What's new

Lab

It's a theory (and a very valid one) that the virus was accidentally leaked from the lab. .... there's no conspiracy there, nobody conspired to make that happen.

"To plan together secretly to commit an illegal or wrongful act"

It only becomes a conspiracy if people at the lab/the government/whoever conspired to release this intentionally.

... and it's a conspiracy if people conspired to cover either of those things up.

The idea that the virus came from the lab isn't a conspiracy, it doesn't need to be one either for it to be true.

Not offensive as such, but IME it's mostly used to reference to a silly theory that shouldn't be taken seriously, implying that ther person considering it is .... easily led... or whatever.

it is a phrase which has too many cultural connotations to be useful any more imo. the reason for this is, as @Mitz pointed out, because of it’s association with the fringe nutjob conspiracy grifter industry.

i agree with @Simon G .

Agree on all. I would just add that it is where we are now. Back at the start there was plenty of theory abounding. Accidental leak, military test gone wrong, intentional leak, infected animals from the lab going to the wet market. Wet market animal crossover infection. We didn't know back then that the cases started months earlier in China and they were trying to contain it and disappearing people. It was all guess work back then with very muddled info. And contrary to virtually every scientist who spoke publicly who said it was a natural occurrence. The picture is clearer now because we're 18 months down the line.

Now I'll also gladly STFU. :27:

I think there's a difference between asking questions and supplying your own answers, or answers that suit. 'Nutjob' or not, I think the 'consipracy theorist' label tends to get thrown at people who do that and seem to have an agenda?

i’m sure the head of the WHO group said he suspected a lab worker infected while collecting specimens from a bat cave. i think i read an interview.

Back
Top Bottom