What's new

"more than half of vapers have given up smoking"

killyman glens

Postman
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39823325

I'd have thought the figure would be higher but then when you think about it, they're probably talking about anyone who has actually given vaping a proper go, in which case it's incredible to think that more than half of people who've tried it have succeeded in giving up completely. I'm sure none of the usual cessation aids have a success rate so high.

Interesting that there are an estimated 2.9 million vapers. I'm a bit of a hermit but when I venture out It seems to me like everyone is vaping.
Still 9 million smokers continuing to chuff along with tobacco though.

Interesting that there are an estimated 2.9 million vapers. I'm a bit of a hermit but when I venture out It seems to me like everyone is vaping.
Still 9 million smokers continuing to chuff along with tobacco though.
I think people just vape more so they're more noticeable. When you smoked you'd find a corner, smoke your cigarette then not have another for a while. Vaping is more of a "little and often" thing.
I think even if the figures are correct, reaching a level of 1/3 the number of smokers in just a few years is a success in itself.

Much of the criticism of vaping seems to be "kids are going to do it because it looks cool and it'll lead them to smoking"
Part 2 of that statement is patently bollocks. No one who has ever vaped properly could have a cigarette and tell you with a straight face that it was more enjoyable.
Part 1? So what. Anyone who does start vaping is likely a person who would have taken up smoking if vaping wasn't around. We shouldn't be encouraging non smokers from taking up vaping, but at the end of the day, if it's that or smoking (which it is) then they're still better off than they would have been smoking.

The last line annoys me: "But critics say there is no convincing evidence that e-cigarettes help people quit smoking and argue they could even encourage non-smokers to start." What critics and who are they?

It's not just reporting on vaping or just the BBC. I see this sort of thing all the time in the news. I get they need to have some sort of, opposing view / balance / conflict to sell the story, but without knowing about who they are quoting, how does the reader know what to make of it?

They could have just left it butI think sometimes a single line like that is better than having no criticism at all.

It looks even more ridiculous beside the bodies the BBC mentioned who are endorsing vaping to have a single line that people bang on about with zero evidence.

It comes across as them taking the piss. "look what all these actual experts are saying about how good vaping is. BTW, some critics are still saying this shit"

Last edited:
Statistics and polls. It's easier to keep track of smokers by cigarette sales figures etc. Vaping is a different ball game and it's still early days, I think 2.9million might be a low estimate. In my work place (about 500 plus people) its about 9/1 with vapers / smokers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39823325

I'd have thought the figure would be higher but then when you think about it, they're probably talking about anyone who has actually given vaping a proper go, in which case it's incredible to think that more than half of people who've tried it have succeeded in giving up completely. I'm sure none of the usual cessation aids have a success rate so high.

Yes. Everyone I know who vapes properly has stopped smoking and vapers I meet in the street tell me they have too and would never go back to smoking.

Statistics and polls. It's easier to keep track of smokers by cigarette sales figures etc. Vaping is a different ball game and it's still early days, I think 2.9million might be a low estimate. In my work place (about 500 plus people) its about 9/1 with vapers / smokers

I am seeing more and more vapers out and about nowadays. In the last 2 years it has increased significantly. I think the number of sub Ohm e cigs on the market has something to do with that- seeing a lot of sub Ohmers on the streets!

The last line annoys me: "But critics say there is no convincing evidence that e-cigarettes help people quit smoking and argue they could even encourage non-smokers to start." What critics and who are they?

It's not just reporting on vaping or just the BBC. I see this sort of thing all the time in the news. I get they need to have some sort of, opposing view / balance / conflict to sell the story, but without knowing about who they are quoting, how does the reader know what to make of it?

There is just no way I could have stopped without a good e cig! I think the powers that be are miffed smokers have more success by going to an e cig shop than going to the NHS smoking cessation centres and slapping on nicotine patches lol. I can't believe people would use those things over an e cig.

Back
Top Bottom