What's new

New to vaping need advice.. Axierty Alert!

Welcome to POTV and congratulations on making what is going to be one of the best decisions you will ever make, to quit smoking, vaping is probably the most successful smoking cessation method around and many of us vapers choose to continue vaping as kind of a hobby even after successfully quitting smoking.
When you first give up smoking your cravings are all over the place and it can take a week or so to find a happy medium with your vape, and although in its` neat form nicotine is toxic, in the amounts that will be absorbed through vaping, even in the strongest concentration, will do you no harm.
At the stage that you`re at the main thing is to not think that vaping isn`t working for you and go back to smoking, you`ll soon find a juice that suits your taste and a nicotine level that suits your cravings and before long you`ll probably be looking at reducing the amount of nicotine in your vape.

The transition period of moving from combustible tobacco to vaping can often be a bit difficult at first, but normally it eases after the first week and by the end of week 2 or 3 is a distant memory.

What is frequently overlooked is nicotine isn't the only thing that is addictive in smoking cigarettes - your body will also be used to inhaling hundreds of toxins along with all the tar and dogshit that goes along with inhaling a bonfire.

When you first start vaping, although you have a source of nicotine, the general dogshit is missing and you have probably become accustomed to it. The tobacco industry have concentrated attention on nicotine over the years, probably because it diverts attention from the real killer that is the tar and toxins released when you inhale smoke from what is basically a mini forest fire, so it is very easy to overlook the fact that you may be missing the dogshit.

Although withdrawal symptoms are unpleasant, because you are still getting nicotine in your vape you are probably experiencing 'withdrawal-lite' which most people will experience when they try to stop smoking. As you've got through the fist few days, which is the worst, just stick with it and it will get easier as the days pass.

On the subject of is your nic too high - personally I wouldn't worry too much for the first few weeks, the important thing is satisfying your immediate nicotine cravings at first - as long as you aren't constantly chain vaping and using loads of juice or feeling dizzy and nauseous I wouldn't be too concerned. After you have got through the first couple of weeks I recommend you go into a Vape shop and buy a 10ml bottle of 20mg and 10mg nic salt juice and a bottle of 18mg and 12mg freebase liquid. this will give you the opportunity to see if you prefer Nic Salt or Freebase Nicotine and you will quickly find out if lower strength nicotine will satisfy your cravings - but just buy a single bottle of each type/strength so you don't piss away much money if you don't like a particular type of nicotine, and you will quickly find out if 10 or 12mg juice will be enough.

good luck and welcome to the forum.

Welcome and well done on switching to vaping. 18mg seems to be the usual level advised for smokers when they first switch to vaping. I've seen it said that on average you absorb about 1mg of nicotine from smoking a cigarette, if so and you smoke 20 a day that's 20mg. If vaping 18mg juice the maximum you can absorb is 1.8mg x the number of mls you vape in a day, e.g. 10ml would be 18mg.

Hi James and welcome to the Forum.
The main thing I found when giving up cigarettes was to break the habit of smoking.
You could keep some cigarettes for use after a meal or when having alcahol.
This will give you space and time while relaxing at home to get to the Vape set up that suits you best.
Your Vape shop has provided you with a good first kit and 18mg nic strength is very suitable.

The level of nicotine in normal vape juice won't do you any harm. When I first started vaping after giving up roll ups I found stronger was better. You would soon know if you've gone too high because it would be too harsh on your throat. In those days the highest juice generally available was 24mg which is what I started with. Then, over time, I found I was happier bringing the nic level down.

You've done yourself the biggest favour by giving up the cigarettes so congratulations on your choice and enjoy your vaping journey.

Hello guys I’m James

so I bought a Innokin Limax kit 2 days ago.. I stated to the person behind the counter that I smoke about 20 a day but roughly I smoke 15-20 maybe I should of stated that… anyway they have put me on 18ml with a 10-14w coils in my vape…

now what my concern is and my axierty is hitting the roof, is 18ml to strong for me considering I smoked 15-20 a day that’s already rolled cigarettes what I’m really concerned with is I could have Nicotine over dose or summit and I’ll become really unwell and die… I know paranoid much but I can’t help it… since vaping I have been fine but it’s only been 2 days and when I have a drag it’s been about 3 seconds as it has a timer on it.. obvious I have a few hits lasting 3 seconds to get rid of the craving or when I feel like I need a drag… I don’t feel sick or anything or even light headed but what what my main concern is that 18ml is actually to strong for me and I need to go weaker and I’m on 18ml for no reason… and that I won’t have side effects until a good few days use like a delayed reaction…

can someone please help me I’m desperate..View attachment 333511

18mg is fine... 2 of my mates still vape 18mg after years of vaping.

The strength of the liquid really has nothing to do with how many cigarettes you smoked.

It's really about how much of that liquid you are vaping a day. If you go weaker now you'll probably just end up vaping more. It would be really difficult (if not impossible) to make yourself seriously unwell (let alone die) You used to smoke, so you are used to inhaling nicotine, your body will tell you when you've vaped enough to calm those cravings down.

When I first gave up I did nothing but sit at my kitchen table vaping all day, it was the only way I could stop myself smoking. But after a while you will settle into a routine and I would suggest trying to match your vaping habits with your smoking habit.

So if you smoked your first cigarette with a coffee in the morning, do the same with your vape..... a typical cigarette only lasts about 10 puffs, so try having 10 puffs on your vape (over 5 or 10 minutes) and treat that like having a cigarette and see if that helps.

The success of switching depends on getting enough nicotine for a lot of people, you really don't need to worry about consuming too much... some people smoke 60 fags a day... it's not the nicotine that kills them or makes them ill.

I vape around 10ml of 12mg a day... if you are vaping 5ml of 18mg, then that's less nicotine than I consume daily and I've not smoked for 7 years.

Unless you are blasting though 30ml then I don't think it's excessive for someone wanting to stop smoking. Vape what you need to stop you smoking is really important.

Actually 18mg is pretty low... and it's only the law (now) that makes 20mg the maximum you can buy in a vape... before the TPD rules many people vaped 24mg or even 30mg because that's what they needed.

Juul pods were 50mg in the US and around the world when they first came out.

Stop worrying, please...

Thank you guys for the support much appreciated… if some of you could please look at my new forum I have come across another issue and I would like some people to give me their opinion and advice thank you it’s called MTL advice

Hi James and welcome to the planet.
There's already some great advice on both your posts so can't add much. Just a heads up as I got a little confused when you mentioned to check your forum, best to call them your new post in a new thread.
Good luck with your vaping journey.

Back
Top Bottom