What's new

Mechanical mod battery orientation

Which way do you put your battery in a mech tube?

• Total voters

Mitz

Administrator
Staff member
What way do you put your battery in a mechanical tube mod and why?

would depend on the design of the switch, but should really be positive to where the vent holes are

Last edited:
the way it's designed to be used, on my mod that's negative to the switch

Towards the vent holes or the way which is specified by the manufacturer

Always positive up unless the tube is insulated. I would much rather have a short via the 510 than the button for obvious reasons. Any unnoticed damage to battery wraps (and it is possible for all of us) and a hard short via the inner wall of the mod down through the button to the battery positive is super dangerous, things could well go very wrong before you have the chance to do anything about it. Buttons can weld themselves closed in such circumstances. A mod auto firing with an atty attached is not ideal but it's far less dangerous. I think this risk is far more significant than the risks associated with vent holes being at the wrong end.

Last edited:
would depend on the design of the switch, but should really be positive to where the vent holes are

That is not the most important factor imo. Positive down in a bare tube makes thermal runaway far more likely than positive up and we should focus on prevention rather than mitigating the consequences. The majority of respondents so far have either have an unfaltering view of their own ability to spot the smallest of holes in battery wraps every time or don't understand the circuitry of a mech.

That is not the most important factor imo. Positive down in a bare tube makes thermal runaway far more likely than positive up and we should focus on prevention rather than mitigating the consequences. The majority of respondents so far have either have an unfaltering view of their own ability to spot the smallest of holes in battery wraps every time or don't understand the circuitry of a mech.

how does it?

See my post above. Don't want to sounds like a dick, and sorry if I have come across that way but it's an important topic. Which is preferable, an auto firing mod or a hard short via incredibly low electrical resistance of the mod tube and the button? That kind of short is more risky than low resistance builds etc imo.

See my post above. Don't want to sounds like a dick, and sorry if I have come across that way but it's an important topic. Which is preferable, an auto firing mod or a hard short via incredibly low electrical resistance of the mod tube and the button? That kind of short is more risky than low resistance builds etc imo.

shorts and battery safety and condition are definitely major things to watch for , which are the primary source of accidents along with using the wrong cells for builds

but should still come down to the individual design of the tube and switch , it its designed to be used a certain way , then that should be the way its used.

Back
Top Bottom