What's new

Propaganda and fear tactics... unethical?

they have a team of crack culture war propagandists from the former revolutionary communist party.

Some may see it as scare tactics, others may see it as trying to impress on people the serious consequences of their selfishness / stupidity. Stopping the spread of a deadly virus requires something a bit more impactful than "keep your town tidy and please put your litter in the bin".

Plus, if they approached it in a softer way, people would be harping on about how they should have taken it more seriously.

Plus, it's not scare tactics if it's true, is it? Shitloads of people have died from covid.

I can't believe I'm defending this government.

I would say it’s unethical (I can’t read the article without signing up for a free trial with the Telegraph). I don’t think I’ve ever expected ethical behaviour from governments though - I wish we lived in a world where we could expect it from politicians, but we don’t.

The Behavioural Insights Team (Nudge Unit) isn't part of the government anymore, they sold it to the charity Nesta in 2014.

Is that ethical?

Last edited:
The Behavioural Insights Team (Nudge Unit) isn't part of the government anymore, they sold it to the charity Nesta in 2014.

Is that ethical?

i would say no. yet i think others would say yes. many people were hugely concerned that corbyn wanted to nationalise the broadband network, remember? so presumably have more trust in private corporations when it comes to ethical matters. :)

i finally found an article i could access to read about this. the person leading it, a dr gary sidley, seems like a bit of a propagandist himself and is part of a group pushing for a “people’s lockdown enquiry” that includes baroness claire fox from the revolutionary communist party, and lawrence fox. (i wonder if those two are related?). given the activities of those two my guess is that this is a bunk non story. that would also explain why it’s only been reported in the mail, the telegraph and rt. :)

Back
Top Bottom