What's new

VAT - A Wee Warning

ZenAnarchi

Achiever
Having read the article linked below, I thought I would share some Norwegian VAT wisdom accrued through bitter experiences. And the article is rather funny, in a “glad it’s not me” kind of way.
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...or-11000-chinese-firms?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

The reason for warning you Brits is the following: “A law change in January 2021 meant online marketplaces such as Amazon or eBay have to collect VAT from overseas traders themselves and pay it directly to HMRC.”

Norway has had a similar system in place for 3-4 years now, called VOEC. Our tax authorities have compiled a long list of companies who theoretically collect the VAT in advance, and the purchase should go right through customs. The only problem is…IT DOESN’T WORK!

1) Paying VAT does not mean you have paid VAT. More times than I care to remember, I’ve paid a company VAT only to be charged again, and duties of an extra £25 in addition. This has occurred with AliExpress and several Chinese companies, but also with the likes of Amazon and Etsy. And fighting the bureaucracy is always a losing battle, be it the seller or customs.

2) The list of companies is not updated. Having found a company that is registered to take VAT on the official list, this should mean a pain-free experience. But the lists are never updated! I have contacted the appropriate authorities about several companies that are on the list, that either take VAT incorrectly or admit that they no longer participate. No one cares…let the buyer beware.

3) There are always exceptions. Even though Norway has this VOEC system, there are many exceptions, and it’s not easy to discern. All tobacco related products imported to Norway are taxable and must be registered, and that includes absolutely all vape products (believe it or not). Vitamins are another example. So even though I’ve paid the VAT on some purchases, I still end up having to pay the duties’ fee of £25. And don’t try fighting customs about the law or their definition of it, arrogance doesn’t even begin to describe it.

4) A fraudulent company can suddenly mean you have to pay. As mentioned in the article, many Chinese companies fraudulently register with a UK address. If this is discovered by the HMRC, then the package you ordered could be charged VAT upon arrival. There are several companies selling vape products that one could suspect, for example dj vapes.

It’s a nasty surprise having to pay VAT twice, and fighting to get your money back is both frustrating and often futile. My advice, as pathetic as it is, is to know the customs and import laws as well as you can. Check all the companies you will be ordering from on TrustPilot and Google, many people post these experiences. And beware 3rd party vendors on many of these websites, as no one will take responsibility if there’s a problem.

This may seem obvious and unnecessary, and I hope it is, but if I can prevent a few others being burned by this idiocy, I’ll be happy. A word to the wise is sufficient.:D

giphy.gif

Last edited:
All I know is my recent order from AliExpress included VAT and it arrived with no problems.

This request to HMRC and their indecipherable response made me laugh, click the download towards the end.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/753490/response/1807042/attach/html/3/FOI2021 10147.pdf.html
I wasn’t casting dispersions on AliExpress in particular, just using them as an example. I have ordered three times from them, twice it was no problem, but on the biggest order I ended up having to pay VAT again. The ensuing back and forth with them, the vendor, Norway Post, and the tax authorities amounted to dangerously higher blood pressure and no refund. This is no longer a problem as AliExpress won’t even send vape gear to Norway anymore.

My point generally was to be careful and do a bit of research. But as you have shown quite admirably, the rules are damn near indecipherable for mere mortals. :eek:

I wasn’t casting dispersions on AliExpress in particular, just using them as an example. I have ordered three times from them, twice it was no problem, but on the biggest order I ended up having to pay VAT again. The ensuing back and forth with them, the vendor, Norway Post, and the tax authorities amounted to dangerously higher blood pressure and no refund. This is no longer a problem as AliExpress won’t even send vape gear to Norway anymore.

My point generally was to be careful and do a bit of research. But as you have shown quite admirably, the rules are damn near indecipherable for mere mortals. :eek:

Your experience is a good example of red tape. It appears HMRC wouldn't disclose if AliExpress is registered for VAT in the UK which is ridiculous. There should be a register open to all and sundry to check if a business is/isn't registered for VAT as if they aren't they can't collect and pay it. It appears they are but you need to know the # or registered name.

http://www.vat-lookup.co.uk/verify/vat_check.php/VATNumber/GB976354675

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom