What's new

Ministers could pay £500 to everyone with Covid in England

So if you have been extremely careful throughout then no payment ?
If I had to isolate, I wouldn’t get ssp until my 5th day off, and then if I tested negative, back to work and no payment for the time off.

SSP in this country is dire, it's hideous, payments need to ramped up, for now and forever.

The UK’s Statutory Sick Pay legislation is almost the worst in Europe and is in breach of international law, figures revealed, as workers worry about how the Coronavirus will affect their ability to meet their living costs.

Described in 2018 as “manifestly inadequate” and “not in conformity” with the European Social Charter by the European Committee of Social Rights, the UK’s Statutory Sick Pay is the second-lowest in Europe.

Workers are entitled to just £94.25 a week when they are ill – significantly less than the National Minimum Wage – and even then this payment normally only kicks in on the fourth consecutive day of absence. The first three days of sickness are unpaid.

Around half of EU Member States provide sick pay from the first day of absence and the majority provide a higher rate of pay. Only three countries – including the UK – apply a flat rate of Statutory Sick Pay to all workers, and we are one of only four that do not extend this protection to the self-employed.

While Johnson’s government caved to pressure from the unions to provide sick pay from the first day of absence to workers affected by Coronavirus, it has been criticised for not reviewing the effectiveness of existing legislation at making it affordable for the infected to stay home.

TUC General Secretary Frances O’Grady said: “£94 a week is not a lot of money to pay the bills and survive on.“That’s why the TUC is calling for statutory sick pay to be increased to at least the real living wage.”

I know a few people who've been on SSP or lost income (self emp) because they've had to self isolate. Luckily, none of them have dependents or a family to support, but many do.

I def think it's a good scheme, but it wouldn't hurt to have a few simple safeguards in place to stop it being abused. Because yea you would get some idiots (or simply desparate people) who would get infected on purpose.

My 2c.

how do you win? on one hand you will say the government are useless and corrupt, but if they try and do something useful you can’t believe it, because the untrustworthy plebs will abuse it?
They aren't doing it though, eh.

This is straight out of Cummings' playbook: Announce an idea directly to the media anonymously, watch the reaction, then stand up and proudly embrace it or commandingly denounce it as a rumour started by idiots.

It's nothing more than Johnson's team attempting to repaint him as a proactive, decisive leader instead of the procrastinating, scientifically illiterate chocolate teapot that he is.

So if you have been extremely careful throughout then no payment ?
If I had to isolate, I wouldn’t get ssp until my 5th day off, and then if I tested negative, back to work and no payment for the time off.
Alternatively, if I isolate and then test positive I will receive full pay and now a bonus reward for letting my guard down ?
Makes perfect sense to me.

that’s a good point. seems they’ve not thought it through very well.

They aren't doing it though, eh.

This is straight out of Cummings' playbook: Announce an idea directly to the media anonymously, watch the reaction, then stand up and proudly embrace it or commandingly denounce it as a rumour started by idiots.

It's nothing more than Johnson's team attempting to repaint him as a proactive, decisive leader instead of the procrastinating, scientifically illiterate chocolate teapot that he is.

ah, that’s nearly as good as the model buses one.

ah, that’s nearly as good as the model buses one.
Tis, isn't it. I have to take my hat off to him in a way, this sleight of hand thing is the only thing he can do and he does it pretty well.

Tis, isn't it. I have to take my hat off to him in a way, this sleight of hand thing is the only thing he can do and he does it pretty well.

he’ll no doubt have learned about these tactics during his russian secondment.

we are now fully under the influence of the fiddlers formerly known as the KGB. taking back control, etc.

Edited for edits... or lost plot...

Last edited:
i googled for a picture of vladimir putin wearing michael fabricant’s wig. this was all that came up.

upload_2021-1-22_12-58-36.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom