What's new

Selling/Trading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was me that mentioned it, because it didn't sit right with me.

I've won items on here before, and after giving them a good try and finding that they weren't for me, have passed them on, for free the same way that I got them.

The item offered in the trade hadn't even been opened. This isn't something that's been left in a cupboard and forgotten about and then the winner realised that they didn't really want it. It was a fresh win, only a week or so old. I asked myself "Why would someone enter a giveaway for something they didn't want", and then it showed up as something for a trade. Didn't look right to me and certainly didn't seem within the spirit we have on this forum.

I just called it as I saw it, as I always do.

Fair comments, the only problem for me is all the folks that jumped on the OP for what he has decided to do. Whether it sits right or wrong with anyone it isn't anyones business. This is what causes lots of everyday arguments and sometimes violence. Folks poking into others business. Yet no one is perfect. Not having a go at you @Banjostring i am just trying to make you see things both sides of a coin. You are lets say annoyed about the post, but you have also probably offended the OP. This could have been avoided by saying nowt. Freedom of speech gives you the right to but as said switch roles and you would feel hard done by especially because it's been put on a forum for the world to see. With others adding fuel to it the op could feel bullied. He might be a totally upstanding bloke and through an error gets crap, If someone wants to grass on folks, i think PM a mod do not plaster it all over the forum for the world to see. You could end up regretting it if someone took legal action. Everything needs some form of moderating and rules, but there is no need for piffling rules, it's piffling rules that destroy lives. ie tpd half the rules are piffle, if not all. Just imagine the op had won £40 would you say it's wrong for them to spend the £40 in the classifieds?. on

Fair comments, the only problem for me is all the folks that jumped on the OP for what he has decided to do. Whether it sits right or wrong with anyone it isn't anyones business. This is what causes lots of everyday arguments and sometimes violence. Folks poking into others business. Yet no one is perfect. Not having a go at you @Banjostring i am just trying to make you see things both sides of a coin. You are lets say annoyed about the post, but you have also probably offended the OP. This could have been avoided by saying nowt. Freedom of speech gives you the right to but as said switch roles and you would feel hard done by especially because it's been put on a forum for the world to see. With others adding fuel to it the op could feel bullied. He might be a totally upstanding bloke and through an error gets crap, If someone wants to grass on folks, i think PM a mod do not plaster it all over the forum for the world to see. You could end up regretting it if someone took legal action. Everything needs some form of moderating and rules, but there is no need for piffling rules, it's piffling rules that destroy lives. ie tpd half the rules are piffle, if not all. Just imagine the op had won £40 would you say it's wrong for them to spend the £40 in the classifieds?. on
Maybe we all need to go back and re read the cancel culture thread, lol

It was me that mentioned it, because it didn't sit right with me.

I've won items on here before, and after giving them a good try and finding that they weren't for me, have passed them on, for free the same way that I got them.

The item offered in the trade hadn't even been opened. This isn't something that's been left in a cupboard and forgotten about and then the winner realised that they didn't really want it. It was a fresh win, only a week or so old. I asked myself "Why would someone enter a giveaway for something they didn't want", and then it showed up as something for a trade. Didn't look right to me and certainly didn't seem within the spirit we have on this forum.

I just called it as I saw it, as I always do.

It had been opened. There's even a photo in the What Did Your Postie Bring You thread.

It was offered in good faith but you're entitled to your opinion and I'm not going to argue moral high ground or weather you should be policing other people's threads.

All the best ;)

If you don't win it someone else will... and chances are that someone else won't be any more 'deserving' than you! Have you seen how few people enter giveaways these days? ... because everyone is so bloody scared to put their name down in case they get called out. ... it's not right mate.

I used to do giveaways regularly. I stopped for exactly that reason. Got so sick and tired of the constant attacks on "freebie hunters" virtually every giveaway that I completely stopped paying attention to that entire section. People were slated for entering multiple giveaways even when they never won a single bloody thing! Left a very bad taste in my mouth. Only really looked in there again since becoming a mod and patrolling the forum's halls.

Last edited:
It had been opened. There's even a photo in the What Did Your Postie Bring You thread.

It was offered in good faith but you're entitled to your opinion and I'm not going to argue moral high ground or weather you should be policing other people's threads.

All the best ;)

This is the problem in a way, we have mods on the forum, some get real arsey some are great. It isn't for other members to police the forum, just the mods. If you live near me and grass you wouldn't last long. The only person you are responsible for is yourself.

I used to do giveaways regularly. I stopped for exactly that reason. Got so sick and tired of the constant attacks on "freebie hunters" virtually every giveaway that I completely stopped paying attention to that entire section. People were slated for entering multiple giveaways even when they never won a single bloody thing! Left a very bad taste in my mouth. Only really looked in there again after becoming a mod and patrolling the forum's halls.

Blanket ban giveaways then. and lets see how many members leave, then reopen giveaways, any moaners etc ban them from the Giveaway section. If and when i gift something its no longer mine and the new owner can do what they want with it, even if it's used for back door pleasure. The only way to ban freebie hunters is don't run a giveaway, sell it instead, if someone really wants it they will be happy to pay up.

Blanket ban giveaways then. and lets see how many members leave, then reopen giveaways, any moaners etc ban them from the Giveaway section. If and when i gift something its no longer mine and the new owner can do what they want with it, even if it's used for back door pleasure. The only way to ban freebie hunters is don't run a giveaway, sell it instead, if someone really wants it they will be happy to pay up.

I don't think that's necessary. I'm talking as a member here, not as a moderator but as far as I'm concerned as long as people contribute to the forum then they're very welcome to enter any giveaway of mine. If anybody wants to restrict who enters their giveaways then they can do so. It wasn't uncommon for members giving items away to put rules in place, ie, entrants need to have 50 posts or 100 posts or they need to have been here a month or they need to have been active on the forum within the last month and not only have posted in giveaway threads exclusively. I see no problem in that. People can set rules for their giveaways. What's not needed in my opinion is bandwagoning and members patrolling the giveaway section, incessantly banging on about "freebie hunters" in every comp and giveaway. It creates an unpleasant atmosphere and puts genuine members off entering.

With regard to the OP subject matter (again, as a member not a moderator) I personally have no problem with someone wanting to trade a win for another item if everyone is open about what they're trading. If it's clear the item being traded is a comp win and another member wants to trade for it then sweet, two people get what they want. But like most members here, I don't think selling a win for cash is at all on. But trading it in the open or passing it on to someone else for free is not a problem in my own personal opinion. However, I also get why it bothers some members. Ultimately, it's up to the management to set the rules. At the end of the day this isn't an issue we see come up often on this forum as far as I am aware.

Anyways, I'll be doing a giveaway soon. I'm already about 250 posts overdue!

As I have already said, there is now plenty for The Team to discuss. So... Unless anyone else has anything pertinent to add? (If so please send me a PM :) )
I think we should now close this and a New Thread will appear once we have something to tell you all. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom