What's new

Review Gus 'Lord' telescopic mod

JackDaniels

Postman
I wouldn't call this a review, more a few thoughts on a mod that isn't often reviewed or written about. Certainly not over here, think it's far more popular across the pond. Todd does a great review of a Gus Core telescopic (basically the same without the pattern and brass accents). He loved the mod but thought the button throw was too long at about 5mm. Since then the throw has been reduced to about 2mm.

Prior to getting the Gus I'd had a number of vv/vw mods and the M-Vapes Stingray and the M-Vapes Nemesis mechanical clones. I wanted to experience a genuine mechanical mod which looks stunning and oozes quality. It didn't need to be the hardest hitting mod money could buy, I was pretty much happy with the vape from my clones.
I wanted a bottom firing button which was silky smooth no matter which part of the button was pressed. It also had to be telescopic as I change between 18650's and 18500's and for me changing tubes is a PITA.

Some pics with Nemesis clone and Provari Mini for comparison in the three battery modes:

ImageUploadedByPlanet of the Vapes1402074419.936204.jpg

ImageUploadedByPlanet of the Vapes1402074491.227045.jpg

ImageUploadedByPlanet of the Vapes1402074547.793770.jpg

ImageUploadedByPlanet of the Vapes1402074585.964534.jpg

ImageUploadedByPlanet of the Vapes1402074634.790684.jpg

So the Gus Lord is a 22mm telescopic mechanical mod made and sold by Gus in Greece (also available from vapeemporium.com as the sole reseller in the UK, although out of stock when I ordered).
It cost me 105 Euros for the version with airflow control in the top cap and 14.90 Euros delivery. Paid by PayPal - £101.23.
Ordered on Sunday and delivered on Tuesday. Bloody fantastic service.
No fancy box, just well packaged in a couple of acres of bubble wrap. You get a bag of spare bits and bobs too.

Looks:
Well I thought it was gorgeous in the pictures but in the flesh it's even more so. But I get that taste is subjective. The carving on the body looks far more pronounced in the pictures than on the mod when you receive it. You're just aware of a textured feel in your hand which offers more grip. I also think it differentiates this mod from so many others.
The three brass accents together with the brass switch button all add to the quality look of this device, it stands it out from the crowd.

Quality:
Excellent, the threads and machining are what I was hoping for.

Button:
Smooth as silk, no matter where it's pressed. As I said earlier the throw has been adjusted to between 1-2mm. It's a joy to use. Gus use ball bearings in the housing which the button pole glides through to make contact with the battery. The mod will stand unlocked without firing with my KFL+ on it. The locking ring doesn't stick and is just over one complete revolution from locked to unlocked.

Top cap:
I opted for the airflow version, non airflow is 15 Euros cheaper. I don't need it with the Kayfun but I thought it would cover all bases if I want something that needs it down the line. It's very discrete and I only saw it as I looked having paid for it!
Adjustable centre pin. With a fuse!!!!
I know this divides a lot of people however I think it's brilliant. The safety of a kick without the bulk. Like the Atmizoo Bug. They used to come with 5amp fuses, now they're 12amp.
So that should, if my ohms calculator is correct, allow you down to 0.4 ohms (4.1 volts from a charged battery with 0.4 coil is 10.25 amps and 42.02 watts). I reckon that covers the vast majority of vapers. Spares are available on ebay, about £5 for 10.
If you really don't like the idea the adjustable centre pin from numerous other mods fit it. Stingray, Nemesis and Paps to name a few.

Performance:
I haven't got any electronic wizardry for measuring voltage drop however:
The last coil I made for my Kayfun was 0.9 ohms (I was going for 1 ohm and missed). This vaped very well for me on either the clone Stingray or Nemesis. However when I slotted it on the Gus it tasted a bit burnt. So in my mind that's more battery power getting to the coil in this mod. So better performance than either of my clones. Re-coiled to 1.2 ohm and a perfect vape.

Conclusion:

Absolutely chuffed to bits, for me it's the perfect mod.

I've waffled on enough now so I'm off to vape the Gus/KFL loaded with Manabush Chiricahua Sun. Happy days :)

All the best
JD

Sent from my iPad using Planet of the Vapes

Last edited:
Tell you what, i'd love to do a review on a new vv/vw mod...but alas it will never happen :-(

Sent from a vape cloud using Planet of the Vapes

Back
Top Bottom