What's new

Leeds courts’ electronic cigs ban

K

KulrMeStoopid

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co....es/leeds-courts-electronic-cigs-ban-1-5063327

By Sam Casey
Published on Thursday 25 October 2012 11:40

Staff at Leeds criminal courts have been ordered to take action against anyone seen using fake cigarettes.
In a directive seen by the YEP, workers have been told the legal electronic fags – used by smokers who are trying to quit – could encourage “undesirable behaviour”.
Both pro-smoking and anti-smoking groups have criticised the move as “short-sighted”.
The court edict said the e-cigarettes were lawful and did not pose a health risk.
But it added: “It is highly probable that any electronic cigarettes would cause undesirable reactions in a number of court users.
“Many would be anxious or annoyed at what appeared to be a flagrant breach of the law, some would be encouraged to produce and light up their own cigarettes in the mistaken belief that smoking was tolerated in that particular building.
“In all cases, it is likely that protests or queries or undesirable behaviour would be generated.
“For that reason, Her Majesty’s Courts and Tribunals Service bans their use.”
It said anyone who refused to stop using them should “be treated in exactly the same way as anyone else who does not observe the conditions by which people are admitted to court buildings.”
A spokeswoman for charity Action on Smoking and Health (ASH) said: “Electronic cigarettes do not harm other people and they can potentially help smokers who are struggling to quit.
“It’s short-sighted and unreasonable. These cigarettes should not be covered by the smoke-free legislation.
“This guidance will potentially alienate a lot of people and could encourage some people to start smoking again.”
Simon Clark, director of campaign group Forest – Freedom Organisation for the Right to Enjoy Smoking Tobacco – added: “I would have thought the courts would want to encourage anyone trying to quit. It’s slightly short-sighted.”

At the end of the day its up to the powers that be of a particular establishment whether or not they allow the use of e Cigs on their premises for whatever reason, i personally would respect the decision for them NOT to be used

A spokeswoman for charity Action on Smoking and Health (ASH) said: “Electronic cigarettes do not harm other people and they can potentially help smokers who are struggling to quit.
“It’s short-sighted and unreasonable. These cigarettes should not be covered by the smoke-free legislation.
“This guidance will potentially alienate a lot of people and could encourage some people to start smoking again.”

Really? I've contacted ASH a few times to ask what their current stance/advice is regarding vaping and never recieved a reply. I wonder if this is the official 'party line' for ASH.

As for the story, same old bs 'gateway', 'if it looks like a cig then others think it's ok to smoke' argument. What a load of old tosh.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co....es/leeds-courts-electronic-cigs-ban-1-5063327

By Sam Casey
Published on Thursday 25 October 2012 11:40
....”

Hope this is now the official ASH line and gets through to the Civil Servants at MHRA who are trying to change laws without any directive to do so. Some pompous self-important judge behind the decision I expect.

Back
Top Bottom