What's new

In The OLD News

To the best of my knowledge ( and i could be stood corrected) its still on the cards -Particularly for the over 20mg / mls strength.

I think there is only one ( sort of ) ecig that meet the TPD requirements for a medicinal device, but thats still very different from it being accepted onto the NHS prescribing list. Plus the RCGP ( Royal College of GP's) dont want to do it, and there is a debate going on from this perspective too. There concern is around the extra workload when they are struggling to meet demand as it is
It'll be interesting to see what happens in any new tobacco strategy

That's were it all gets confusing for me @Gonloopy , for, as I understand things, things have to "either or" and can not be both, so if an item is classified as a medicinal product then it can no longer be included in the TPD.

My understanding is that its a 2 tier system , the majority of the products we buy will be consumer products that meet consumer regulations.

One or two products ( namely those owned by Pharma or BT ) may put themselves through testing to meet criteria for medicinal regulation, a far higher ( and therefore more expensive ) standard to reach. The pay off for those that do this would be that ecigs, could. be prescribed on the NHS with what seems to be at the moment limited competition.

But yeah,nI agree with you, the TPD makes as much sense to me as boiling shite...

Currently there are no e-cigs licensed as a medicine/medicinal product.

In my opinion it's unlikely to happen as it takes a boat/shed big boat carrying a lot of sheds load of money to bring a new drug to market, hence why all the newer cancer drugs are so expensive, the company that releases said product has an exclusive license to sell said drug for a period of time to recoup their R&D costs. When the exclusivity expires they then tweak the formula and release a slightly different drug, but still get all of that good old exclusivity all over again. Deleted for excessive cynicism.

Anyway, why would the drug companies spend all the money helping people stop doing the thing that causes cancer, when they can just rake in all the cash treating cancer/COPD etc.

I think it was toyed with as an option - perhaps even a compulsory option and yes, twin system, one heavily regulated, the other register as a medicinal product. I believe only one product was ever registered?
Stupid idea because they just once again completely misunderstood what vaping is. Yes, it can be regarded as a smoking cessation tool pure and simple but it's obviously much more than that, it's a relatively harm free recreational pursuit which has the added benefit of avoiding the use of tobacco combustion.

Its a product called e-voke that meets the medicinal standard and is produced by Big Tobacco. IIRC I think many thought it eas shite and little more than a cig shaped inhaler but you can read the newspaper article about it here

Its a product called e-voke that meets the medicinal standard and is produced by Big Tobacco. IIRC I think many thought it eas shite and little more than a cig shaped inhaler but you can read the newspaper article about it here
That's the one. You see them everywhere ... (ahem)

Back
Top Bottom