What's new

RETURN OF THE CLONE WARS (?)

ZenAnarchi

Achiever
When I first started vaping, there was no discussion so passionate, no issue so engaging, and no topic so reviled as CLONES :11: There has been a lot less chatter on this subject since then, but now the industry has changed quite a bit, so maybe we need to reconsider our perspective…Return of the Clone Wars! :yoda:
giphy.gif

The discussion was all the rage, back in peak vaping, and I do mean rage. You couldn’t open a vaping forum without seeing threads with many principled, passionate participants, arguing endlessly about the use of cloned vape gear. And clones were amazingly cheap and plentiful. Quality-wise, there were plenty of questions. You even had to certify a mod’s authenticity with the holo scratch and sniff on the side of the packaging (smells like Pathetic Bald YouTuber Who Throws His Toys Out of the Pram). Personally , I always wondered how a cloned Smok could’ve been any worse than an authentic one, but that’s where we were at :hmm: On the one side were the authenticists (“elitist snobs”), and on the other the clonephiles (“vape trash”) :18: It was like the Wild West!
giphy.gif

The industry was in a state of constant growth, so it could be argued that cloning didn’t damage the original high-end manufacturers, as they sold out regardless, and the clones may have contributed in fact to both their branding and sales :22:

Now the industry has changed since then, considerably, with first pod kits, then the scourge of disposables, and now back to pods? Regulations have exploded over the entire vaping world, markets like Australia are drying up, big tobacco has bought in, and Shenzen has consolidated. The quality of Chinese products, both original and clones has increased exponentially, and the big Chinese manufacturers are producing some top gear. There’s even, what I like to call, medium-end vape gear, like BP Mods, Cthulhu, Vaperz Cloud, and Ambition Mods. And now, we are seeing a move by several of the high-end manufacturers to design and produce more reasonably priced products. Companies like Atmizoo, Hussar, and Svoëmesto all have products that, even though they are not cheap, are an excellent alternative to clones :14: Here’s a perfect example:

yAMEcuJ.jpeg

When you can pick up an authentic piece of vape gear, designed and produced by the manufacturer, for about £50 (granted without the airflow pins), why would you buy the clone? :hmm:

The hobbyist manufacturing industry is suffering; smaller firms are disappearing right and left, costs are rising, and the cost of living increases have reduced purchasing power.

SHOULD WE BE BUYING CLONES ANYMORE?

There are a multitude of arguments why one should curtail their purchases of clones, some a bit well-worn, but perhaps even more relevant today:
  • Pride in ownership - this is my personal favorite, as I love my authentic gear more (I hope my clones don’t read this:18:). I’m proud I’ve invested in it.
  • Clear conscience - it’s wonderful not to feel guilty about undermining people’s livelihood.
  • Quality feeling - though not always the case, authentic gear often has far superior machining, attention to detail, and matching than clones
  • Support the vaping community - I think we all want a thriving, vibrant, and innovative vape industry. Most small manufacturers are also enthusiasts, so by supporting these designers and producers, you help the vaping industry stay relevant.
  • Service and customer relationship - if you’ve ever needed customer service from one, you know that most small manufacturers will bend over backwards to please their customers. That type of customer relationship is worth its weight in gold.
  • Spare parts - need a new o-ring or glass for your rta? True manufacturers will sell spare parts, even after the product is discontinued. That is, unless they go out of business, and this is even more incentive to buy their products and keep them alive.
Having never claimed to be a saint, I do purchase a clone now and again, but it is a rarer occurrence, and I’m always eyeing the possibility of buying high-end gear. This is where I am now on my vape journey :14:

Finally, hats off to you if you have read this entire post! Please feel free to be (thoroughly) in disagreement with me, and let me here the usual counter-arguments like: I can’t afford original gear, clones are made in the same factory, or that they vape the same as the authentic :18: Will you still go out and buy clones just like before you read this? I’m in no doubt some of you will :(

But here are some other examples of authentic gear, though still expensive, not being out reach for many of us…

0krRnF8.jpeg

i’ve been using the same dvarw clone since 2018, so there you go. but it seems clones have got much pricier than they used to be. the good old days of tenner clones with free postage from fasttech, and 5-packs of every spare bit you could imagine for a couple of quid. :)

Bought my fair share of clones and authentics over the years. Haven't bought a clone in quite a while tho. Buying a clone for me was usually for one of two reason. To see if I liked it enough to buy an authentic, or because some rare authentics were virtually impossible to acquire, so a decent clone was the next best thing.

Bought way too much stuff back in the day that got used once or twice and then relegated to the abyss as the next piece of kit winked at me. Buying only authentics would have been a total waste of a considerable amount of extra cash. But I am a believer that if you buy a clone and like it and use it, then you should consider supporting the makers and pick up an authentic. That's just my opinion.

Things have changed tho. These days I hardly buy any kit and am very selective about what I do buy, so I would just go for an authentic piece of kit right off the bat.

Authentics would be cheaper if there were no clones, the OG guy would be safe to make continuous bigger runs, clones and of course run costs of small batches limit this.

I dont drive a Rolls Royce and I dont own a Rolex but I still get where I want to go and my Sekonda keeps accurate time.
Is there a middle ground or is my dovpo and lost vape gear masquerading as higher end stuff ? If I can get exactly what I want out of my gear for 70 quid why pay 300. At the end of the day my hardware is just a tool to keep me off cigs

I dont drive a Rolls Royce and I dont own a Rolex but I still get where I want to go and my Sekonda keeps accurate time.
Is there a middle ground or is my dovpo and lost vape gear masquerading as higher end stuff ? If I can get exactly what I want out of my gear for 70 quid why pay 300. At the end of the day my hardware is just a tool to keep me off cigs

If your gear is all original manufacture, then it's not a clone no matter the price.

It's a measure of where you are in your vape journey how much you buy. When first starting out most are like a dog with two dicks wanting to try everything but as we home in on our preferences, purchases become fewer.

Authentics would be cheaper if there were no clones, the OG guy would be safe to make continuous bigger runs, clones and of course run costs of small batches limit this.

i don’t think it’s quite so simple. limited runs and scarcity are a means to create exclusivity and prestige among the more weirdo high enders. as is the existence of clones, for that matter.

this would be your exclusive facebook group monstrosities rather than kayfuns and whatnot.

so maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle :)

I wrote this post equally for the newer apes as much as for us “established” vapers. There are, of course, high-end products that are absurdly expensive, but my point was that gear from some of the small manufacturers, like Atmizoo, is actually quite attainable, and imo worth the money :2thumbsup:

@Mitz has pointed out what I feel may be the best argument for purchasing a clone…testing to see if you would like an authentic version :22: I can readily attest to this, as my first authentic rta was a Kayfun Lite Plus, purchased after trying out a £8 clone. The only caveat I have, and it is a bit problematic, is knowing if the clone is an exact duplicate of the original. If not, the point is mute :56:

And @vapervince , I am not disparaging you at all, I do understand your standpoint, but I’d like to relay my response when a former national team manager tried to convince me that kick-and-run football was best because winning was the only consideration…my reply? It’s not just if you win, but how you win. And that’s how I feel about vaping these days. Personally, I love the feeling of vaping on quality gear; it doesn’t always taste better, but I do admire it between draws ;)

i don’t think it’s quite so simple. limited runs and scarcity are a means to create exclusivity and prestige among the more weirdo high enders. as is the existence of clones, for that matter.

this would be your exclusive facebook group monstrosities rather than kayfuns and whatnot.

so maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle :)

Aye there will always be Ultras ....the bloke in his shed/workshop has sometimes to do a list though to gauge interest in a run, cos that run needs paid for some up front and before any other runs are considered....folks think it's scarce and exclusive but it's really not.....it's affordability of the maker, the vast majority of the time and how many runs he can afford before the cloners arrive.

Back
Top Bottom