What's new

Question about mixing and different Nic solutions

KarenD

Initiate
Hi all!
Firstly, apologies if this is in the wrong area, but it's a question about experiences rather than a recipe. I've been mixing for a year using Nicotine from http://www.thealchemistscupboard.co.uk/product/72-mgml-nicotine/ (plus PG/VG from the same place and flavours from various places). I recently got some of this http://www.darkstarvapour.co.uk/shop/72mg-nicotine.

My question is two fold really - First of all has anyone tried the second product and what are your thoughts?

The second is a newbie question (sorry, maths is NOT my strong point!), I use a standard mixing calculator. I've just produced a batch of eliquid, combining the VG and Nicotine as one amount (I got the VG version from Darkstar, 250ml size) then adding flavour and PG in usual amounts (to complicate things, I produce two lots, 8mg for my iStick (VG only) and 14mg for my ego travel (combo of VG and PG)) - am I doing the mixing right in combining the two? (a dumb question, perhaps... but....)

The eliquid produced is very harsh, not at all like my previous batches, I feel headachey straight away and it's not as "clean" to vape.

Any thoughts or input really appreciated!
Many thanks in advance, Karen :)

@KarenD, Darkstar nicotine is very popular and well regarded around these parts.

I'm a little unclear about your second question but generally speaking it is best to calculate (using a mixing calculator like e-Juice Me Up) and add each element separately.

I've found that simply changing to a different eliquid can have this effect.

As long as the sensation doesn't go deep down into your chest or constricts the back of your ears it's just a matter of getting used to it.

As said above darkstar are very popular.
I also do not understand second question but an instant headache and harshness and I would be thinking that I put in too much nicotine, Perhaps absentmindedly putting it in twice or just putting a wrong number in the calculator.

Thank you all for your quick replies - very much appreciated. Good to hear about the new supplier, I've more or less stuck with the same one for a long time but due to PayPal issues had to find somewhere else.

So, my old calculations were Nic 1.11, VG 5.9, Flavourings 3.0 for 10ml at 8mg strength for my iStick (I go strong on flavour), I combined VG + Nic to 7.01 then just added the flavour on top with the new DarkStar Nic (pre mixed) - would expect a similar kind of mix (VG doesn't really differ, I've tried loads of different kinds) but for some reason this batch is very "cloggy" it gurgles and isn't a smooth vape at all, plus seems a bit harsh, wondering why, if I'd done something wrong or if it's just the change that's different, I'm no expert whatsoever on mixing, it has to be said! - same experience with the mix I've done for ego - with PG added so thins it out a bit anyway.

Thanks again.

@KarenD If the flavour is PG based both mixes come out as 70VG/30PG or 100VG if VG based. Try mixing a small batch with no flavour to eliminate that being the cause of the harshness. Old Nic can cause harshness/peppery taste so may be that. You don't say what tank/coils you're using but would be surprised if pre made coils could handle 100VG & many struggle with 70/30.
As has been suggested try using ejuicemup, it's very easy to use & ability to save recipes for future mixing.

Thanks @nwhornet PG based flavours, I use an eGo ONE CT complete unit with 0.5 coil (travel) and a Kangertech tank with 0.5 coil currently on a larger old eGo ONE battery (home) - odd combo I know, my iStick battery conked out and this works fine. Both have been OK for a year, no clugging at all, even using such high VG, this is the first time I've had any problems, using new mix, it's glooped up for some reason, usually smooth on both, new mix awful so trying to work out why this could be. Calculations were OK, found ideal mix for me, higher PG too harsh for me personally.

Only thing I can think of is the original VG nic was diluted with distilled water (giving a thinner liquid) but looking at the website there's no mention of this. Cold weather will affect VG as has already been stated.
As I said try a mix without flavouring & one without nic to elimnate one or the other.
I've used Darkstar nic (albeit PG) for a year & had no issues but doesn't mean you have a bad batch. Try the 2 mixes & if it's the nic get in touch with Darkstar.

Good luck

I use VG based Nic from DarkStar and it's been fine.
Two things strike me (and I may be misreading you):
1. VG Nic is just Nic, if your recipe requires VG that's separate
2. 10ml is a very small amount so I wonder how you measure? if you're being very careful and using an accurate scales to mix by weight then it should be ok but if you are trying to measure drops or ml then a drop or two or a ml or two out on the Nic will make a significant difference in a 10ml batch

@nwhornet - thank you for your reply, that's really useful info, think I need to sort out the question about the mixing, going by reply from @mannikon -

1. VG Nic is just Nic, if your recipe requires VG that's separate

This is the part that's confusing me (on my original question) - again, sorry if this is a very newbie question but feel that I'm getting it wrong here.

I used to buy this: http://www.thealchemistscupboard.co.uk/product/72-mgml-nicotine/
I just bought this: http://www.darkstarvapour.co.uk/72mg-vg-nicotine

Going by the pricing and the consistency, the two products are miles apart. The one from Alchemists is very thin (VG), the one from Darkstar is very thick (also VG) - this is where I'm getting confused... leading me to think (again, I'm going by the price, consistency & also a reply I got from Darkstar, pasted below) that this new product (Darkstar) is an "already combined" mix - if I'm wrong, and appears I could be, I risk serious problems trying to vape at such high levels. This is confusing me no end and still very unclear.

----

MY EMAIL

Hi, just received order, many thanks.

I wonder if you can answer an easy question for me? I usually buy from these guys http://www.thealchemistscupboard.co.uk/product/72-mgml-nicotine/ - sorry for the competitor link! - question is, if diluted in VG (http://www.darkstarvapour.co.uk/shop/72mg-nicotine/72mg-pg-nicotine bought), do I just combine my Nicotine and VG measurements as one, then add usual amounts of PG and flavour?

The answer is probably yes, but I'm fairly new to mixing, and although I use a calculator wanted to check!

THEIR EMAIL

Hi Karen,

Thank you for your order. Yes you are right!
Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Kind regards,
Jen
Customer Service Representative

cleardot.gif

Back
Top Bottom