What's new

How toxic is nicotine?

after reading bits of info it seems nic isnt quite as bad as some want us to think it is. of course their scientists will say what they are told. i must admit im still affraid to mix my own but im sure i will take a lot of precautions and go for it one day soon
Graeme

update

A lot of things I've done haven't realised their immediate potential for maximum damage, but over time have lead to issues. For instance after 4 years of light but regular using a chain saw, I now get pins and needles so I suspect I've been using it too tensed up. So I don't really worry about lethal doses when mixing my own e juice, but I'm more worried about whether I've slightly leaky chambers leading to a long term low level exposure which may lead to problems in a decade's time.

One day later I'm adding this edit, I've been worrying about e juice smears on my fingers for a couple of months now, and wondering if it's got any long term consequences, but I'm just thinking that low level smears are probably the same as a nicotine patch and while it'd obviously be best to clean up, its not worth getting too paranoid about?

Last edited:
dozy cow.

sorry I shouldn't be so cynical about people with mental health issues but for goodness sake - what a waste of goo :-)

Perhaps she'd have had more success if she drank oven cleaner instead of nicotine... Just saying

Would the EU try to ban that too?

The things we are not only allowed to buy in large (and unlimited) quantities, but also generally store under the sink (within easy reach of kids & animals) are pretty scary - not least bleach and caustic soda - when a kid has an accident with the stuff, it's considered a terrible tragedy, but no-one ventures to suggest that the public should be banned from purchasing them.

Yet e-liquid, clearly many times safer than the above products, is restricted to the tiniest amounts based on the possibility that child may drink it and they DON'T KNOW how harmful it might be.

Last edited:
Bleach is dangerous? I'm writing to the Daily Mail now.

Well, obviously not 'now'. At this moment now I'm enjoying a nice glass of wine, a sweet vape and some wonderful cranberry Wensleydale.

I think Big Macs and chicken buckets should be by prescription only..

I think the W.H.O. might agree given a few facts from their site...

An estimated 17.3 million people died from CVDs in 2008, representing 30% of all global deaths.
Of these deaths, an estimated 7.3 million were due to coronary heart disease and 6.2 million were due to stroke.

Most cardiovascular diseases can be prevented by addressing risk factors such as tobacco use, unhealthy diet and obesity.

Examples of population-wide interventions that can be implemented to reduce CVDs include: comprehensive tobacco control policies, taxation to reduce the intake of foods that are high in fat, sugar and salt.

I think they should get their lost cig tax back from McD, KFC etc and leave vaping products alone to continue helping people avoid analogs, we can help reduce CVD from this side while they take care of the dietary aspect.
If we are raising taxes on things that do harm and cause diseases that put a massive burden on the NHS I think Ronald should take it in the ass !

Just a thought....

A lot of things I've done haven't realised their immediate potential for maximum damage, but over time have lead to issues. For instance after 4 years of light but regular using a chain saw, I now get pins and needles so I suspect I've been using it too tensed up. So I don't really worry about lethal doses when mixing my own e juice, but I'm more worried about whether I've slightly leaky chambers leading to a long term low level exposure which may lead to problems in a decade's time.

One day later I'm adding this edit, I've been worrying about e juice smears on my fingers for a couple of months now, and wondering if it's got any long term consequences, but I'm just thinking that low level smears are probably the same as a nicotine patch and while it'd obviously be best to clean up, its not worth getting too paranoid about?

alright Tom, 'ow bist ol' but? (I went to the Royal forest of dean grammar in Coleford before it became the college) I wouldn't worry too much about nic on your hands if it's just a few drops, just wipe or rinse off, any more, wash off, when mixing wear gloves - easy :D

However, just to drag this totally off topic mate, what you said about tingly fingers and using chainsaws did set my alarms off - sounds like you should find out about HAVS, hand-arm vibration syndrome - what they used to call 'whitefinger': go see your GP about it before it gets any worse and in the meantime get yourself some anti-vibration gloves - see here for more about it http://www.hse.gov.uk/treework/health/hand-arm-vibration.htm. It's in the same family of conditions as carpal tunnel syndrome, etc, and with nerve damage in your hands, it's going to be blinking difficult to vape. :thud:

Consider yourself told by the evil health & safety witch ;)

PG VG and Nicotine have long term studies on them... I think between the three theres at least 120 years worth... and the worst side effect of it being on the skin is mild irritation (unless your allergic to one of the ingredients)

I spend most of my days covered in nicotine, pg and vg and Ive never even had so much as a red spot or an itch on my fingers because of it.

Back
Top Bottom