What's new

How toxic is nicotine?

Rotax

Initiate
You probably have read from EU level nicotine is toxic and the current LD50 has been about 30-60mg for over 150 years. Recently the limit has been redefine to be around 0,5-1g (1000mg). But is is lethal?

A 36 years old woman tried to commit suicide by ingesting 50ml of 30mg/ml nicotine liquid and result? After two hours ingestion the symptoms present were abdominal pain, nausea, and voluminous vomiting. Treatment was activated charcoal and observation for 6 hours.

So the EU's plan to restrict nicotine sales only to 10ml bottles cannot be justified with toxic content. Source

(I would have posted this post somewhere else in 1st place but I am still under 10 post limit)

This is a great article to read http://nicotinepolicy.net/konstanti...-regulatory-authorities-based-on-poor-science

This was posted this past October.

Yesterday however, a very important review was published in Archives of Toxicology. Professor Bernd Mayer from the University of Gratz performed an extensive review of available literature in an effort to identify the existing proof for defining the nicotine lethal dose in humans. He has also found several references mentioning that the acute lethal dose in humans has been estimated to be 50-60mg. However, no proof was provided for such figures. He had to go back to the mid of the 19th century to find that the lethal dose came from self experiments of Austrian pharmacologists, who described really peculiar and unrealistic symptoms after ingesting just 1-4mg of nicotine. Therefore, reports based on dubious experiments and results 150 years ago are still reproduced today…

More interestingly, Prof Mayer reports that the lethal level of nicotine as measured in postmortem exams was 2mg/ml of blood, corresponding to 4mg/ml of plasma. Such levels would correspond to ingesting 500-1000mg of nicotine. This is 10-20 times higher levels that those “accepted” today.

@KulrMeStoopid: That is the history behind the current LD50 level. Actually Dr. Farsalinos posted article about that topic few months ago. The suicide article was posted on twitter today (at least I had not seen it before)

I've not read it yet, but will soon. I follow Farsalinos pretty closely as well :)

@KulrMeStoopid: Actually she tried to commit suicide twice: 1st time ingesting 20ml of 18mg/ml with no symptoms at all. And yes she had mental problems. That article contains also good information about to toxicity of nicotine.

Shmidt in 1931 tried to commit suicide with 4g of pure nic. (not 4mg, 4g). Also survived, with the symptom's as above. Well documented case but lost the link. And can't be asked to go looking again.

And the simple fact Is as Rotax and kms have said handled properly our juice is safe but like any number of household chemicals handled improperly could be dangerous - conclusion to be drawn? Nicotine liquids should be sold freely to responsible adults and that is all the regulation we need

Sent from my HTC One X using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

dozy cow.

sorry I shouldn't be so cynical about people with mental health issues but for goodness sake - what a waste of goo :-)

So they going to start selling bleach and alcohol in 10ml bottles!?!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

Maybe steo u never know what they'll target next

Sent from my HTC One X using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

Back
Top Bottom