get drawn into a mega rant and that would not be nice. :rant:

I think this was posted recently. An Italian MEP I believe. Eeeeeeeek! Money! We losa da money! I'm quite glad he said it really. It shows the real issue for them doesn't it?

I think this was posted recently. An Italian MEP I believe. Eeeeeeeek! Money! We losa da money! I'm quite glad he said it really. It shows the real issue for them doesn't it?

Sorry for repeating it, just made my blood boil but then again why should I be surprised. We're all cannon fodder after all.

This to me goes further than just revenue loss. Firstly, what used to get to me when I was a smoker, was all the people who said that we shouldnt get treatment on the NHS, as we were a burden, when you see that the revenue for tobacco products was in excess of 3 times the annual budget for the NHS!! So effectively, I have funded my treatment for the next 20 years ;)

But lets be honest running countries is a business, and with revenue from Tobacco falling, as more and more people taking up vaping, people are going to live longer, putting additional stress on things like pensions, and old age care etc.

So this is going to become a double or even treble whammy, and the government will have no option but to tax all forms of nicotine. With pharma and tobacco companies wanting to muscle in, how long will it be before you go into a shop and queue up and ask the assistant for nicotine, and the answer back will be 'do you want a packet or bottle'!!!

Cynical?? Hell yes :(

There is no justification for taxing nicotine anymore than caffeine. That's there dilemma. A sin tax for smoking maybe. Vaping...er why?

Totally agree with you Mark, but they will. Because one is derived from the other. Hell, if revenues fall far enough, I expect caffeine will be taxed as well, they are already talking of a fat tax :(

Back
Top Bottom