What's new

Newbie here!

DRB

I'm new to vaping after being an avid smoker for 45 years. After a form of asthma attack and given steroid inhalers (hospitalised for two days), I tried the nicotene salt (no flavour as I do not like the flavoured vapes) and using the Uwel Whirl F pod. This had a smoother intake (mouth to lung) and (believe me), I tried a few that where too strong. Its been 6 weeks not smoking and 4 weeks vaping,& I have found breathing and walking so much better. Also I'm sleeping 8 hours plus (but grinding my teeth! Is this common? (LOL).
Is vaping OK after being hospitalised due to cigarette damage?
Also, whilst the muscus coughs are going (slowly) and clear chest (thankfully) - does anyone find the smokers cough still there (for a while anyway?)
Thanks for a great forum by the way!

Hi @DRB and welcome to the planet.

It might be easier to start a new post so it gets seen easier. Green button called Post Thread.

As youve smoked for 45 years then yes it will take a good few week for the detox to clear out the lungs of shite thats built up over the years.
I smoked 20-30 a day for 37 years and luckily after a couple of months my chest xrays were totally clear and similar to a non smoker.
Sadly some do have damage and no amount of time will totally clear it but it will still be much better than when you smoked.
After being in hospital it depends if you had an operation or just recovery. after ops its advised not to vape for a while as it hinders the healing process.
I think we all suffered with a cough when we first started but this should clear after 2-4 weeks. If it doesnt then it could be the juice your vaping. i cant handl salts which made me cough but i can get through 50ml a day of freebase without a cough in sight.

np.JPG

I've moved the posts to a new thread.

Welcome to the forum @DRB

Thanks so much everyone - apologies for posting in the wrong place. Great forum and really informative in regards to vaping, vaping liquids, vapes, coils etc. I've now found the right liquid for me (Nic salt 50 50/triple menthol with 10mg of nicotine). I still use the low powered pod as it is very smooth on the throat.

I now purchase my vape liquid online as my local vape shop tends to appeal to younger vapers (meaning my age group are seeking an ex- smokers type of vape flavour or hit rather then the funky flavours). The assistant (whilst helpful), is young and really did not understand what an "old!" 45 year Old Holborn roll upper was looking for, (not his fault).

My coughing/phlem has reduced dramatically (mucous/phlem cough has gone), as has my (upped) oxygen levels. I walk a mile per day with no issues (6 weeks off roll ups now). There is a period of itching,but I'm informed this is due to my small blood vessels expanding back to normal, (I was not aware that blood vessels shrink to a scary level due to smoking).

However, I'm not one to judge cigarette smokers as it may take a scare (health wise - as was the case with me)

I will advise potential cigarette smoker quitters this ; use a low powered vape to come of the fags with a 50 50 nic shot ( try the 20 mg nicotine at first as I was a 50 roll up per day), it really does the business for previous heavy smokers and although the plan is to mix the nic shot with a flavour, it does the business (flavourless), with the awful initial nicotine cravings without messing with your taste buds when it comes to food (and you will snack a lot!).

Slowly the strong nicotine will eventually start tickle your throat, or "fur ball", your chest - so ease down to 12 mg (or 10 mg nicotine), but stay with the 50 50 PG/VG. See how it goes from there - you may wish to ease down to 5mg.
I must of spent about £60 on so many vape liquids and vapes - but it was trial and error for me, and oddly enough it was due to finding a (previous failed attempt at quitting smoking for vapes) a 50 50, 12 mg, triple menthol vape juice I had forgot about. It done the business for me (taste wise), but the taste will be a personal choice. I now use the 50 50 VG PG and 10 MG Nicotine and I am very comfortable with this formula of vape.

Whilst there is plenty of (mis information in my view) on the dangers of vaping, I managed to produce/find this ( Public Health England (PHE)) study : https://www.gov.uk/government/news/phe-publishes-independent-expert-e-cigarettes-evidence-review.

Oddly enough, the article passed to me was from a fellow vaping newbie from Canada, as (in their view) , the anti-vaping organisations tend to be big pharma groups or big funded tobacco rganisations. They found the UK medical articles and UK medical (NHS) more supportive and accurate.
I've found this forum more neutral, honest, & a big thrust to seek medical advice to those suffering from side-effects from vaping (not many but as with everything,some things may not work for everyone, and it is impossible to medically adjudicate folk with previous respitory ailments via a forum).

Great post @DRB and glad to hear you found what works for you.
Ive not been in a vape shop for at least 7 years as like you ive found what works for me on the net which is usually a lot cheaper than buying from shops.
If in future you want to try some other flavours then just holler on here as we all try to advise as best we can.
worth bookmarking for future reference POTV Vendors & Recommended E Liquid Suppliers

Back
Top Bottom