What's new

MTL Hellvape Dead Rabbit MTL RTA

Gitchy

Achiever
Kavis @Sourcemore sent me this to try out. I am not affiliated with POTV or Sourcemore, nor do I get paid to review things.

PXL_20231107_143752392.jpg

The Hellvape Dead Rabbit MTL RTA

https://www.sourcemore.com/hellvape-dead-rabbit-mtl-rta.html

It’s at a low price at present so no code this time around I’m afraid. It is less than £20 on Sourcemore just now though.

The Dead Rabbit MTL RTA is a 23mm single coil tank with a 2ml capacity. You also get an extra chamber with 4ml capacity. It has 4 airholes on the airflow control ring, sitting at 0.8mm, 1.2mm, 1.4mm and 1.6mm. There is also a spare Delrin driptip in the package.

In the box you get:
1 Dead Rabbit MTL RTA
1 Long Chamber with 4ml Glass
1 Shoelace Cotton
1 0.7ohm Ni80 Clapton Coil
1 510 Drip Tip
1 Accessory Bag
1 User Manual

PXL_20231107_150151138~2.jpg

The tank comes with a big sparkly driptip attached to the 2ml section chamber that looks pretty good and helps with proportions on a larger mod. There is also the included 510 delrin tip in the package to make it look a little shorter but I do like the sparkletip myself.

Filling is done via taking off the top cap, which is a screwcap. There are reasonably sized holes to get bottle tips in and it fills up fast enough for me. Onto the chamber and it’s a decent size so that wicking is easy enough. You don’t need to worry too much about catching threads on the wick if the cotton is overflowing a wee bit. The included 4ml chamber adds height to the tank, rather than having an ugly bubble glass on it. And the tank itself has a slightly bigger diameter at the top and bottom than the glass so that it’s harder to break the glass if/when dropped.

The deck has 2 posts and is the classic trap the wire under a screw type but it’s easy to use and much more forgiving than some of the older tanks that have this. The time I used to spend with a Taifun to get a coil in was ridiculous. Maybe just my sausage fingers striking again though. The wicking chambers are good enough as well, there’s decent room for the cotton. There are 4 holes each side of the wicking channels and Hellvape state that this is to reduce spitting and overflowing.

There is an airflow control ring at the bottom and it only gives 4 options; a 0.8mm hole, a 1.2mm hole, a 1.4mm hole and a 1.6mm hole. I personally would have liked more options, although I do like that there are no fiddly airflow pins, given that I am not predominately an MTL vaper. I just feel that the 4 airholes are on there from a design point of view rather than a functional one. I know some people like to use a 1.0mm hole and I would personally have liked a 1.8mm and 2.0mm option so I could RDL a little more comfortably.

PXL_20231107_161318094.jpg

In use I just fired in the included 0.7 Ni80 clapton coil, cut it, dry burnt it, wicked it and soaked it in liquid before attaching the deck to the tank and filling it up. I set it at 18w and started on the smallest airhole. It was far too tight for me but would suit someone who likes that tighter MTL draw. The 1.2mm option was much more open and I got a nice restricted MTL draw from that one. Onto the 1.4mm and it was looser again (unsurprisingly enough). The 1.6mm airflow option was where I was most comfortable with this coil, with both a MTL and a fairly restricted RDL draw coming from it. The flavour from this tank is actually very good and it is a very smooth draw; no spitting or gurgling with the fancier coil. Sometimes simple is better for some people (simple people like me).

I then tried it with the classic round wire build with some 27awg Ni80 wire. It was lovely on the 1.4mm air setting, a nice, airy MTL draw and again flavour was good. No spitting or gurgling at all and I have also found no leaking issues either..

I don’t think this is the best MTL RTA for the people who like a very tight draw as the airflow coming from the deck is one sized and there is only the airflow ring restricting all the air coming in. I personally like the simplicity and the draw on it is very good for that loose MTL and occasional RDL boost at the biggest airflow setting.

Overall, if you like a smallish MTL tank, with the option of a larger capacity tank section then the Dead Rabbit MTL RTA is a great place to start building. It’s also very good for the likes of myself, who don’t always want all the bells and whistles that a lot of modern MTL tanks come with. The draw is very good and the flavour is pretty decent as well. Apart from the limited airflow options this tank has been a surprise for me as I wasn’t expecting to like it as much as I did.

PXL_20231107_143059352.jpg

Great review I like this RTA a lot in fact I have three of them and they have sent a lot of other RTA's to my vape shelves to gather dust!!

Great review I like this RTA a lot in fact I have three of them and they have sent a lot of other RTA's to my vape shelves to gather dust!!

Yeah I like it for an mtl option. I think it's going to replace the Neeko as my mtl choice when I'm having a beer.

Surprised me so much that I’ve ended up with three of them, top drawer vape for peanuts and zero faff.

Back
Top Bottom