What's new

Sub Ohm Hellvape Dead Rabbit M RTA

Gitchy

Achiever
Kavis @Sourcemore sent me this to try out. I am not affiliated with POTV or Sourcemore, nor do I get paid to review things.

PXL_20221128_124708327.jpg

Hellvape Dead Rabbit M RTA

https://www.sourcemore.com/hellvape-dead-rabbit-m-rta.html

I was also given a discount code for this and it is: DERMR It brings the RTA down to $26.39

The Dead Rabbit M is a rebuildable mesh RTA with top airflow. The base is 25mm but with the bubble glass fitted it has a wider overall diameter than that. It comes with the straight glass fitted at 3ml and the bubble increases that to 4.5ml. Obviously the TPD version will be 2ml capacity. It’s set up to use mesh strips but you can also use a single round coil in it as well.

In the box you get:
1 Dead Rabbit M RTA
1 Multi-functional Coiling Rod
1 User Manual
2 0.15ohm SS316L Meshed Wire
2 0.25ohm KA1 Meshed Wire
4 Max Shoelace Cotton
1 Accessory Bag
1 Bubble Glass

Style wise it has the usual Dead Rabbit branding on the chimney, along with Vapers Brazil branding on the other side as this is a collaboration with Vapers Brazil, who seem to be Brazillian youtube reviewers from what I can find online. Filling is done by taking the top cap off after a quarter turn and it feels quite solid. Underneath the top cap is the airflow ring, which isn’t loose and has a nice smooth turn to it. There’s an 810 driptip on top and that seems well made and is comfortable to vape on. With it being a 25mm diameter tank it does look better on bigger mods imo. I have been using my dual 21700 with it and it does suit that but it’ll still look good on dual a 20650 mod as well.

PXL_20221128_124855976.jpg

In use I started off with the included 0.15 mesh strip and the included cotton. There’s a good amount of kit included with the tank. You get 4 cotton strips and 4 mesh strips as well. Two 0.15 and two 0.25ohm mesh strips get you started off really well. The included screwdriver and mesh bender was a particularly nice addition. I’ll be using that with most of my other mesh tanks from now on I think as most use Phillips head screws and it saves having 2 bits of kit out of my tool bag.

With the 0.15 mesh strip fitted I used the included cotton laces. The cotton did feel a bit loose compared to other tanks I use and I did wonder what the draw would be like as most of the time loose cotton means either dry hits or juice in the mouth in my experience with mesh rebuildable tanks. It actually worked pretty well, no dry hits and no excess liquid but I do prefer it a touch tighter in there myself, just for security, so I switched out the cotton for some other stuff I have in my kit bag. I found it is still a little loose to be honest but just not quite as loose as the hellvape cotton and I do wonder if the mesh is slightly bigger or the curve on it bigger when you install it compared to similar tanks. I used the usual wicking method of cutting a 45 degree angle on the excess cotton once trimmed to the edge of the deck and found that there’s plenty of room in the wicking holes on the deck to pack the cotton in. What I do like about this tank is that the cotton sits very nicely in the channels and there’s plenty of room for it to sit there with minimal trimming, unlike the other mesh RTAs I have. It’s easy to wick in other words and seems less finnicky than other tanks.

PXL_20221128_125101578.jpg

The draw on it is quite loose so you are good if you like your mesh tanks at the higher wattage range. It gives you a great amount of vape at the higher end of 60w (rated 50/60w) on the SS 0.15 strip and the flavour is pretty damn good as well. You can even push it a bit higher than the stated 60w and it still keeps up. I do prefer it a little less cloudy myself so I run it at 42w with the airflow half closed, to get the draw I prefer. It is still good fully open but I like a bit of restriction personally.

The 0.25 strip is rated at 45/55w so it’s not that much of a difference but again I was running it at about 40w and getting good flavour and vapour, again with the airflow a little more closed off. I did try to wick this one differently as the channels to put the wick in are quite big. I just didn’t do the 45 degree cut this time and fired the whole wick in once trimmed to the edge of the deck. It worked well again but I’m a creature of habit and my usual wicking method works so well on this tank so I reverted back. Using the whole wick also left me with a little less flavour so I definitely prefer the traditional wicking method for this kind of tank.

Overall the Dead Rabbit M is a nice addition to the available mesh RTAs available. I found the wicking to be very forgiving for a mesh tank. There’s no need to be experimenting with trimming the wick once set, just a little trim at the top if needed. I worry that there are a lot of mesh RTAs out there now and this one will be lost amongst them but it is worth a try if you like open airflow and are used to the wicking methods needed for mesh rebuildables.

PXL_20221128_124835585.jpg

Last edited:
Great review mate! Looks like this one may be a decent alternative to the Profile X. I really don't need any more mesh RTAs but if I did I think this would be top of the list.

Not related to the tank directly but I bought some of the Hellvape KA1 mesh strips to try in my Unity, Kylin M Pro and Orca Ponte and didn't find they provided as a nice a vape as my usual OFRF KA1 strips. Running them at my preferred 40-45W it always felt like they were on the verge of burning out (although they didn't). I do like a fast ramp up but these were almost too fast. I also bought the Hellvape Mesh cotton and did find that to be pretty decent though.

Great review mate! Looks like this one may be a decent alternative to the Profile X. I really don't need any more mesh RTAs but if I did I think this would be top of the list.

Not related to the tank directly but I bought some of the Hellvape KA1 mesh strips to try in my Unity, Kylin M Pro and Orca Ponte and didn't find they provided as a nice a vape as my usual OFRF KA1 strips. Running them at my preferred 40-45W it always felt like they were on the verge of burning out (although they didn't). I do like a fast ramp up but these were almost too fast. I also bought the Hellvape Mesh cotton and did find that to be pretty decent though.

I like it mate. I find with the Profile Unity I have to leave a bit of wick sitting up at the shoulders and with the Kylin M Pro I have to really trim that bit and sometimes I'll trim too much or not enough. With this it's just a little trim at the top and away you go. I think I might cut the wick a little over the deck next time though as the wicking channels are pretty deep and it's verging on getting juice in my mouth, not happening yet but I do worry about that. The mesh is decent but I do prefer the OFRF as well personally. I also use the rolls of vandy vape mesh so still to try that out in this tank. I would say that there's no need to thin the wick at all though. it is quite loose compared to the other mesh offerings.

I like it mate. I find with the Profile Unity I have to leave a bit of wick sitting up at the shoulders and with the Kylin M Pro I have to really trim that bit and sometimes I'll trim too much or not enough. With this it's just a little trim at the top and away you go. I think I might cut the wick a little over the deck next time though as the wicking channels are pretty deep and it's verging on getting juice in my mouth, not happening yet but I do worry about that. The mesh is decent but I do prefer the OFRF as well personally. I also use the rolls of vandy vape mesh so still to try that out in this tank. I would say that there's no need to thin the wick at all though. it is quite loose compared to the other mesh offerings.

I wick the M Pro like the Unity (°45 cut and good rake) because as you mention for this tank, if you have too much cotton in there it mutes the flavour. This sounds less fussy than both of them though, which is a good thing. I do find the M Pro lags behind the Unity ever so slightly in terms of flavour though, perhaps due to the top airflow. How would you say the Dead rabbit M compares to them both when it comes to flavour?

I wick the M Pro like the Unity (°45 cut and good rake) because as you mention for this tank, if you have too much cotton in there it mutes the flavour. This sounds less fussy than both of them though, which is a good thing. I do find the M Pro lags behind the Unity ever so slightly in terms of flavour though, perhaps due to the top airflow. How would you say the Dead rabbit M compares to them both when it comes to flavour?

I'd say it's more comparable to the M Pro to be honest mate. Maybe a little bit better but not quite on the same level as the Unity for me. It's the draw, the Unity is that little bit more restricted and that gives me better flavour, no matter how I use the airflow rings on any of them. If you want to go higher on wattage I'd go for the Dead Rabbit M because the airflow is looser but you seem to be like myself and run it lower than recommended. The Unity is perfect for that.

The Dead Rabbit is a lot less fussy wicking wise but I'll be running that and the Unity myself, although saying that I've got an Aromanizer Plus 3 and a Profile X coming for Christmas so who knows lol.

I'd say it's more comparable to the M Pro to be honest mate. Maybe a little bit better but not quite on the same level as the Unity for me. It's the draw, the Unity is that little bit more restricted and that gives me better flavour, no matter how I use the airflow rings on any of them. If you want to go higher on wattage I'd go for the Dead Rabbit M because the airflow is looser but you seem to be like myself and run it lower than recommended. The Unity is perfect for that.

The Dead Rabbit is a lot less fussy wicking wise but I'll be running that and the Unity myself, although saying that I've got an Aromanizer Plus 3 and a Profile X coming for Christmas so who knows lol.

That's good to know, thanks mate!

Yeah, lower wattages and 2 or 3 airflow holes open is my sweet spot on the Unity.

Keen to hear your thoughts on the Aromanizer Plus 3 and Profile X when you get them ;)

Kavis @Sourcemore sent me this to try out. I am not affiliated with POTV or Sourcemore, nor do I get paid to review things.

View attachment 299930

Hellvape Dead Rabbit M RTA

https://www.sourcemore.com/hellvape-dead-rabbit-m-rta.html

I was also given a discount code for this and it is: DERMR It brings the RTA down to $26.39

The Dead Rabbit M is a rebuildable mesh RTA with top airflow. The base is 25mm but with the bubble glass fitted it has a wider overall diameter than that. It comes with the straight glass fitted at 3ml and the bubble increases that to 4.5ml. Obviously the TPD version will be 2ml capacity. It’s set up to use mesh strips but you can also use a single round coil in it as well.

In the box you get:
1 Dead Rabbit M RTA
1 Multi-functional Coiling Rod
1 User Manual
2 0.15ohm SS316L Meshed Wire
2 0.25ohm KA1 Meshed Wire
4 Max Shoelace Cotton
1 Accessory Bag
1 Bubble Glass

Style wise it has the usual Dead Rabbit branding on the chimney, along with Vapers Brazil branding on the other side as this is a collaboration with Vapers Brazil, who seem to be Brazillian youtube reviewers from what I can find online. Filling is done by taking the top cap off after a quarter turn and it feels quite solid. Underneath the top cap is the airflow ring, which isn’t loose and has a nice smooth turn to it. There’s an 810 driptip on top and that seems well made and is comfortable to vape on. With it being a 25mm diameter tank it does look better on bigger mods imo. I have been using my dual 21700 with it and it does suit that but it’ll still look good on dual a 20650 mod as well.

View attachment 299932

In use I started off with the included 0.15 mesh strip and the included cotton. There’s a good amount of kit included with the tank. You get 4 cotton strips and 4 mesh strips as well. Two 0.15 and two 0.25ohm mesh strips get you started off really well. The included screwdriver and mesh bender was a particularly nice addition. I’ll be using that with most of my other mesh tanks from now on I think as most use Phillips head screws and it saves having 2 bits of kit out of my tool bag.

With the 0.15 mesh strip fitted I used the included cotton laces. The cotton did feel a bit loose compared to other tanks I use and I did wonder what the draw would be like as most of the time loose cotton means either dry hits or juice in the mouth in my experience with mesh rebuildable tanks. It actually worked pretty well, no dry hits and no excess liquid but I do prefer it a touch tighter in there myself, just for security, so I switched out the cotton for some other stuff I have in my kit bag. I found it is still a little loose to be honest but just not quite as loose as the hellvape cotton and I do wonder if the mesh is slightly bigger or the curve on it bigger when you install it compared to similar tanks. I used the usual wicking method of cutting a 45 degree angle on the excess cotton once trimmed to the edge of the deck and found that there’s plenty of room in the wicking holes on the deck to pack the cotton in. What I do like about this tank is that the cotton sits very nicely in the channels and there’s plenty of room for it to sit there with minimal trimming, unlike the other mesh RTAs I have. It’s easy to wick in other words and seems less finnicky that other tanks.

View attachment 299935

The draw on it is quite loose so you are good if you like your mesh tanks at the higher wattage range. It gives you a great amount of vape at the higher end of 60w (rated 50/60w) on the SS 0.15 strip and the flavour is pretty damn good as well. You can even push it a bit higher than the stated 60w and it still keeps up. I do prefer it a little less cloudy myself so I run it at 42w with the airflow half closed, to get the draw I prefer. It is still good fully open but I like a bit of restriction personally.

The 0.25 strip is rated at 45/55w so it’s not that much of a difference but again I was running it at about 40w and getting good flavour and vapour, again with the airflow a little more closed off. I did try to wick this one differently as the channels to put the wick in are quite big. I just didn’t do the 45 degree cut this time and fired the whole wick in once trimmed to the edge of the deck. It worked well again but I’m a creature of habit and my usual wicking method works so well on this tank so I reverted back. Using the whole wick also left me with a little less flavour so I definitely prefer the traditional wicking method for this kind of tank.

Overall the Dead Rabbit M is a nice addition to the available mesh RTAs available. I found the wicking to be very forgiving for a mesh tank. There’s no need to be experimenting with trimming the wick once set, just a little trim at the top if needed. I worry that there are a lot of mesh RTAs out there now and this one will be lost amongst them but it is worth a try if you like open airflow and are used to the wicking methods needed for mesh rebuildables.

View attachment 299931

great in depth review bud, ive got plenty of mesh RTAs & this one reminds me off the Kylin M Pro i might be tempted by this after the mahoosive dissapointment over the profile X

great in depth review bud, ive got plenty of mesh RTAs & this one reminds me off the Kylin M Pro i might be tempted by this after the mahoosive dissapointment over the profile X

Oh dear, what's going on with the Profile X? I've been looking forward to trying it.

read all about here mate its a real pita to get wicking right amongst other things even though its same deck as the profile RDTA & they work fine, it always feels like its going dry hit no matter what you do with it even Nwhornet has as good as given in with it.

https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...s/threads/new-profile-incoming.213844/page-11

Aw man. I was so hoping it was an RTA version of the RDTA as that's my favourite. I just don't use it as much when I'm out and stuff so stick with the Unity most of the time, even though the wicking is trickier than the RDTA. Ah well. I'll get one and try it out see if I can get the wicking to where I like as I did have that issue with the Kylin M Pro. Thanks for the ilnk. I'll read through that later.

Back
Top Bottom